1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

2018 shoe revival challenge

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by suitforcourt, Jul 14, 2018.

1. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

I have been a member of SF for a number of years now. My one particular interest is vintage shoes. Thanks to @davidVC and @smfdoc for leading the vintage shoe thread.

For the thread's 2nd anniversary, I am proposing a shoe revival challenge. So pull out your brushes, cloths, conditioners, and warm up your buffing arms.

Rules of the challenge:

1. Purchase shoes for $15 USD or less (taxes and shipping excluded). Must have receipt (must be used but does not have to be vintage);
    2. Work must be done by yourself;
    3. This rule has been removed as of July 16, 2018;
    4. Before and after photos must be taken;
    5. Participants may enter more than one pair of shoes, BUT only one pair will be used for the competition. Make it clear which pair you are using for same;
    6. Contest ends August 24 at 12am EST.
    Judging

Anyone can vote! Pick up to 3 choices by September 2, 12am EST.

I will tally votes at that time, and announce voters' top 3 choices.

Updates

Update on July 17, 2018 - SF management is offering a prize to the winner! $100 worth of Saphir products, and chance to write an article for SF journal on the restoration process.

Update on July 19, 2018 - This is not a rule, and merely a suggestion. Once competition is complete, and the masterpiece you produced is not your size, consider the following:

a) Swapping with fellow SF members;
    b) Donating to a good cause where shoes are given to people who need dress shoes/clothes to turn things around:
    https://www.thebalancecareers.com/where-can-i-donate-business-suits-i-dont-need-525594

Good luck, brothers. And please enjoy this experience!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I will, of course, participate in the fun with an entry and by voting. I already found two candidate projects for the challenge on Ebay. I love wingtips, so I searched “wingtip dress.” Then I filtered for pre-owned and sorted by lowest price first to find the ones that would qualify for $15 or less, not including shipping and tax. One was $5.95 and the other accepted my offer of $8. For me, this was easier than driving to 8 thrift stores. Good luck everyone and have fun.

5EA25C07-1899-481A-9546-E4411A3A857F.jpeg FB7CD04D-C9AF-49DA-8550-9E1A56E37E5C.jpeg

3. smfdoc

Okay, here is my official entry to the challenge. A pair of vintage V-cleat Nunn Bush shoes obtained from Ebay for $8, not including shipping. Materials used for the restoration were:

Safir Renomat
    Bick 4
    Water reshaping for the vamp and toe curl
    Venetian shoe cream
    Allen Edmonds chili shoe polish in the tube.
    Allen Edmonds dark brown shoe cream in the jar.
    Allen Edmonds black edge dressing.
    Collonil shoe cream, neutral
    Neutral paste wax.

Photos will start with the receipt, original pictures, renomat and final look.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 8.45.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 3.51.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 3.50.42 PM.png IMG_3766.JPG IMG_3767.JPG IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018

4. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

I like that you kept the patina; I was looking at them wondering about a full strip and dye job.

5. AEShoeMan

AEShoeMan Senior Member

Those look great @smfdoc -- a very respectable first entry, although I would like to see you fit into them (rule 3)! ;)

I have some 11C vintage LWB from a manufacturer I have not previously heard of for $14.95 from the bay. I will have to see if I can squeeze into them or not. When I open them up i am guessing my wife is really going to say WTF! :hide:

6. smfdoc

Thanks! But I would point out that rule #3 says worn by “someone” and I will eventually find them. It’s hard enough to find any shoes in my size, much less a pair under $15 that needs work.

7. FlyingHorker

FlyingHorker Senior Member

8. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior Member

I am... so into this. My apartment is too small for a large shoe collection, but I wonder if I could make a viable hobby out of refurbishing and then donating shoes. The advantage there is that the shoes would not have to fit me, so my selection would be virtually unlimited.

9. smfdoc

Go to vcleat.com and search for water reshaping. There are several articles.

10. Shoonoob

Shoonoob Senior Member

I believe these $14 beauties Screenshot_20180715-112648_Chrome.jpg will be the project shoe. The description is awful and it doesnt match the pictures lol. If these are CG leather, which I am assuming with the seller notes, I will try a complete strip. They should at least fit me to a reasonable level. Screenshot_20180715-112500_Chrome.jpg

11. davidVC

davidVC Senior Member

Finding a pair is tough. A lot of terrible shoes to wade through

12. AEShoeMan

AEShoeMan Senior Member

I was potentially going after a second or different pair - shell cordovan Royal Imperial PTBs that looked pretty rough but good for experimentation. It had no sizing but based on measurements seemed like a possibility. I put in my max bid of $15 near the end -- and someone else appeared to have a max $15 in too and beat me out. Are we bidding each other up on rough shoes in an effort to keep it under $15? :box:

13. Dandy_dapper

Dandy_dapper Senior Member

Whats the name of that leather?

14. smfdoc

OMG, the 2018 Revival Challenge made the front page! Come one, come all.

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 10.45.49 AM.png

15. AEShoeMan

AEShoeMan Senior Member

Whoa -- that is pretty cool. Ebay sellers of rough shoes under $15 needing some TLC rejoice! :rotflmao: