Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Thanks...the right one was the most dried out, and now actually has a deeper than the left.

2. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Thanks. Even the 7 may work for you. I have an old split toe Hancock that feels like it has just as much room in the toe area as the Bradley.

3. branman1986

branman1986 New Member

I have long wide feet and a high instep and the 3 last actually fits me very well. The 5 is okay, but not perfect.

4. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Still thinking about the price to quality ratio and I was wondering how many people here pay full-price for Allen Edmonds. I have 14 pair of AE's. Of that total I paid full price for 5 of them (Walnut shell Daltons, Cappucchino shell Dundees, Brown Neumora, Brown Suede Cambridge, and Brown calf Fifth Street boot). The others were sourced through outlets and 2 pair were purchased from ebay.

I did get lucky several years back when AE put the shell Bradleys on their website for $250 for a few hours. I ordered and they honored it but I don't count those as being full price.

edit: As an addendum to this I have 7 pair of Aldens, 5 in shell, 1 in calf, and 1 in suede. I paid full price for all of them.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

5. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I have only paid full price for my two upcoming MTO. And in all honesty, if AE wasn't waiving the MTO fee, I probably wouldn't have ordered them.

Like you, Pastor, I have 7 pair of Aldens, 6 shell and 1 calf. I paid full price for all of them.

6. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

I paid full price for all my AEs. Presently, I only get to spend a few weeks at a time in the US/NYC and that is when I buy my shoes. I don't have the luxury of waiting for a sale to happen or returning any of the shoes that I don't like, so I go to a regular store, choose the pairs that I like (in the exact size that I like) and get them from there. On my last trip (last month), I ended up getting 3 pairs.

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Of my seven pair I paid full price for only the Wilberts -- the rest were obtained as closeouts, on sale, NOS eBay, or my fee-waived custom MacNeils. The curse and blessing of really oddly-sized feet is that when I do come across 14AA shoes they're usually marked way down; my three pair of shell altogether came in under $1k.

That said, if I were filling a glaring hole in my rotation (at this point only opera pumps and a black shell split-toe boot with a lugged sole - if only the Portland's 333 last existed in my size...), I'd jump at the chance to pay full price.

8. branman1986

branman1986 New Member

I have ten pairs, 3 are seconds I just bought yesterday with the labor day sale, 2 I bought on ebay, the rest were random sales(Nordstrom, the local AE store). None at full retail.

9. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

Actually, both of them where just kidding around.

10. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Nice. Did you pick these up as seconds? I'm looking for a suede chukka.

Are all of these made on the 2 last? I tried a pair of Sanderson recently and didn't have too much luck so I returned them. Are the Saunders on the same last?

11. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

The hell, when did they stoart offering these as a webgem!?

12. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Good catch, those are gorgeous... especially with that sole.

13. green garden

green garden Senior member

Cold Iron, yes I would love to see a side by side picture if it's possible. My issue here are 2 things. From a functional perspective, I have a narrow foot and low instep. The higher vamp lets the shoe envelope my foot much better. From an aesthetic point of view, I normally wear slim pants. If the vamp is short, then I think it may show my ankles which would be unsightly. It sounds like the difference is negligible. If you can confirm that as well, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

14. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I've got quite a few AE's and I've never paid full price, unless you include the MTO Neumoks for $199 (a STEAL)

Model Place Bought Price Full Retail
    Montecito 6pm.com
    $99​
    $250​
    Neumok AE (webgem)
    $199​
    $275​
    Finch ShoeBank
    $175​
    $295​
    Elgin ShoeBank
    $175​
    $295​
    Townley AE Cleveland
    $299​
    $595​
    Port Washington Amazon.com
    $59​
    $175​
    Park Ave BB ShoeBank
    $129​
    $368​
    Strand ShoeBank
    $129​
    $345​
    Total
    $1,264​
    $2,598​

Holy smokes that means I've spent $1264 on shoes in the past 12 months that would normally cost at full price $2598.

So that means I'm right at almost 51.35% off.

That doesn't include the eBay purchases of Alden and my Shoe Mart field trip that cost me $399.

15. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Let's see, I think I have 13 pairs of AE's. Of those I paid full price for 3 of them (MTO walnut shell Kenilworth, burg shell Bradley, Elgin). 4 are seconds, 1 from Nordstrom Rack, 1 from ebay, and the rest were discounted firsts.

I don't think I'm that inclined to pay the $345 or so retail price for AE's now because it's close enough to some brands with much higher quality (Carmina, Alfred Sargent, etc.) that the price/quality ratio is a little diminished. And also it's so easy to get AE's on sale, it's kind of hard to pay full price for them.

I had 9 (now 8) pairs of Aldens and paid full price for 4 of them. The ones I got on sale or discounted still cost much more than the on sale/discounted AE's though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.