• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice yesterday on the right products to use on AE shoes. I went to the local AE store and bought: two brushes, black and chili heel & sole edge dressing; and after reading a lot of reviews, ordered the Saphir Renovateur from Amazon (will grab Bick4 sometime next month)!

I noticed a few scratches on my Chili Fifth Avenue's and would like to know the best product to get rid of those scratches. The only product I have seen that would do the job is the Saphir Renovating Cream, but am not sure which color to get since Saphir has their own names different from the AE color schemes. What do you guys recommend for getting rid of scratches?

I noticed that on the Saphir site, the Repair cream is called "Edge Dressing & Renovating Recolorant Repair Cream", since this product could be used as edge dressing, then could I just use my Chili AE edge dressing on the scratches? If so, any specific way to do it?

Here are a few pics of the scratches:

View attachment 1074452

View attachment 1074453
DO NOT use edge dressing on the leather upper of your shoes. You need some cream polish. AE has some dark chili cream polish that should help:
https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-care/shoe-care/premium-shoe-polish/SF549.html

If it were me, I'd a couple layers of this, let it dry and buff, then finish off with some wax polish. I have a link to a MacNeil I did below and you can see how beat up the toes were in the before. Cream polish followed by wax on those. Good luck!

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/2018-shoe-revival-challenge.628668/page-27#post-9422940

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice yesterday on the right products to use on AE shoes. I went to the local AE store and bought: two brushes, black and chili heel & sole edge dressing; and after reading a lot of reviews, ordered the Saphir Renovateur from Amazon (will grab Bick4 sometime next month)!

I noticed a few scratches on my Chili Fifth Avenue's and would like to know the best product to get rid of those scratches. The only product I have seen that would do the job is the Saphir Renovating Cream, but am not sure which color to get since Saphir has their own names different from the AE color schemes. What do you guys recommend for getting rid of scratches?

I noticed that on the Saphir site, the Repair cream is called "Edge Dressing & Renovating Recolorant Repair Cream", since this product could be used as edge dressing, then could I just use my Chili AE edge dressing on the scratches? If so, any specific way to do it?

Here are a few pics of the scratches:

View attachment 1074452

View attachment 1074453
Don't use edge dressing on the upper! Edge dressing is more like a dye than a polish. you can use polish for edge dressing, but not the other way around

You'll need to apply several coats of polish to hide the scratches most likely.

paintball94

Reaction score
Don't use edge dressing on the upper! Edge dressing is more like a dye than a polish. you can use polish for edge dressing, but not the other way around

You'll need to apply several coats of polish to hide the scratches most likely.

I have the AE Premium Shoe Polish both in Black and Chili and once I get my Saphir Renovateur and completely re-condition then re-polish, I'll make sure to put a few layers (of the polish) on the scratches and hope for the best.

Any reason to use a wax or shine product even after the AE premium shoe polish? If so, what seems to be the best one I can grab on Amazon?

Factor Xll

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone answered this already because I fell behind and have been skimming posts, but I'd answer this question with a resounding yes. I've worn my McGregors with jeans, chinos, cords, and dressier pants. If I still needed to wear suits, I'd wear them with a suit. They are great multi-taskers, My .02.

Thank you for the reply, I went ahead and pulled the trigger already. Can't wait to get them.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the AE Premium Shoe Polish both in Black and Chili and once I get my Saphir Renovateur and completely re-condition then re-polish, I'll make sure to put a few layers (of the polish) on the scratches and hope for the best.

Any reason to use a wax or shine product even after the AE premium shoe polish? If so, what seems to be the best one I can grab on Amazon?
The wax would be for higher shine, and arguably a more protected finish. I'm not sure about that

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The wax provides a little more protection IMO. If you are interested in a higher shine you will need wax too, but just remember to keep the wax heavier coats on the harder areas of the shoes (toe box and counter(heel)) to avoid cracking. I'm partial to saphir wax polishes, but have also used Collonil and like that too. I hear the AE wax polishes are pretty good too.

paintball94

Reaction score
The wax provides a little more protection IMO. If you are interested in a higher shine you will need wax too, but just remember to keep the wax heavier coats on the harder areas of the shoes (toe box and counter(heel)) to avoid cracking. I'm partial to saphir wax polishes, but have also used Collonil and like that too. I hear the AE wax polishes are pretty good too.

If I wanted to go for the wax route on top of my AE polish, would a neutral wax be the best thing or does it make a difference if I am going color-specific? I would like to protection from scratches, weather, etc. as well as somewhat of a moderate shine.

Do you generally wax after every polish? Is there a difference between AE Carnauba (neutral) wax and Lincoln (neutral) wax for these reasons I listed above? (Collonil is a lot pricier and is not included in Prime, so it's a no-go for me at the moment)

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let me start by saying, I have not used any of the stuff in the new labeled packaging so I'm not sure if they've relabeled things or made changes.

Your best bet for the scuffs is AE Shoe Cream (in the jar). For chili, I would try Light Brown first, though your pair seems VERY dark, almost brown, so you may be better off with Dark Brown. The cream in the jars has a very high pigment content and tends to penetrate a bit more than the polish (keep in mind this is still mostly cosmetic, it not like dye). A little goes a long way with this stuff, just work it in well before you allow it to dry and buff off. For reference I mean this stuff:

allenedmonds-shoe-care-shoe-cream-light-brown.jpg

Follow up with polish from the tube. I'm going to assume that the "Speed Polish" is the same as the older labeled polish. BTW the older labeled stuff was made by Collonil. If anyone prefers the old stuff to the new stuff (if in fact the new stuff is different), you can check Collonil's site for an appropriate color match.

Then if desired use wax if thats the look you want. Again not sure what the difference is between the old Carnuba Wax and the new label Carnuba Wax Polish except it costs twice as much.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to go for the wax route on top of my AE polish, would a neutral wax be the best thing or does it make a difference if I am going color-specific? I would like to protection from scratches, weather, etc. as well as somewhat of a moderate shine.

Do you generally wax after every polish? Is there a difference between AE Carnauba (neutral) wax and Lincoln (neutral) wax for these reasons I listed above? (Collonil is a lot pricier and is not included in Prime, so it's a no-go for me at the moment)
I refer you to the following link: #43033 for on my advice on wax. But the upshot is you shouldn't really need wax for weather protection if you follow proper routine care. There are exceptions, but I'm going to assume you don't walk though salty slush everyday to work in your fine calf AE dress shoes.

As for the AE Carnuba (the one in the old-style-labeled tin) and just about every other wax (Kiwi, Lincoln, etc) you can find on a store shelf, the difference I've found is the later have A LOT MORE naphtha. You can tell as soon as you open the tins. They may also all be composed of different waxes in different proportions, but the naphtha you can tell by the smell right away. More naphtha makes the wax softer and therefore easier to apply, but I feel the layers go on thicker too. I prefer thin, barely perceptible layers.

paintball94

Reaction score
Ace, I've got your post saved and found it the most comprehensive that I received a reply to. You mentioned the other day to use a light conditioner every 2-6 weeks, and a heavier conditioner every 4-6 months. How often would you recommend someone to use cream polish? How often would you recommend to use a light coat of wax?

Do you need to polish before waxing, and do you need to polish after every conditioning session?

I've also heard that the AE premium shoe polish that I have does have wax in it, which would make getting a wax product like Lincoln redundant, right?

