1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior Member

I am wondering If you have the Dalton boot already, just in calf of shell? I am trying to get an opinion on how the RL Slaton, Saunders, and Sanderson fit, in comparison to the dalton. Some people say its RL has narrow fits, others dont.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

Despite what I have spent on footwear over the years I have been on occasion accused by some that know me as being tighter than the bark on a tree. Being retired military I have purchased many of my AE's through AAFES at discount. The discount is not near as good as it was as recently as 2 years ago but it is still less than full price. Most of my calf have been purchased that way and a number of my shell. My last 3 shell have been full price not using the military exchange as I feel they are still worth the price I paid. With luck my cappuccino shell Bayfields will be here today (full price minus MTO fee waived) and they will be my 18th shell AE footwear. I think, might have missed one or two in my head doing a quick count. So for shell 15 at discount or as seconds and 3 at full price. Two Alden's one at full price which ended up being ~$740 and not to start an Alden vs. AE war but feel they were not worth the additional cost above AE. And a shell C&J for RL at almost half price which was a bargain but the fit is less than perfect so they are going to be sold.

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    What products did you use?

In what order did you use the products?

Any drying time?

With the brushing, did you alternate between light and hard brushing - or keep it the same?

Did you use a cloth at all?

Thanks for your post,

David

4. David Copeland

Back in 1999 when my income shot straight up, I was less interested in discounts and more interested in getting what I wanted. After a professional fit, I purchased a half-dozen shoes at full price. When I happen to call AE over some other questions, they mentioned something called "seconds" with the same return guarantee but with substantial discounts. I bought three more pair at the seconds price, all of which appeared to me as flawless.

When I determined I wanted the Long Branch boot, I was less inclined to wait for a sale - and after another professional fit - paid full price. Three weeks later, the Long Branch was advertised on sale at another source, and the original store refunded $150 on my credit card to price match.

Deals are okay, and I love window shopping. But if I want something, then waiting for a discount is not at the top of the list.

David

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

5. David Copeland

All of those colors would go well with denim. The bourbon and walnut can be used with business dress as well.

6. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I'm also curious...

7. evolved

evolved Senior Member

I think I've been fortunate with my purchases:

Walnut Strands - $230
    Walnut Daltons - $260
    Brown CXL Bayfield 2nds - $150
    Brown Burnished Delrays - $210
    Black Custom Calf McAllisters - $150

I'm targeting a pair of shell something or others later this year and should be able to get them at a healthy discount as well [​IMG]

8. green garden

green garden Senior Member

The patina of the AE burgundy shell is totally different from a Alden #8. I really like the #8 Alden eggplant color when it's new vs. the burgundy shade of AEs. But as this picture shows, the AE burgundy takes on more of a cherry hue overtime. I think it is lovely. The Aldens can take a more brownish hue. In fact I've seen somebody post a 10 yr old #8 that looked like cigar. So for those of us who can't get our hands on a cigar, buy a #8 and wait 10 years. It's the same wait time for a brand new cigar anyway [​IMG]. Needless to say, the AE burgundy and Alden #8 both have a place in my collection.

9. OlafG

OlafG Senior Member

Was the brown Bayfields CXL or is that special make up?

I don't think sizing up in length would be good as my 5 and 1 last shoes are already on the long side but I need the width.

I'm thinking of buying the following this weekend:

Bayfields - $167
    Rapid City - $159
    Shell Dalton - $439
    -OR-
    Chocolate Dalton $199

The last one is tough. I'm digging the look of shell, but I'm not sure as they're more than twice the price of the calf ones.

10. green garden

green garden Senior Member

Yes. I will definitely post a report in 8 weeks time if everything works out - fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.

11. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior Member

yeah... sales are good and all, but one must be aware of the dangers of buying things because they are a good deal. It's better to buy what you really want at full price than buying something you like, but don't love at a discount price. When you consider how long you will be wearing the shoes, spending an extra $100 on something is inconsequential.

I say save your money and buy what you really truly love. If there are shoes that you love at a discount price, great! However, one should never use "well, they are on sale..." as a reason to make a purchase. Buying things because they are on sale can turn into a serious mental illness. Such habits can ruin lives, and no, I'm not joking.

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I agree. I bought a pair of AE that I wasn't sure if I loved cause they were on sale. I may have worn them twice in a year. So instead of putting that money towards something I knew I wanted, I essentially wasted the money.

13. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior Member

I know a lady who is like a second mother to me. She works at a clothing store, so she gets discounts on all the clothes. She is a hoarder. We almost got her on the TV show about hoarders, but they said she was too organized to be on the show. Since her husband drowned in a triathlon in 2008 every room of her rather large house (with the exception of her bedroom) has been full, wall to wall, ceiling to floor of stuff she bought because it was on sale.

One day, her son came over to get his deceased father's car out of the garage to sell it and give the money to his mom. In order to do so he spent an hour or so moving unopened boxes of cuisinarts, kitchenaides, frye boots, and loads of other shoes from nordstrom just to clear a path to back the car out of the garage.

It started as bargain shopping, which turned into an addiction, and following the tragic death of her husband it turned into a coping skill.

14. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Distinguished Member

Thanks Cold Iron!

15. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior Member

Received my shell Macneils today. They were seconds that I got from the shoe bank. There was some loose stitching in the heel area, which is the main problem with them. It's hard to believe that this big of a mistake could have happened during production. I'll keep them though as I do not see this being a major structural problem with the shoes. I can't wait to add them to the rotation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.