➲ 2012 SEPTEMBER NO PURCHASE CLUB

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MyOtherLife, Aug 16, 2012.

1. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

believe me i need it bad. I spent too much money on random ish.

2. barbaresco

barbaresco Member

I'm in! Definitely need some motivation to keep me off.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  3. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

jokes ... lol

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I'm in the same boat. Just ordered a pair of bespoke trousers from Nick Lopez, and the other half will come due when they're finished in September.

5. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

In in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

To those of you who have already pre-ordered items, you may not order or spend further during the month of September.
    Technically, you have commited to purchases or expenditures before the challenge commencement date so hopefully you have already allocated funds for this. Therefore, you are still eligible for September. I feel this is fair enough.

NOTE:
    • any coupons that may expire during the challenge period may NOT be used. Those, you must give away and let someone else enjoy.
    • any credit notes that expire within this period MAY be used, provided you do not exceed the value of the credit note + your $100 emergency fund.
    • same goes for gift certificates or exchanging a birthday gift; do not exceed the $100 emergency fund.
    • You may NOT allow your mate or partner to purchase on your behalf, re-embursing them after the challenge period ends. No cheating!

This is an honourable challenge. It is a test and an agreement with yourself to keep your word. We choose to do this willingly, each for his/her own reasons. By doing this together we will show solidarity in our suffering but hopefully it will build character and inner strength. :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  7. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Then I'm in.

8. MyOtherLife

T-minus 9 days to launch.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  9. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

In, as I intend buying 2 suits from Ede & Ravenscroft this weekend, a pair of grey trousers from Suit Supply, a pair of tan Chinos, and some CT poplin shirts.

I also have a pair of RTW Meermin Linea Maestro shoes winging their way.

My spending since discovering SF from end of May is now near the £2k mark.

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

holy moly to the bolded part, better slow down!

It's been a while since I've been a part of the NPC...not sure if I can make it this time, unless I can buy everything I need before September starts.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  12. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

Update: I bought one suit from Ede & Ravenscroft (dark grey, tropical wool, 10.5oz) and a pair of dark grey flannel 12oz trousers. Total spend since end of May (including alterations and repairs) is £1,825. I'm pretty much done except for sports coat and small pieces from October onwards.

Shoes will be sorted out once the RTW Linea Maestro arrive; and this weekend functional suit wardrobe will be sorted out - especially as my existing charcoal and gray suits (the latter to enter my charity wardrobe this weekend) are both in for repairs. Just realised that I still require a sports coat and a couple of pairs of OCBD shirts! October, then my spending is done until late Spring next year.

I actually cancelled my Japan flight and holiday (flight ticket refunded) because I have been invited to a friend's wedding in China next Spring, and I needed to use the holiday money to fund my purchases. In truth, I had severely under-invested in my wardrobe over the last few years to the point where I had a single pair of non-work trousers, and a single pair of non-work shoes!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  13. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

Might I suggest that for each day, or some regular interval of time, we occupy our minds and hands with another task, related to clothing, to otherwise busy ourselves away from the desire of spending money? Say the first day is some shoe care, the second can be inspecting shirts for buttons that need to be mended (if that can be done yourself), the next throwing out/repurposing old socks, and so on. Just thoughts.

14. MyOtherLife

BrizzleCizzle, thank you for mentioning this and agreed. I just re-checked my originating post for this thread and noticed I had omitted that part.
    Yes this is absolutely the time to observe maintenance of our wardrobes and accessories, in fact I would love to see some 'before and after' photos from people.
    Here is an example I posted in a previous NPC thread where I gave a facelift to a pair of my AE Drydens....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This photo sharing will also hopefully inspire others to get to work.