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've also heard that the AE premium shoe polish that I have does have wax in it, which would make getting a wax product like Lincoln redundant, right?
The waxes in creme polishes are softer and are really there to make the polish less liquid. It will give your shoe a warm glow but not really a high shine. If you ever go to shell shoes, the polish for used for shell has no waxes and is thus pretty liquidy. The wax game is used to bring higher shine to parts of the shoe you want to stand out. Like the toes and heels. As far as colored waxes are concerned, you can play with colors and bring a different look in conjunction with neutral wax. If you are a bit artistic, you will find that you can take two Walnut shoes and make them look quite different. Wax is a bit easier to take off during cleaning if you want to change the look. If you drastically change the look of your shoe with creme polish getting all the pigment off is a bit more work. Working with wax does take a bit more feel though. There are a lot of guys here and on the Vintage thread that can work miracles with polish and wax.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, never take anything anyone ever says as gospel. I don't know EXACTLY what you're doing, or how you're doing it, or what your doing it with. This is one of the reasons I expound trying the least invasive measures first, even if they have little chance of success, before proceeding to more invasive steps. I don't want you to **** your **** up. The stuff I posted is stuff that works for me, but is also pretty much easily gleaned from various sources on StyleForum as accepted practice. If your completely unsure of what to do, I don't think anything I've said will lead you astray, if you are just starting out. In time you'll figure out what works best to your own liking.

BTW, I'm talking about fine calf, not stuff like CXL, Dublin, Shell etc.

Ace, I've got your post saved and found it the most comprehensive that I received a reply to. You mentioned the other day to use a light conditioner every 2-6 weeks, and a heavier conditioner every 4-6 months.
These are broad guidelines. When a time period (x weeks) is used, that assumes regular wear, in a "normal" sized rotation. If you have 50 pairs of shoes, you won't be conditioning all of them every 2-6 weeks. But for someone with say 2-5 pairs of shoes in rotation, 2-6 weeks is a pretty safe bet. Most will do it once a month , some will go once every other month. Also, the worse the conditions your shoes are exposed to (does it rain a lot?, is there a lot of dirt and dust?, do you live in a particularly dry environment?, do your feet sweat a a lot?) the more often you'll have to show them some extra love. If you step out of a limo onto a red carpet as you enter your office, not so much. Realize it's all pretty much common sense and you'll develop your own routine you are happy with.

How often would you recommend someone to use cream polish? How often would you recommend to use a light coat of wax?
I only use the cream (the stuff in the jar I mention above) if the color is looking a bit faded or for scuffs that can't be take care of with polish. It's not a regular kind of thing. As for wax, I personally only use it for when I want a HIGH shine effect. I'm quite satisfied with the shine I get from the polish (the stuff in the tube) 90% of the time.

Wax for "protection" is a two way street. Remember, wax may shield the leather from rain and dirt, but it also prevents it from breathing. This is why keeping your shoes clean (wiping down and brushing after wear) is important. If you do that, you'll find you really don't need to wax other than for aesthetics.

Do you need to polish before waxing, and do you need to polish after every conditioning session?

Thats up to you, and the look you are going for. For calf, I polish after conditioning, but I do not wax (except tips and heels on a few of my shoes).

Just about every product (not called "wax") contains some small amount of wax in them. They are not for the purposes of this discussion what we commonly refer to as "wax". If you are happy with results you get from AE polish (the stuff in the tube) see above.

Bottom line: Don't over think things. Keep your shoes clean. Use shoe trees. Condition and polish as needed. Wax as desired. Less is more.

P.S. I really don't like that expression, I prefer Less is Better, but Less is More gets more attention. Maybe I should go with Less is More Better. Or More Less, More Better. :hide:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waxes in creme polishes are softer and are really there to make the polish less liquid. It will give your shoe a warm glow but not really a high shine. If you ever go to shell shoes, the polish for used for shell has no waxes and is thus pretty liquidy. The wax game is used to bring higher shine to parts of the shoe you want to stand out. Like the toes and heels. As far as colored waxes are concerned, you can play with colors and bring a different look in conjunction with neutral wax. If you are a bit artistic, you will find that you can take two Walnut shoes and make them look quite different. Wax is a bit easier to take off during cleaning if you want to change the look. If you drastically change the look of your shoe with creme polish getting all the pigment off is a bit more work. Working with wax does take a bit more feel though. There are a lot of guys here and on the Vintage thread that can work miracles with polish and wax.
What he said. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads