• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

➲ 2012 SEPTEMBER NO PURCHASE CLUB

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BrizzleCizzle, just to clarify, I am not the originator of the club but thank you for the gesture. In fact I can't remember who was. I took it upon myself to ressurect it from mothballs because it had languished.
To your suggestion, a reward would be relative to the individual. One person may save $50 during the month while another will save thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. I feel this is best left to the individual to use their own discretion on what to do with their savings. What I do here, is if I see a pair of shoes that I want, I will put that amount of money in a special savings account I created for my NPC periods. Another method I use to not spend, for example is if I want a new pair of shoes, I will wear only beaters for a week or two and say 'mea culpa' a hundred times while flaggelating myself with a freshly lotioned Allen Edmonds belt (lol..not really) so when I return to my better shoes I will appreciate them more. I am personally a sick puppy. :embar: I have too much of everything and I myself need help. I feel no need to waste hard earned saved money on a momentary pleasure such as a dinner, but that is just my view on it. You may all do as you wish. Just don't spend on clothes or clothing-related items during the challenge period.
Perhaps one nice reward would be to purchase something nice from one of our members on the B&S ?

To all.....we begin at midnight tonight (Sunday) :)

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm sorry guys.. i can't do it.. our spring season has just begin which means all the thrift stores have cleared out their autumn/winter gear and have started to put up their summer/spring clothes.

weak, i know.
frown.gif

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thrilled to watch my savings account pile-up instead of my closet. In solidarity!

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
Last night I put all my pocket squares on my pocket square hanging fixture by color instead of trolling on the bay
Trolling the bay can be a serious temptation. So many times have I casually perused eBay only to end up shopping on the hardcore.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What does your fixture look like? I use something like this:
4TierSkirtHgr10058165_l.jpg

I was looking for a solution and didn't want to buy the one from kent Wang cause of the price but I collapsed. I bought it from them and I am soo happy with it.

Trolling the bay can be a serious temptation. So many times have I casually perused eBay only to end up shopping on the hardcore.

Seriously. And even trolling b&s here can be a problem. Especially recently there's been a **** ton of shoes that look like I need to have.

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
Seriously. And even trolling b&s here can be a problem. Especially recently there's been a **** ton of shoes that look like I need to have.

That's my first stop before the bay. I'll even screw around on Etsy. To paraphrase Chris Brown: "shopping is a habit". And a potentially very costly one at that.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm out. Local shop had a brief sale and I bought a pair of jeans. In my defence this was a long time planned purchase, it's just too bad the iron happened to be hot during the contest. Next month I'll try again. :)

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
I'm out. Local shop had a brief sale and I bought a pair of jeans. In my defence this was a long time planned purchase, it's just too bad the iron happened to be hot during the contest. Next month I'll try again.
smile.gif

Still in, still going strong. Might drop out as soon as suitsupply has a navy db-suit on their website, though...
No reason to drop out and go crazy. Just like Christianity, if you sin doesn't mean you have to give up your faith (please don't make this a religion thread, just a parallel). Instead of dropping out, just pick up the torch and finish September strong. I've got an insider tip on a niche store I like that's going to release a piece I'm almost destined to snag, maybe in September, maybe not, even if I cheat out I'm going to limit it down. It's a lot about the discipline and spirit.
Having said that, if you keep cheating and cheating and cheating, well... yeah, you're kind of forcing yourself out. Stay strong gents, your wallets and bank accounts will appreciate it (not to mention your sense of discipline).

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm out. Local shop had a brief sale and I bought a pair of jeans. In my defence this was a long time planned purchase, it's just too bad the iron happened to be hot during the contest. Next month I'll try again.
smile.gif
How much were the jeans? Remember, you get a $100 emergency fund.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm out. Local shop had a brief sale and I bought a pair of jeans. In my defence this was a long time planned purchase, it's just too bad the iron happened to be hot during the contest. Next month I'll try again. :)

[COLOR=FF00AA]How much were the jeans? Remember, you get a $100 emergency fund.[/COLOR]

The emergency fund is only to be used in a true emergency. In this case Bateman would have no other pair of jeans or any other pants to wear during the month. This was not the case and so therefore our beloved Bateman has fallen on his sword. He did, and rightly so, report the infidelity to the thread. I encourage all who fall, to report their spending (and amount) throughout the month. This will be tabulated at the end of the challenge.

At some point tonight I will do an official list of those who have joined. Keep strong everyone.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOCKDOWN

Alright yo, we launched this puppy succesfully as of Monday September 03, 2012.
You are now BOUND to purchase no clothing or clothing-related items for yourselves for the month.
Here is a list of the brave.....and Active Scorecard

habanos
Calder
Digmenow
BrizzleCizzle
Man Of Lint
Ianiceman
niidawg3
Jakezero
doughie
justinkapur
gsugsu
barbaresco
Vintage Gent
P. Bateman († R.I.P.)
Putonghua73
kulata
Beatlegeuse
timotune
msulinski
ahk11
wumingde
AHS
doughie
Dr.Teatime

Late Joiners

Stevent (Join date Sept 05)

Remember to use this thread to update us on purchase violations.
Also post updates on your clothing maintenance projects. Add photos as you like to inspire others.
Gentlemen, I wish you every success in your challenge. :)
For those of you who are non-member lurkers playing along, I wish you also, good luck and encourage you to join Styleforum today.

:decisions: [COLOR=FF00AA]Infidels, Incorrigibles and the Hall Of Shame[/COLOR] :decisions:

:embar: [COLOR=FF00AA] P. Bateman[/COLOR] (Jeans -undisclosed amount)

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just a fun picture to post of my new pocket square rack (was purchased late late late last month):

IMAG0629.jpg

Tomorrows sartorial related project is to clean my room and convert an old book shelf to a denim wall. :slayer:

And also doing a **** ton of laundry

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads