• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resume Formats

emilo

Reaction score
Do you guys in the states ever use a CV when applying for a job?

I'm currently in the process of applying for internship with a PR / Communications agency in the US, and so far I've used my CV, which is two pages, along with a cover letter.

In Europe, or at least in Scandinavia, we really only operate with a CV, not a resume, when applying for job.

Am I actually making a mistake including a 2-page CV instead of a 1-page resume?
tinfoil.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think LinkedIn is that big of a deal. Everyone in my profession has a page but it's more of a status thing than a real networking tool.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
Never, ever go over one page. It's resume building 101.
This is bad advice as it does not take into consideration the field. There are some fields where one page is the maximum. In other fields, resumes are quite a bit longer. Mine is six pages long and I try to keep it as concise as possible. If you are a consultant who has made significant contributions on numerous engagements, there is no ******* way that is going to fit on one page.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emilo
Do you guys in the states ever use a CV when applying for a job?

I'm currently in the process of applying for internship with a PR / Communications agency in the US, and so far I've used my CV, which is two pages, along with a cover letter.

In Europe, or at least in Scandinavia, we really only operate with a CV, not a resume, when applying for job.

Am I actually making a mistake including a 2-page CV instead of a 1-page resume?
tinfoil.gif

It depends on your field. In Education, CV's are standard. Professional development, publications, and sponsorships are equally important to experience.

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
It depends on your field. In Education, CV's are standard. Professional development, publications, and sponsorships are equally important to experience.

Indeed, I would argue that you should include what your prospective employer asks for. A C.V. is more detailed, and hence often extends beyond one page whereas rÃ
00a9.png
sumÃ
00a9.png
s, are as earlier stated, a one page summary.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I spray John Varvatos: Vintage on the back of my resumes and I have a pretty good call back rate.
while I do recognise the humor, I wonder if that would work. I have just finished reading Brain Rules, which was a fascinating read that I highly recommend, and one of the areas it gets into is the impact of the sense of smell in all kinds of areas (recall/sales etc) as long as it is congruous with the topic at hand. Given that I 1. own my own business, so I'm not about to start applying anywhere and 2. typically emailed my CV around anyhow, I am unlikely to be my own guinea pig here, but it could be an interesting thing to play with. edit - I have a potential client presentation on Tuesday, maybe I will, I dunno, wear cologne and ever-so-lightly spray the accompanying document with it. Prompts better recall apparently....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
...oh and as for my resume

Firstly, I'm Australian, we tend to use 'resume' and 'CV' interchangeably.

Format wise - it fits on a page. Font is Tahoma, size 11 IIRC. Oh, and I email it as a PDF if that counts for anything. This is mostly because I don't trust MS Word to display the same on everyone else's machine - people playing with less-common fonts should be super conscious of this, as should people playing with margins etc.

It includes my deets: name/contact stuff/nationality/birthdate/marital status.

Birthdate and marital status are frowned upon in the real world. However for people looking at overseas postings, for expat roles (in Asia at least) they want to know. This is because employers want to know what they are getting themselves into in terms of relocation/salary/package inclusions. If you are moving a young single to Korea, that's one thing. If you are moving a whole family, the applicant is going to expect international schooling, country club memberships etc etc in addition to (much larger) housing. A lot of CVs in this area also include a headshot. Mine used to, but I cut it for space.

I have a few lines as summary next, basically talking about how famous I am.

Career experience - continually condensed as I have gotten older (when you become MD, no one really cares about your activities when you were an Account Executive). At the moment, the bulk of 'position description' stuff is contained under MD, there are a few lines in the earliest roles - typically just big name clients that I have worked on. I have this written out, as the bullets were space chompers that pushed it into a second page.

Education (college only).

Other information - includes boards I sit on/have sat on, I have volunteer/charity things down here as well.

Believe it or not, SF is actually listed here. Yup, modding you fools made my CV. The reason for that is that the nature of my profession requires the ability to demonstrate some knowledge of this whole virtual world social networking kinda thing, and modding a forum of 60k people is a pretty damn good way to demonstrate that.

A couple of reference names at the bottom.

I don't include any hobbies etc there, although my bio has a self deprecating one liner - something like 'and is arguably the world's worst guitarist.'.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I don't think LinkedIn is that big of a deal. Everyone in my profession has a page but it's more of a status thing than a real networking tool.
This is incredibly wrong and dangerously bad advice. In my world, LinkedIn is becoming the predominant networking and job search tool. Our last three hires relied all or mostly on LinkedIn in terms of attracting our internal corporate recruiter. In my opinion, a great LinkedIn profile is far more important than a great resume. Resumes are only seen by people you send them to. LinkedIn is a public, appropriate set of personal billboards of experience.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
This is incredibly wrong and dangerously bad advice. In my world, LinkedIn is becoming the predominant networking and job search tool. Our last three hires relied all or mostly on LinkedIn in terms of attracting our internal corporate recruiter.

In my opinion, a great LinkedIn profile is far more important than a great resume. Resumes are only seen by people you send them to. LinkedIn is a public, appropriate set of personal billboards of experience.

At what level though? I highly doubt that consulting firms browse Linkedin in order to hire analysts. At a senior level though I imagine it's a pretty good tool for finding a hire with the specific skills you're looking for.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
At what level though? I highly doubt that consulting firms browse Linkedin in order to hire analysts. At a senior level though I imagine it's a pretty good tool for finding a hire with the specific skills you're looking for.

My company and many others hires analysts via LinkedIn.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
This is incredibly wrong and dangerously bad advice. In my world, LinkedIn is becoming the predominant networking and job search tool. Our last three hires relied all or mostly on LinkedIn in terms of attracting our internal corporate recruiter. In my opinion, a great LinkedIn profile is far more important than a great resume. Resumes are only seen by people you send them to. LinkedIn is a public, appropriate set of personal billboards of experience.
+1 I get headhunters contacting me via LinkedIn all the time. Prior to taking LinkedIn seriously, I was pretty much invisible to them unless a friend put me in touch with someone randomly. I'm a pretty lousy networker, and for me, having a great LinkedIn profile creates a passive networking presence on my behalf that is always networking for me. It's not a total substitute for active networking. But it's great to have. Think of it like a multivitamin: it helps fill in whatever you're not getting through your food, so to speak.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, a question for the pros here.
How do you reconcile the issue of protecting your privacy while having a widely-visible profile?
I mean, would you print 1000 copies of your resume and hand them out at the mall?
LinkedIn allows you to restrict profile views to connections or friends of connections, but doesn't this restrict a lot of its advantages as well?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads