1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

➲ 2012 SEPTEMBER NO PURCHASE CLUB

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MyOtherLife, Aug 16, 2012.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Just one question before I sign up.

How about if I vow to conduct maintenance on what I already have, can I go ahead and get more items?

This way maybe I'll eventualy have so many items to maintain that I won't have time to purchase so much in the future.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

To the bolded, you want to join the NPC but buy more items at the same time? Seems contradictory to me...

3. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

If you maintain/inspect/clean/repair/iron 1-2 garments a day, with full effort, you'll need 30-60 pieces before all is said and done (i know, easy math). Ideally in the form of pants, jackets, shirts, and shoes. I imagine you have very near this number if not more, no? And don't forget that maintenance can go beyond just the clothes. Have you cleaned out your washer lately? Maintained your dryer? How about the leather in your car? Your breifcase need conditioning? Brass hardware need some buffing? How's your couch looking, has it been conditioned in a while? You still checking your appearance in a mirror with splashes and smudges on it? Your running shoes still smell like a dead animal? That book you've been putting off, how's it end? Just thoughts.

4. AHS

AHS Senior member

Did I miss the policy on tailoring? I dropped a suit off last week and will pick it up (and pay for it) last week of September. And I have another suit I was planning to leave with him in a few weeks....

May I still play? :D

AHS

5. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Hmm, I think you have to go one way or the other - you can pay for items you already dropped off, or you can drop off items you will pay for in October, but you can't be paying for items and dropping off new ones in September. I don't make the rules however.

6. AHS

AHS Senior member

I anxiously await the highest court's decision re my tailoring exemption. The $100 emergency fund -- and some socks I will pick up today -- hangs in the balance.

AHS

7. BrizzleCizzle

Law & Order: Sartorial Victims Unit.

Que L&O segue sound effect.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

AHS, you have quoted msulinski giving you the answer to your question. :) He is correct.

You have this weekend to take any clothes you need dry-cleaned or any items you need tailored or if you need socks, please buy them now or over the weekend.
    We are starting the challenge on Monday so you have today, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to get these projects started.
    During the month of September you do not start any new expenditures. Please read again the first post of this thread about allowing yourself an emergency fund. The whole point of this challenge is to stop spending on clothes or clothing-related items for one month. It is a time to abstain.
    If as msulinski correctly stated, you drop off some dry cleaning or tailoring over the weekend and pick it up during September, you are allowed to do this.
    I hope this clarifies for you.

9. AHS

AHS Senior member

Thanks. Count me in!

AHS

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Oops, guess I better sign off SF and get to work now.

11. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I think morally I am gonna be in, but officially no. I have some things I for sure need to get and wont be able to get them before or after.

I will hold strong as long as I can. I dont remember the last NPC was there daily/weekly updates?

12. MyOtherLife

Justin I encourage you to give this a try. Even if you fall, you have tried. There are no prizes offered but the satisfaction of accomplishing discipline.
    Yes, there will be weekly updates. You can always ring in if you are feeling weak and we will try to talk you down. It never hurts to try.

13. doughie

doughie Well-Known Member

14. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Although the beginning of the month is still a day away, I'm happy to report that I reattached a loose button on one of my dress shirts last night. Shoes are going to be polished this weekend.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  15. MyOtherLife

That's the spirit! Well done Vintage Gent.

16. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I will give it my all :slayer:

I just hope I can keep it under control. I am leaving for a trip in October for a week so hopefully I can delay purchasing anything until that time.

I.am.in.

17. Dr.Teatime

Dr.Teatime Well-Known Member

Im in.

best of luck to all

18. BrizzleCizzle

Props!

19. timotune

timotune Senior member

shoes polished today :)

20. BrizzleCizzle

Another proposition to the group/Man of Lint (as he is the founder): to celebrate the successful completion of SNPC, I propose that each participant identify a reward. It could be simple, like a dinner, or a little more grandiose, like maybe doubling the amount of emergency fund you're left with (that emergency $100, so the max one could attain is $200) and putting that towards a purchase you've identified. I know that can be somewhat counterintuitive, so please feel free to suggest alternates.

The real take away, I believe, from SNPC is that you don't need to make impulse purchases and can budget/plan your spending. Part of budgeting/planning is achieving a goal, and in this case I think a reward could very well be in order.