• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals. Vintage Florsheim LWBs as I await my chocolate MDxAE chukkas.

IMG_3634.jpg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how CircleRock will handle measurements? I've had suits made before but the tailor has always measured me (I use one of those Hong Kong tailors that regularly visits the US), and I'm a little hesitant to DIY measurements. I guess it's not that hard to pick up a tape measure and, you know, measure. Still, MTM stuff is expensive.

CircleRock's prices are VERY competitive. I am honestly excited to give them a try.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Friday fellas! Another gloomy day with dropping temps up here called for boots - Stirlings for me today.
View attachment 1039303 View attachment 1039304

Stirling’s with indigo... you trying to swipe my moniker? Looks great! I don’t know why I don’t have the Stirling yet...

I hope so. But, widths in stores started disappearing on Paul’s watch IIRC.

That said, Paul might be able to get SMU fees made for group MTO’s, especially for simple stuff. Like a dozen brown shell Dundee’s.

Excellent point your eminence!

After this pair, only 1 pair from Rancourt on the way.

Late morning switcheroo for no reason
to khaki fleshout Ranger Mocs.
View attachment 1039354

After wearing + loving the olive bulldog leather Ranger Mocs,
ordered them in bison and these khakis...
they came in together at about 30 days.

Really dig the Ranger’s. AE should do one. 511 or 606 last, suede and CXL, mini lugs. Would be cool!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have this toe edge scuffing issue with their loafers? I seem to get it on every pair of loafers.

View attachment 1039179

Other than applying ample edge dressing, is there anything that can be done to protect the toe edges?
Toe taps my help (based on the wear pattern, looks like you are a fellow toe dragger).

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing the new shell Macs at the office today. They are seconds. Some misalignment of the eyestays on the R shoe. That’s ok, I got a helluva price on them. View attachment 1039183
Everybody make lots of money today, then enjoy the weekend!
Awesome MacNeil’s (which always get liked, no exceptions).

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toe taps my help (based on the wear pattern, looks like you are a fellow toe dragger).
I only get this on my loafers, but that may make sense because in general they fit a bit looser than my lace shoes. I will look into taps. any kind in particular?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okey dokey, in the office, there's no water, so instead of showering I'll regale you all with a tale of woe.

Many moons ago, I had a remington 700 receiver and bolt ready for a custom build. Some things happened, we had to fork over a BOATLOAD of money in an emergency situation, and all the cash I'd saved up went away. Some unbelievably generous folks on another forum I frequent banded together and gathered up a barrel, stock, trigger, bottom metal, and scope mount and sent it all to me. Everything went off to a gunsmith to be assembled into what is my most favorite bolt-action hunting rifle, a 6-1/2 pound 7mm-08. When the gunsmith sent it back, he used fedex. Got my tracking number, and within a few days the rifle was scanned in at the Baltimore hub. A week went by. No delivery. No delivery ATTEMPT. Tracking number still showed it was there. So I drove out at the suggestion of the rather rude woman on the toll free customer service line. I politely informed them my package had been there a week and I would just like to pick it up. They claimed there was no such tracking number in the system. I told them it was a firearm, and if they couldn't produce it I would have to contact Maryland State Police and BATFE in accordance with MD law and report it as having been stolen by someone at their warehouse. THEY CALLED THE COPS ON ME AND SAID I WAS THREATENING THEM WITH A FIREARM. What a fun afternoon that was. Thankfully a nice lawyer friend started making some phone calls--as did I to a Bureau guy I worked with occasionally--and suddenly my box (with a hole ripped in it, not quite large enough for the rifle to slide out on its own and be "lost") was found within a few minutes. So basically the baltimore fedex hub has a MASSIVE theft ring operating within it, and I can't lobby hard enough for people to avoid using it at all costs.

and that's the story of how an employee at fedex almost stole a very special (to me) firearm and nobody at corporate cared.
Wow! That’s crazytown. I wonder if they tried to claim a threat as a way to deflect from the seriousness of losing/stealing a firearm?

I despise FedEx. My worst experience with them was when I had a (really excellent) suit that needed a minor fix, I sent it to a good reweaver and they sent it back via FedEx with signature required. FedEx, being idiots, dumped the box on my front steps and ran. It sat in the rain, during an enormous rainstorm, overnight. Angry doesn’t begin to describe my mood when I saw that waterlogged, disintegrating box on my steps. The good news is that a quick trip through dry cleaning (they actually had to run it through wet and on its own, basically diluting the water with solvents and then allowing it to quick dry evenly and get pressed), kept the suit from being ruined. But still, if it says signature required, why are doing a dump and run?

I now specifically check if someone intends to use FedEx and ask that they use another shipping option.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only get this on my loafers, but that may make sense because in general they fit a bit looser than my lace shoes. I will look into taps. any kind in particular?
Well, I’m a heathen so I just have my cobbler tack on the plastic cheapie ones when I get a pair that I’m putting in my weekly rotation (new or otherwise). On my next resole, I’m going to have BNelson do some swank metal French taps on my 9117 MacNeils (along with a contrast outsole stitch and brass grommets - cause I wanna be like @smfdoc).

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! That’s crazytown. I wonder if they tried to claim a threat as a way to deflect from the seriousness of losing/stealing a firearm?

I can only assume that was their hope. And of course the cops did NOTHING to the people who abused 911 and filed a false report claiming I was threatening them WITH a firearm. I may have threatened legal action and possible criminal investigations as a result of them allowing an employee to STEAL a firearm. I certainly didn't HAVE one on me nor did I ever threaten to use one.

But naturally since there was no political gain to be had by the state of MD, nothing came of it. Not even a farking apology from FedEx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads