• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Weird, they block my IP so no go for me.
I've seen you mention something like this a few times. Have you tried one of the VPN apps that can help spoof your location?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of earlier post about how I go off topic:
Went to the Astros game tonight. Sellout crowd against Tampa Bay on a Wednesday because they were handing out these bad boys:
260B3C11-93DA-4FF4-9DBA-33D56A71939E.jpeg

They originally did a game earlier in the season with only 10,000 available, and people were camping outside the stadium the night before. The day after the game there were rings going for $1k on eBay, so due to demand, they decided to do a second giveaway for all ticket holders at tonight’s game. Funny how quick you can sell out a Wednesday night game...

Decent enough view for nosebleeds:
41D2622D-2D35-4D4C-9435-D6059D5906A3.jpeg

Half of Houston was waiting in a line wrapped around the stadium (in the rain no less). We’re very motivated by World Series memorabilia:
CD4500E9-6F45-4C7E-A757-B1FA62F25609.jpeg

96B2C934-C7FE-4A91-A5CD-C41085307519.jpeg

Not often you see back to back to back home runs:
77057844-713C-4B88-82C3-CADA90FA4546.png

That’s it. Fun evening, but lost my car for a while, so got to wander around Downtown for a solid hour looking for it

sf335xi

Reaction score
So, I just got my taupe Strands from the warehouse sale and am super excited to open the box...upon opening the box I notice some color issues with the shoes: cap is a lighter color In one shoe and the rest of the shoe does not match the color on the other shoe. Take a look; is it just me or should these first quality be more uniform in the color? Thinking of returning? View attachment 993249

I have had mismatched toe caps and other mismatched panels on the two pairs I received recently. Even after trying to shift the nap in various directions the color was way off and I couldn't tolerate the toe caps so it was an easy return. Still considering the pair that has a mismatched outer rear quarter.

On a suede related topic, big ups to the gent that shared the JA deal about 20 pages back. Does anyone have actual photos of the suede Cornwallis? Perhaps from different angles?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else hate this sole style? Most idiotic idea. If you're gonna use rubber sole, do the whole bottom. The toe area is the first to wear down anyway.

View attachment 993289
I love that sole. It was on the Academy, and it's great. Grip and the look of a full-leather edge.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I have no idea why I needed a pair of brown suede bal shoes, but I just bought a pair (they look nice, they are miUSA GY-welted and leather lined AE's and they're 75 bucks shipped which seems #daltongate level ridiculous). I guess JA just wrote 'em down and wanted them off their books.

Of course, I've finally had to ship a pair to my office because I really don't want to explain this to my wife.

41C0_03_JAC_JOSEPH_ABBOUD_BROWN_SET
I bought the same pair, and I'm strangely excited about them.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was measured at the Southlake store twice, got different sizes. Plus they are a emotionally distant sales staff at the store. Never seem to care, but it might just be me.
I'm not saying they didn't screw it up, but your feet will measure differently depending on time of day, what you've been doing, etc. I've actually forgotten what the recommendation is for the best time, but I think it would be mid-day - after you've been up and moving but before your feet have taken the majority of their daily beating.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you to whoever purchased the last JA Strandmok in 8 D.

You're welcome. :D $75 was too good of an offer for me to pass on. You're a stronger man than I.

Here's another Strand pic for posterity's sake. We've got a bunch of brown shell fans here, but I love burnished brown calf!
Brown Calf.jpg

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, the article actually says that its for old men but fashionable young men can make it work with slim jeans and summer coats!
Bullshit, slim jeans look like **** on everybody.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His non sequiturs, backed by zero grasp of any mentioned subject matter, are my favorite elements of his bizarre conversation pattern. You’ll make a statement about AE and his interjection or conclusion is that they need to prove to Millenials that they aren’t Nazis. Followed up by something about selling ham sandwiches to “Hebrews and Muslims” and how IBM quality had dropped (pretty sure IBM Z series mainframes, and zOS/zVM platform are still gold-standards for reliability). Then it’s on to something about unstable military vets and AE losing all their customers if they don’t do something or other.

It’s either trolling or something’s not wired up correctly.

I am amazed that you managed to summarise his posts in one paragraph, it’s like herding cats.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying they didn't screw it up, but your feet will measure differently depending on time of day, what you've been doing, etc. I've actually forgotten what the recommendation is for the best time, but I think it would be mid-day - after you've been up and moving but before your feet have taken the majority of their daily beating.

Oddly enough, I find that my feet seem a tad larger first thing in the morning vs end of the day. Seems backwards, I know. I have a few pairs of shoes that I’ve bought that are bordering on small for me, and when I was in the “will I keep these?” phase, I would notice that trying them on in the morning they felt a bit tight; however, if I tried them on after work/at night, they felt much better.

Reaction score
*cough*blucher*cough* ;p

What make? I don't recognize the medallion

Cobbler Union. In short, I like them quite a bit - comfortable, nice leather, solid construction, a dainite-style sole (which was desirous for weather reasons - I travel alot),...and, stylistically, this shoe (the Alex II, if I recall) was fairly discreet and not as fashion-forward as many others, which was personally appealing. To my eye, they have held up fairly well over the past two years.

They do not make this particular model anymore, but a link to a similar one is below:

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collections/the-derbys/products/alex-ur

To nitpick a little, I would prefer much more arch support and the shoe to be offered in different widths (my feet are relatively narrow). The latter issue is, to be honest, one of the primary attributes that brought me to AE, particularly for my oxfords--prior shoes from other companies were simply too big and there was excess leather across the vamp that, with time, would give the appearance that my shoes were borrowed from "my big brother." AND, my big brother wears terrible shoes! :) So...here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics