• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vekla - minimal sneakers done well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

It is with great excitement that I can introduce you all to Vekla, a new brand of minimal sneakers. For those of you that don't know me, my name is Tom and I hail from the Classic Menswear section of this forum, where I run an affiliate thread for my own Goodyear welted shoe brand, Sons of Henrey. With Sons of Henrey, I stress the importance of high quality materials, craftsmanship and transparency. With Vekla, this is no different. When I set out to create a line of sneakers, it was my intention to introduce real craftsmanship and a love for materials in something that could otherwise have been just another ordinary sneaker. A project that took me well over a year led to the creation of a small collection of sneakers, that are now available for pre-order.

Link to access the pre-order:
The sneakers are made in Italy, by one of the top shoe makers in the industry. It is a very small, family run enterprise (the daughter runs the company with her father still working on the factory floor), of not more than 20 people, that produces for a number of important fashion brands. A rare gem that I stumbled upon through word of mouth. On my first visit, they agreed to make a sample, which to me felt as an enormous achievement. No prices were mentioned, and I never questioned the quality of their work. It just felt right. In fact no prices were ever mentioned until we were almost 1 year into the project, and we were making samples with the definitive leather.

The soles are purchased from Margom, located close to the factory. The thick, 100% cotton laces, minimal padding around the ankle, reinforced eyelets on the interior and tongue padding are some details worth noting. All sneakers are made with a leatherboard heel counter, and full steel shank. The steel shank provides support and avoids tired feet at the end of the day. The leatherboard heel counter is something normally only seen in higher-end Goodyear welted shoes, and is more comfortable over time than its thermoplastic alternative. The factory used to specialize in welted footwear, something that is very apparent in many of the construction details. The insole is also fully removable.

The uppers on these sneakers are all made from leathers that come from some of the most reputable and respected tanneries in Italy, but there’s a twist. All of the leathers used for these sneakers are tanned using techniques that require less water, less CO2 and a lower use of heavy chemicals. I believe this is the way to move forward, incorporating sustainability without diminishing the quality nor the beauty of the product.

Finally then, the price. Currently, Vekla sneakers are offered in 6 different colourways, at the price of €185.00 incl. VAT.

For US customers, VAT is subtracted during checkout. The price is set for direct-to-consumer sales only, which means no markup is added for retailers or wholesalers. It is simply the factory that produces for me, and I sell to you. All pre-orders will come with a free shoe cleaning kit that consists of a brush and natural leather cleaner. Delivery date is september 15, which I agree is a long wait. However, pre-order is the only way for me to get this first order of sneakers in production. The minimum order quantity from the factory is relatively high, and on top of that we need to invest in large quantities of leather, Margom soles, shoe bags and boxes.

I appreciate all the support, and am happy to answer any question you might have!

Vekla soft off-white calf on off-white Margom sole, 100% organic cotton off-white laces:

Vekla_Sneaker_Off_White_Calf_Profile_1600.jpg

Vekla_Sneaker_Off_white_Top.jpg

Vekla soft white calf on white Margom sole, 100% cotton laces:

Vekla_Sneaker_White_Calf_Profile_1600.jpg

Vekla_Sneaker_White_Top.jpg

Vekla navy suede on white Margom sole, 100% cotton laces:

Vekla_Sneaker_Navy_Suede_White_Sole_Profile_1600.jpg

Vekla_Sneaker_Navy_White_Top.jpg

Vekla brown suede on brown Margom sole, 100% cotton laces:

Vekla_Sneaker_Brown_Suede_Profile_1600.jpg

Vekla_Sneaker_Chocolate_Top.jpg

Vekla navy suede on navy Margom sole, 100% cotton laces:

Vekla_Sneaker_Navy_Suede_Profile_1600.jpg

Vekla_Sneaker_Navy_Top.jpg

Vekla soft brown shrunken Calf on white Margom sole, 100% cotton laces:

Vekla_Sneaker_Brown_Calf_Profile_1600.jpg

Vekla_Sneaker_Brown_Top.jpg

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shipping costs to USA?

Shipping to the USA costs €20.00. We use DHL Express shipping, with 24h delivery in most major cities. No duties or custom fees need to be paid as the value of the shoes is well below the treshold of 800USD.

The price for one pair of sneakers, shipped to the USA, would come down to €152.89€ (excl. VAT price for one pair) + €20.00 shipping fee, which makes €172.89 or around $191.50 all included.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting closer to our target with 70 pair sold out of 100. If you have questions regarding the sneakers, shoot!

Link to the pre-order: https://www.vekla.store

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 14.18.37.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads