• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all, here are photos of the possibly too large Higgins mills. I hope these photos help with y’all helping me. The finger is where the ball of my foot is.

View attachment 993486

View attachment 993487

View attachment 993488
I don’t think length is the core issue. That feels like a width problem, or more accurately, a volume issue. I don’t wear boots, so I’m not sure how to resolve your issue, but if a shoe were doing that, I’d recommend a lower-vamp, lower-instep last, to eliminate all the excess volume. I’d probably also size down on width.

Just my 2cents (from someone who doesn’t know jack about boots).

ULCajun

Reaction score
Anyone know if the suede Liverpools are permanently on clearance or it’s just temporary? Price still seems high but it’s a necessity. I had to adjust the sizing on my JA order so I’m doubting they will work

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know if the suede Liverpools are permanently on clearance or it’s just temporary? Price still seems high but it’s a necessity.
Likely just a seasonal thing, but you might give an SA a call.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 993423

Yesterday, these officially became mine. I was going to wear them my first day at my new job on Monday, but it was like 95 with showers predicted, and I didn't want their first voyage into the unknown to be like that. Tuesday was in the 70s, but rainy, so I bided my time. Yesterday was sunny and in the mid-70s and seemed to be perfect shell weather.

These are my first and only shells right now. First impressions are that the material is pretty boss. The JR soles are incredible. I'm getting a few rolls, especially on the right vamp, but my messed-up foot (thanks to an incident with pavement and glass at high speeds) usually causes creases there. That v-gap should decrease a bit as the insoles compress, but it's not objectionable to begin with.

Thanks to @orange fury for keeping my eyes on the prize.

Shoes by AE. Jeans are Levi's 502. Unseen socks are Happy Socks. Shirt was some cheap-o Kohl's special bright orange monstrosity that I bought once upon a time for a charity golf outing. Skid marks on the pavement are from some [presumed] teenagers the night before who decided to use our massive suburban parking lot as their own doughnut factory. Skid marks on my shorts are non-existent as I fear nothing (except rain) when I'm wearing shell.

I remember @Neo1 told me that the JR sole was the best sole, and I kind of just ignored his comment because I didn't think there was anything better than the Indy sole. How wrong I was! Congrats to you finding a pair that looks great.

@BFT9000 , There's a new pair of Bartlett's in walnut in 8 D for sale. They do have deep mark/scratch on the bottom upper of the right shoe, but it wouldn't be noticeable to most people. If the Strandmok fits you well, you might fit well into the Bartlett. I'm curious to see how the JA Strandmok's look in real life. The pictures on the JA site did not do my University's justice at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Allen-...:DisAAOSwhbJbKvnY:sc:USPSPriority!91776!US!-1

I am creating a rule that I can only wear one pair of shell per week. This way, my calf shoes do not feel left out. Not quite as badass as @M2511's green Strands, but still pretty nice.

20180621_100030_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Aenonymous

Reaction score
What is your intended use for your "proper" boots? The HM is excellent, and will take a good deal of abuse, but will not take the same amount of abuse as the Redwing Merchant. It is not a TRUE work-boot (neither is the Red Wing Merchant, but it does use tougher leather).

The bend at the ball is probably the end toe stiffener (it's rather large on the HM), as the CXL softens up a shallow area will develop behind it. As for fit, pictures would be helpful.
Just curious what your definition of a TRUE work boot is? One could make the argument that the HM has some properties that put it above the Merchant on the work boot scale.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember @Neo1 told me that the JR sole was the best sole, and I kind of just ignored his comment because I didn't think there was anything better than the Indy sole. How wrong I was! Congrats to you finding a pair that looks great.

@BFT9000 , There's a new pair of Bartlett's in walnut in 8 D for sale. They do have deep mark/scratch on the bottom upper of the right shoe, but it wouldn't be noticeable to most people. If the Strandmok fits you well, you might fit well into the Bartlett. I'm curious to see how the JA Strandmok's look in real life. The pictures on the JA site did not do my University's justice at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Allen-...:DisAAOSwhbJbKvnY:sc:USPSPriority!91776!US!-1

I am creating a rule that I can only wear one pair of shell per week. This way, my calf shoes do not feel left out. Not quite as badass as @M2511's green Strands, but still pretty nice.

View attachment 993494
I dunno...those are pretty great. If I could get more colors in shell, I think I'd be ok just having shell and suede.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am amazed that you managed to summarise his posts in one paragraph, it’s like herding cats.
Agree. Also, given the illogicality of the posts, I suspect their motivation derives from entertainment.
It’s kinda like trying to explain an acid trip.

I’m not sure he was a troll. Trolling tends to be more targeted, with a specific goal of starting trouble and pushing buttons. His posts were too emphatic and too haphazard. I don’t think he was trying, I think he was just being.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just curious what your definition of a TRUE work boot is? One could make the argument that the HM has some properties that put it above the Merchant on the work boot scale.
I think "true" work book is subjective. I work in my HM's and Alden Indy's, plus Iron Rangers. Interesting- I wanted to get fitted for the Iron Rangers a couple of years ago and the local Red Wing store informed me that Iron Rangers are a "fashion" boot, and that they only sold "work boots for people who actually work". I was told this over the phone, so never went into the store as I didn't need that kind of attitude just to get fitted for a pair of boots, fashion or not.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think "true" work book is subjective. I work in my HM's and Alden Indy's, plus Iron Rangers. Interesting- I wanted to get fitted for the Iron Rangers a couple of years ago and the local Red Wing store informed me that Iron Rangers are a "fashion" boot, and that they only sold "work boots for people who actually work". I was told this over the phone, so never went into the store as I didn't need that kind of attitude just to get fitted for a pair of boots, fashion or not.
That's a pretty poor way to run a business. At least say, we don't carry them but we can get them for you if you're interested. My local running store has had to adapt to their typical clientele; overweight walkers wanting high cushioned shoes. So, I was looking to try a different size in my preferred road shoe and was told that it was too much of a true running shoe for them to stock, but they were willing to order me a pair...

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Northland Camp Moc arrived today. I know I said I wouldn't buy them, but @sterlingindigo 's endorsement tipped the scales.

The reviews on the website seem accurate. They have a STRONG smell but it should go away quickly, and the ChromePak leather is wet, moist, waxy, and I can tell it's going to turn my feet green during the first real outing.

The sole seems like it won't be an issue. There's a leather patch sewn on the bottom with the "æ" logo that seems at best unnecessary and at worst it'll hold onto dirt I don't want it to hold on to.

The insole may become an issue if it comes loose like in a few of the reviews.

They look good, and fit good. A bit roomy, but they lock onto my heel in the best of ways. If I need to dial it in after some wear I can tighten the "laces". I'm ready to scuff these up.

View attachment 993481
View attachment 993482

A pic of the travel sized edging applicator that looks infinitely better than the full-size design.

View attachment 993483
And the pup trying to find out what the new smell is.

View attachment 993484
I thought about green, being in Spartan country and all. Went with brown though. Those look good, hope they work out for you. I’ve heard some guys cure them by wearing them wet but I’ve never tried it. I kinda want a green pair now. Wear em in good health!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a pretty poor way to run a business. At least say, we don't carry them but we can get them for you if you're interested. My local running store has had to adapt to their typical clientele; overweight walkers wanting high cushioned shoes. So, I was looking to try a different size in my preferred road shoe and was told that it was too much of a true running shoe for them to stock, but they were willing to order me a pair...
I like that, a running store that doesn't stock REAL running shoes. The Red Wing store wouldn't even order a pair, and in fact told me to "go get them off Amazon or something", so I did.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like that, a running store that doesn't stock REAL running shoes. The Red Wing store wouldn't even order a pair, and in fact told me to "go get them off Amazon or something", so I did.
Wow...I'm a manufacturer's rep, and I've bought products I don't normally carry for my customers off Amazon more than you'd expect...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I got that response at my local Best Buy store when looking for cables for my wife’s new laptop.

“We don’t stock those, but I’m sure you can get them from Amazon. “

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 993494

The green shell Strand thirst is high over here too, but those green PA's are outstanding as always.

I'll take some pics of the Strandmoks once they get here. These are my first pair of Strandmoks, and my first pair of shoes with Dainite soles so I'm pretty excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads