1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

➲ 2012 SEPTEMBER NO PURCHASE CLUB

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MyOtherLife, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Cambric

Cambric Member

A great theme for avoiding the temptation to buy and to maintain what exists. We often do not wear what we have as it is lost in the wardrobe. More creative maintenance could also mean changing buttons (ordinary to mother of pearl etc), or even stitching the button in a new way. Perhaps women are good at circulating the wardrobe. Thanks for the idea. Lastly, re-engineering clothes to enhance life need not be ruled out.

Thanks.

2. doughie

doughie Well-Known Member

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Did everyone get through the weekend alright? ....I am still 'spend-free' over here. :slayer:

4. Maximus Mark

Maximus Mark Senior member

Just bought a pair of AE Rutledge during lunch.

See ya next month.

5. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I placed 3 Bontoni orders during trunk show but didnt pay a dime.

I did need 2 tshirts from BR because I gained a bit of weight and my shirts did not fit and were attacked by a rodent while being pilled up from not wearing them. I think that does count as an emergency as my undershirts are wife beaters and i cant wear those out in public unless i live in Miami.

NPC'ers let me know if i am still eligible or if I fail.

6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I accept the judge's decision!

Still spend free here and can't think of anything I desperately need I the next two weeks.

Thirteen days to go fellas. Come on now!

7. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I think you might be out for placing the Bontoni order. I believe the rule is that you can pick up/pay for orders already placed, but that you cannot place any new orders.

8. MyOtherLife

Agreed.

9. Jakezero

Jakezero Senior member

Reporting in, I'm still going strong, but I almost lost. I walked into C&J at the Burlington Arcade, intending to take a look at the Skye 2 boot in cordovan. Unfortunately the shipment was delayed from the factory, but I tried on the original Skye and the pleasant manager almost managed to convince me to put down payment for the Skye 2 boot. I stayed strong and gave them my phone number instead of my credit card. They expected delivery in the beginning of October, so I just might get them once this no purchase month is over.

10. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

I'm going strong, although after viewing my Charles Tyrwhitt midnight blue tie in a mirror, I almost wanted to order a midnight blue woven fine rib reppe tie and a green untipped woven wool solid - both from Drakes.

No! I've just noted the beautiful lilac shirts on the Drakes website. Must. Hold. Fast. My credit card has taken a whack this month, from taking out my Chinese language partner to dinner and drinks for weeks and weeks, and then taking out a Taiwanese girl for drinks and dinner the other night.

In truth, I'll be fine until October. Then I'll need to purchase those ties, think about finding a dark olive Sports Coat, and a lilac and a lavender shirt.

11. AHS

AHS Senior member

Good news: September has only 30 days.

(I'm looking forward to October.)

AHS

12. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

damn :-/

now the decision is to try from the sidelines as im out or just start buying stuff??? I want to order a few belts from equus

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  13. habanos

habanos Senior member

We still have a few members from the sign up period that we have not heard from since. I wonder how those guys are doing?

14. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Yup. Got my eye on a shirt, a tie and a belt but I can hold on another nine days!

15. MyOtherLife

Surely September prepares you to continue into the October club? :)

16. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

So when are we allowed to buy stuff again?

17. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I don't possess your level of willpower MoL, but I have all the staples and then some in my wardrobe so I don't NEED anything. I've slowed down my buying a lot in recent months and unless I see ridiculous bargains etc. I'm operating on a fairly strict one out one in policy now.

I'm gonna finish strong this month. You can probably count me out in October but I shall return again!:)

18. MyOtherLife

We've run month-by-month clubs and multi-month clubs and most are more comfortable taking a single month challenge so it is good either way. When ever I feel like spending I wear the oldest crap I can to punish myself until my better stuff looks good to me again.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  19. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

So when was the last time you caved MoL? Do you have the patience of a Trappist monk, or have you had moments of weakness, or do you have a big enough wardrobe that you really don't need anything at all and can resist temptation.

There was an interesting thread on here maybe a couple of years ago along the lines of 'when do you have enough?', i.e. do some people reach their goal while others will continue accumulating till they are in the grave?

20. Vovan

Vovan Active Member

Apparently, I've mistaken the last year Sept no purchase club for this year - LOL
    Anyway,
    [FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif]does paying your tailor for altering previously purchased clothing item count?[/FONT]