• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Awesome - I have a pair as well and love them. Vive la 333!
I decided to go with another old 333 today: University in bourbon.
IMG_20180621_081456.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t think they’re ugly. Why you say mean things about those MacNeil’s?
79DA8680-AA43-414C-92C8-4B175FC6EB0D.jpeg
My SA joked that these made more money for the company than a pair of firsts. But I saw their potential.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High five! Good pair to celebrate with.
Thanks!
Oddly enough, I find that my feet seem a tad larger first thing in the morning vs end of the day. Seems backwards, I know. I have a few pairs of shoes that I’ve bought that are bordering on small for me, and when I was in the “will I keep these?” phase, I would notice that trying them on in the morning they felt a bit tight; however, if I tried them on after work/at night, they felt much better.

I’m the exact same way- I get better leaving closure by midday than first thing in the morning.
Could the morning tight fit be from hot shower effects?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Could the morning tight fit be from hot shower effects?

I’m not sure- even if I wait a couple hours to get dressed after a shower, they seem to fit better.

My feet are weird- they’re bigger in the morning and fit a wide range of lasts in the same size. STOP LOOKING AT ME I CANT HELP IT.

:lol:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the same pair, and I'm strangely excited about them.

I know, right?

For me it’s because I don’t own anything else like them. Had they not been 75 bucks, I’d probably have never bought them. Yet now I’m excited to see what they’re like.

I have a pair of suede captoe bals and wear them frequently (adjusting for size of rotation) and unabashedly. They’re awesome. Good pickup gents - I’m mostly relieved there weren’t any in my size but just a little envious. Medallion Adelaides are my favorite style...

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, sizing/fit question. No AE stores nearby me. I would like to purchase my first proper boots, so it is possible my decision making was affected by this, coupled with a short time frame before traveling back to Vietnam. Lucked into a Higgins Mill at a local department store, but I am worried they are a bit too big (salespeople seemed to not know much about any of the shoes). At the moment they feel good as I walk around the house in them. Little bit more than thumb width at the toe, but the boot LOOKS to bend at the ball of my foot. The heel slips a bit as I stride. I am wearing with a merino wool sock which is somewhat thick, but it is probably not considered a medium or heavy weight “boot” sock. I am going to pick up a heavier weight sock today. I have 30 days to return them.
I tried on a Red Wing Merchant size 12, which fit me well. The Higgins Mill is size 13.
Thanks for any help/advice you can provide. I can post some pics later. Cheers.
What is your intended use for your "proper" boots? The HM is excellent, and will take a good deal of abuse, but will not take the same amount of abuse as the Redwing Merchant. It is not a TRUE work-boot (neither is the Red Wing Merchant, but it does use tougher leather).

The bend at the ball is probably the end toe stiffener (it's rather large on the HM), as the CXL softens up a shallow area will develop behind it. As for fit, pictures would be helpful.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was the only boot in store. From previous day, the salesperson I spoke to did not know it was there. The next day, a different salesperson knew it was there. It had been placed on a random shelf apparently and had been marked down several times on box. Nothing else in Northwest Arkansas as far as I can tell from Internet. FWIW, Size 12 strandmonk felt tight.
Get measured at a shoe store. Sounds like you might be a 12 from how you describe the HM and the mok, but you should get measured. A day trip to a store might be worth it. You could call a store and walk them through your sizing adventure. A good SA can predict your fit in a shoe after talking to you. Ashley/Jason in Charleston do. Otherwise you could take advantage of the free shipping and free returns.

The 12D Strandmok was tight... Assuming width tight, not toe crunchy tight. These are made on the 65 last and run long and tight for people with a high instep. The Strandmoks is usually unlined and will stretch some.

The HM sounds like a 12 would work. Also the insert would help. Lots of variables here.

Good luck.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if we’re the same person, but don’t know it?

If you two end up breaking in to a plastic surgery center to steal liposuction fat to make artisanal soap, I'm just going to assume that Fight Club has crossed over into real life. And then, I'm going to find you and join you. Dibs on the Meat Loaf position!

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you two end up breaking in to a plastic surgery center to steal liposuction fat to make artisanal soap, I'm just going to assume that Fight Club has crossed over into real life. And then, I'm going to find you and join you. Dibs on the Meat Loaf position!
His name is Robert Paulson

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What started off as a pretry crappy morning just took a MAJOR turn for the better.. I just scored a psir of MTO brown shell Higgins from our favorite ebay seller #unicornhunter. WHOOHOOO!

WOW! Congrats, the hunt can be an exciting thing. Hope they fit and work out! Unfortunate that we have seen a number go by this way, wonder what the issues are. PICS please soon!

Also, no reason to tell us how much did you pay? That can only serve to sadden us full pricers. :) Okay, how much!?

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the 1st rule?

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_2482.jpg

Yesterday, these officially became mine. I was going to wear them my first day at my new job on Monday, but it was like 95 with showers predicted, and I didn't want their first voyage into the unknown to be like that. Tuesday was in the 70s, but rainy, so I bided my time. Yesterday was sunny and in the mid-70s and seemed to be perfect shell weather.

These are my first and only shells right now. First impressions are that the material is pretty boss. The JR soles are incredible. I'm getting a few rolls, especially on the right vamp, but my messed-up foot (thanks to an incident with pavement and glass at high speeds) usually causes creases there. That v-gap should decrease a bit as the insoles compress, but it's not objectionable to begin with.

Thanks to @orange fury for keeping my eyes on the prize.

Shoes by AE. Jeans are Levi's 502. Unseen socks are Happy Socks. Shirt was some cheap-o Kohl's special bright orange monstrosity that I bought once upon a time for a charity golf outing. Skid marks on the pavement are from some [presumed] teenagers the night before who decided to use our massive suburban parking lot as their own doughnut factory. Skid marks on my shorts are non-existent as I fear nothing (except rain) when I'm wearing shell.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 993423

Yesterday, these officially became mine. I was going to wear them my first day at my new job on Monday, but it was like 95 with showers predicted, and I didn't want their first voyage into the unknown to be like that. Tuesday was in the 70s, but rainy, so I bided my time. Yesterday was sunny and in the mid-70s and seemed to be perfect shell weather.

These are my first and only shells right now. First impressions are that the material is pretty boss. The JR soles are incredible. I'm getting a few rolls, especially on the right vamp, but my messed-up foot (thanks to an incident with pavement and glass at high speeds) usually causes creases there. That v-gap should decrease a bit as the insoles compress, but it's not objectionable to begin with.

Thanks to @orange fury for keeping my eyes on the prize.

Shoes by AE. Jeans are Levi's 502. Unseen socks are Happy Socks. Shirt was some cheap-o Kohl's special bright orange monstrosity that I bought once upon a time for a charity golf outing. Skid marks on the pavement are from some [presumed] teenagers the night before who decided to use our massive suburban parking lot as their own doughnut factory. Skid marks on my shorts are non-existent as I fear nothing (except rain) when I'm wearing shell.
Look great! And I kinda like the rolls; gives them more visual character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads