Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

The Stratford, the Sanderson, the Singleton, the Saunders, the Slaton, and the Gatsby are all made by AE.

I know the Sanderson in Tan Calf is popular, but I favor the Tan Calf and Khaki.

CH

[​IMG]

2. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

In the 3 last I size down and go up a width. I usually wear 9.5d. But in the three last I wear a 9e

3. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

The shell Bradley seconds I picked up a few months ago continue to come to life after a lot of brushing and conditioning...

[​IMG]

4. fastfiat81

fastfiat81 Active Member

Yes as CH mentioned. Here is my version of AE for RL tan and khaki (Illford) along with tan Saunders, brown Sandersons. :smarmy:

Checking the closet I see I have to start enforcing the one in one out policy. Also if AE ever makes the Dalton in suede I'm sunk...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. deburn

deburn Senior member

What happens if you drop it off at a retail store?

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

weird. I had a shipping label from j'ville sent over earlier this week. no mention of a $10 charge.. guess I'll wait to see what my CC shows in a week or so

7. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Holy crap. Nice work.

8. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Gorgeous. Your post coincided with me coming to terms that I have short/ wide feet with a high instep and probably am not a good fit for the 5 and 3 lasts. I might just have to try out the 1 lasted Leeds and Bradleys soon!

9. JoeFromTexas

JoeFromTexas Member

They are gorgeous and I'm a bit sick to part with them. However I need to thin the herd - I've got more shoes than I need and some expenses coming up that I have to deal with. I work in academia so these shoes don't get enough sunlight (I have a pair of brown and burgundy wingtips, non AE, that pair better with most of what I wear to the office, and some black cap toes, Clifton, for more formal occasions, and that's not mentioning my spectators, Strawfut, and boot collection, some of which I'm selling off as well). Good luck BCer!

10. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

There were to many excellent replies for me to multi-quote them all so I'll just say it to all of you. I appreciate all of your input on my questions about shell cordovan. After reading what you have to say, as well as the links you posted, I have learned a great deal about shell, and why people like it. While it does have unique characteristics about it, I have concluded (perhaps unjustly) that much of the appeal of shell cordovan comes from it's exclusivity, after all that's part of the joy of owning a great pair of shoes anyways isn't it? Not saying there is anything wrong with that, but at this point in my life (I'm 24 and still a student) I feel I just can't justify the purchase of a shell cordovan shoe, but there is a small chance I will indulge in the distant future.

Regardless I am still amazed at and grateful for the lengths you gents go to in order to lend a helping hand to some random guy on the internet. THANKS!

11. JoeFromTexas

JoeFromTexas Member

I don't know that I'm necessarily qualified to answer that, I own a pair of Cliftons and Strawfuts, both in 11.5 D, but I don't know which last they're made on. They both fit me well. The Rutledge has an elongated toe box, though not exaggeratedly so, so at first it feels like it's a little bit too long in the toe. But it seems that for such a toe box, you're not necessarily supposed to fill it out. I find that they fit very well and are very comfortable. They feel great when I walk in them and don't slip. I hope this helps in answering your question.

12. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

What the hell's the matter with you? Why so angry? Just because they're not your cup of tea, doesn't make them CG and also it's kind of insulting to anyone who might like them and also to AE. There's different shoes for different folks, who wants to live in a world with all shoes the same? And if they really are CG, why would you even want them for $99? It's alright to criticize or state your opinion, but that was just rude. Play nice.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  13. basiameda

basiameda Active Member

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Many folks (including me) have had success sizing down by .5 to get good fits on shoes made from the 333 last: rutledge, neumora, Franciscan, flatiron, larchmont, etc

But as always YMMV

15. rollinsay

rollinsay Active Member

Thanks for the perspective, Cold Iron. I think I will embrace them as a pleasant subtlety that makes them mine. After all, they're still perfectly black in all other light. Now if only I could get them to shine like yours... off to brush some more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.