1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Are these loakes from BB?

I don't think AE has this type of nailing pattern.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Nailing pattern looks identical to my shell Leeds and Daltons -- seems standard for AE when they use a combination heel.

4. jembo

jembo Member

Hi all, would anyone know what model AEs these are? They essentially look like strands without the medallion on the toe cap. Thanks!

[​IMG]

5. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I had a pair of chili Regent Streets which are a LWB just on a different last I believe. Just like the MacNeils you are referencing, they were chili grain/calf combo. I absolutely love the chili color, especially in the sunlight.

Enjoy the pic. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. csc67

csc67 Senior member

From purely a width perspective - Would a 7.5E and an 8D in the 333 last be the same width OR would one be wider?

Thanks

7. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

For those interested, here is what my dark brown LBs look like during and after treatment with Obenauf's HDLP. The leather did darken significantly, but I don't think that's a negative thing in my case. I used a blow dryer to warm up the leather beforehand and applied the HDLP with my fingers. Then I hit them with the blow dryer again to facilitate the absorption process. You can literally see the leather sucking up the HDLP as it goes from a shiny wax to a matte texture. I then wiped them down to remove the excess wax and buffed them with an old cotton rag.

During (top is the untreated shoe):
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I actually like the darker color and think it will age well. I also feel much better about wearing them outside, as I have had a pair of leather boots destroyed by snow and salt before.

1 person likes this.
  8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Just finished some shell cleanup. Both pair needed a good brushing and I added a coat of Renovateur as well. Quick picture in sunlight to show the difference between dark brown shell Patriot and cappuccino shell Leeds.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Sweet, especially the Leeds!

10. rc121

rc121 Senior member

the 7.5E should be wider theoretically

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I think Kenilworths absolutely go with jeans. I wear my burgundy shell Kenilworths with jeans all the time. But to each their own.

1 person likes this.
  12. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Hey guys,

I usually use AE's conditioner cleaner for all my calf shoes. Is there any reason why i should be moving to a saphir product like Renovateur? I am struggling with any type of mirror finish, although a pair of Glasgows I have do look pretty good.

I am also using AE's tube polish instead of wax, should I switch that too?

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I have that shoe as well and really dig it. It's definitely on the casual side with the two different textures and brass eyelets.

It's on the 4 last, and has a heel cushion. It's really great with jeans. Even works with lighter washes, I think.

14. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

If you are happy with the AE conditioner, then there's probably little reason to switch to Renovateur. However, if you are looking for a mirror finish, then you need wax. I see a role for both cream polish and wax polish in every kit. Wax builds up and creates white cracks in the areas where the shoe creases, so I only use wax polish on the toe-box or other areas that don't crease. To apply wax, you have to put a little bit on, and then dip your finger in water and put a drop of water on the waxed area and work it in. This brings the paraffin to the surface and creates the mirror shine. My 5th Ave are over 20 years old and are now far from perfect, but I use wax to get something close to a mirror shine on them. My wife objects to the ostentatiousness of a mirror shine, so I have to be careful just how much shine I put on my shoes.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

^ agree with the advice above on all counts. Also those look stunning for 20 years old.

16. md2010

md2010 Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

That's one of the frustrating things about dealing with AE. I know that this is an "appreciation" thread, and I love AE shoes (own nearly 20 pairs) but my burgundy shell Daltons are the only pair of AE shell cordovan that arrived at my door with zero defects. They seem to have consistent struggles in working with shell cordovan. I don't believe I ever had to send a pair of calf AEs back due to defects...but my shell Park Aves, Patriots, MacNeils and now my Jeffersons had a problem. I'm now at the point where I'm reluctant to buy shell from AE. I have had better luck with Alden shell in terms of quality, so they may become my go-to for shell in the future.

18. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I find it more surprising that you've never seen an AE non-shell shoe without defects. I see them all the time (although they're usually minor).

Alden is certainly better with shell, but that's primarily due to their excellent finishing/glaze. They have their share of issues.

19. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Great looking shine. Are you referring to this wax?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF652_1_40000000001_-1_

Rather than buying all the colors, would it make sense to buy neutral? That way you can get the proper shine without adding more color to the shoe. I feel that the "premium shoe polish" is enough to restore the shoe's color.

20. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

That's an old Clifton from when the Clifton was a balmoral rather than a blucher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.