• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resume Formats

yeungjai

Reaction score
I do technical recruiting, so I disagree with the 1 page resume statement (at least in certain contexts). For highly technical staff, there's just too much to put down. The nature of technical roles also lends itself to be easily searchable for key words and phrases. E.g.:

If you're a developer, I don't want to read "I developed web-based applications for XYZ". That's useless to me. I need to know whether you used J2EE, Java, .Net, or what-have-you because you either have it, or you don't and you can't BS it so don't have me waste my time trying to figure it out.

I know many recruiters who would likely disagree with me, but so long as content is relevant and concise, I'd rather see a longer resume than a shorter one. It's much easier for me to read through a thorough (and RELEVANT) account of what you've done than to have a whole bunch of gaps that would force me to find the time to get you on the phone to fill in those gaps. I'm not going to spend that time unless there is NOBODY else to consider. This includes your accomplishments, the hard skills, and environmental context (e.g. a Director-level role in a company of 100 is different from a Director-level role in a company of 10,000).

I also don't mind seeing 'objective' statements, so long as they're purposeful. Reading "I want to work with X company because they're a great place to work" is useless. "I want to obtain a position as a Financial Analyst" also doesn't say anything. Tell me in your objective not the role or the company you want, but the nature of the work you're looking for and what your value-prop is with respect to such work.

So, in brief, show:

Titles, dates of employment, company
Hard skills and niche but important tools used (everybody has Word, PP and Excel on their resume. If you want to put down Excel, show me you know more than how to write a sum function)
Key accomplishments, including leadership, turn-around situations, yada yada yada
Environmental context: e.g. Consulting function of a top 4 specializing in X offerings to Y industries
Description of core duties of the role, and preferably none of that operational crap like:
"Typed in code in a speedy and accurate manner".

Comments?

yeungjai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Ok, a question for the pros here.
How do you reconcile the issue of protecting your privacy while having a widely-visible profile?
I mean, would you print 1000 copies of your resume and hand them out at the mall?
LinkedIn allows you to restrict profile views to connections or friends of connections, but doesn't this restrict a lot of its advantages as well?

If you're going to put yourself on LinkedIn, you're going to put yourself out there. What's the point of hiding?

The thing about LI though, is that unless the person viewing you has paid into one of the premium accounts, they won't find you unless you are in some way part of their network. That means either they're connected to you, they're connected to somebody who's connected to you, or they're connected to somebody who's connected to somebody who's connected to you.

If you have 3 connections on your LI profile, I won't say it's useless but you're definitely going to have more luck if you had 300 connections, even if you didn't personally know a single one of them.

All of this presupposes that you have something to offer that others actually want. For most students and unskilled labour, stick with job boards and other methods.

rshternb

Reaction score
How would projecting confidence work into a resume? Take into consideration this is for an internship but the job description asks for someone very experienced in excel with the concluding line stating the ideal candidate is essentially an expert. I'm an econ major that has taken accounting courses, statistical economics, business courses, and of course the traditional macro and micro. I would say I have moderate experience with the program, but maybe not necessarily an expert. At the same time I am confident that I could easily learn, on my own time, any aspect of excel needed of me (Especially since I have little else to do over the summer)
Would adding a line such as "Would not be applying for this job if I were not 100% confident I could handle or learn to handle any analysis task assigned." or something of that nature, personalized to the specific job help? Would that make me stick out? In a good way? In a bad way?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
This. LinkedIn is not all it's cracked up to be.

Disagree. My last two jobs came from headhunters who found my Linkedin profile.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius
Disagree. My last two jobs came from headhunters who found my Linkedin profile.

Same here. LinkedIn is really valuable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics