1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Braddock", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. darkclassic

darkclassic Senior Member

I paid a little extra so north of 75%.
    For those that may be interested, he's also got a pair of light walnut shell Cambridge in 12D right now. They look almost natural to me but his pics do tend to appear washed out a bit.

2. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

Those look really good, I'd really like to know why they ended up there...

3. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

4. 8675309

8675309 Well-Known Member

Agree. Also, given the illogicality of the posts, I suspect their motivation derives from entertainment.

5. Aenonymous

Aenonymous Senior Member

Found another of the old AE videos, this one looks to be actually from the 1940's - definitely older than the other one, especially as the clarity is not as good and there's no audio. Hence I skipped to roughly the 7 min mark of the video and watched from there, when they initially start lasting. I was curious to see what might have been done differently in the process back then. There are a number of things, such as the way they proactively form the sole to assume the shape of the foot (9:48), and interestingly there was no "hot cork" back then, just genuine Alco Cork slowly spread with a putty knife (9:18). But overall I think the key difference is the word "slowly". It is amazing to me how much time all of the operators took. The best example is sole stitching. I've started the video below where they're stitching the outsole. It takes this guy about 40 seconds (!) to stitch the sole onto one shoe. That's by far the slowest I've ever seen that done. For comparison I've added the modern video as well, and you can see it takes them about 10 seconds currently. I guess that accounts for the difference in stitches per inch? Also, for added entertainment, in the old video, skip to the 15 min mark and you'll see them do that whole twist and contort the shoe thing, but at 16:53 they take it a few steps further and for some reason encourage you to "Jump On Them" and then demonstrate that "They Float", soaking them in water to then "Wring Them Out". Remarkable.

6. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Distinguished Member

McGraw in Truffle Shell Cordovan today
    20180621_120341.jpg
    20180621_120301.jpg

7. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Senior Member

8. LLEE

LLEE Senior Member

Another day in the concrete jungle, so some Ridgeway’s to ease the mind.

AE35FCF3-ADA8-4489-8764-8C711A36D764.jpeg

9. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Beautiful!

10. Maxy

Maxy Senior Member

That last 1 min of 'jump on them' and 'they float' are entertaining to the core!! Jumping part especially is hilarious!! :crackup:

11. WorldwidePEteacher

WorldwidePEteacher Member

Hello all, here are photos of the possibly too large Higgins mills. I hope these photos help with y’all helping me. The finger is where the ball of my foot is.

729B3CAC-B55F-42C5-9F09-C16EAEEE368D.jpeg

5D84235A-7D48-456C-A65D-6CEB0D5B1CFE.jpeg

324DE9D7-6A25-427A-860A-C39AB1234D31.jpeg

12. RaiderATO

RaiderATO Senior Member

The Northland Camp Moc arrived today. I know I said I wouldn't buy them, but @sterlingindigo 's endorsement tipped the scales.

The reviews on the website seem accurate. They have a STRONG smell but it should go away quickly, and the ChromePak leather is wet, moist, waxy, and I can tell it's going to turn my feet green during the first real outing.

The sole seems like it won't be an issue. There's a leather patch sewn on the bottom with the "æ" logo that seems at best unnecessary and at worst it'll hold onto dirt I don't want it to hold on to.

The insole may become an issue if it comes loose like in a few of the reviews.

They look good, and fit good. A bit roomy, but they lock onto my heel in the best of ways. If I need to dial it in after some wear I can tighten the "laces". I'm ready to scuff these up.

IMG_6348.JPG
    IMG_6349.JPG

A pic of the travel sized edging applicator that looks infinitely better than the full-size design.

IMG_6350.JPG
    And the pup trying to find out what the new smell is.

IMG_6351.JPG

13. wasmisterfu

wasmisterfu Distinguished Member

You JUST BROKE the first and second rules.

14. wasmisterfu

wasmisterfu Distinguished Member

I want a pair of those very, very badly.

15. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

They look ok to me. I don't care about how much length I have from toe tip to end of shoe, as the ball is more important. It looks like it's at the widest part of the boot as it should be. You've got plenty of lace gap that would only be more so if you went down. I'd say length is fine. You may be able to go down a width to help with the heel slip, which may go away as the dainite sole breaks in anyway.

An insole could help take up some of the volume, too.