• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Leather Artisans Appreciation Thread

Oski

Reaction score
Scott is so quick to make his items!
Had mine ready in the matter of days.
It's already shipped and should be here by the end of the week!
bounce2.gif

Really great guy with incredible talent and craftsmanship.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
Hey where did you get this belt at?
pb060001.jpg

This belt is a custom group order I worked out with Terry Dear of Celtic Leathercrafts a couple of months ago. The leather is a completely custom, one-off run done by J & FJ Baker & Co. A 12 months pure oak-bark tannage (as opposed to the 2 months mixed veg. tan that most other brands use), with special attention paid to emphasis and maximise the natural texture of the grain (unlike most high end Americana style belts which tend to use heavily settled leather [bridle, saddle, etc], giving good weight but very little grain signature). A similar leather is found on Tender Co.'s Type 200 belt and Joe McCoy's now discontinued oak-bark belts...all from the same tannery. I'm not sure whether he has any hide left, but you can contact him from his website (just google Terry Dear). P.S. More info and pictures, as well as more of Unlucky's stuff can be found here: http://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/category/leather/

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
hey mikey, does scott have a list of the types of leather he uses or do i need to e-mail him? and what about buckles, does he normally stock quite a few different styles? i ask you because you seem to have several of his belts and are likely to know before i email him an order. i am looking specifically for a black belt/pewter buckle combo. thanks.

edit: something similar to the black belt you have in the previous page but with a different buckle...?

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
hey mikey, does scott have a list of the types of leather he uses or do i need to e-mail him? and what about buckles, does he normally stock quite a few different styles? i ask you because you seem to have several of his belts and are likely to know before i email him an order. i am looking specifically for a black belt/pewter buckle combo. thanks. edit: something similar to the black belt you have in the previous page but with a different buckle...?
You need to e-mail him as what he has on hand is constantly changing. Scott does offer a variety of buckles to choose from - you will send you a picture of them when you are ordering (I don't have it at the moment unfortunately). On that note, I am thinking about doing another group-order, this time with Scott using American leather. Most likely to happen early next year. Something that will rival and perhaps exceed the US leathers used by the Japanese brands, hopefully with hardware to match - it's most likely going to be a black leather is Scott OKs this project. Anyone who is interested in participating please send me a PM
smile.gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
hey mikey, does scott have a list of the types of leather he uses or do i need to e-mail him? and what about buckles, does he normally stock quite a few different styles? i ask you because you seem to have several of his belts and are likely to know before i email him an order. i am looking specifically for a black belt/pewter buckle combo. thanks. edit: something similar to the black belt you have in the previous page but with a different buckle...?
"I've got cow, goat, kangaroo, or shell (black only) for wallets and cow or horse for belts." From a recent conversation, I think bags are limited to cow bodies due to size of the hide

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
You need to e-mail him as what he has on hand is constantly changing.
Scott does offer a variety of buckles to choose from - you will send you a picture of them when you are ordering (I don't have it at the moment unfortunately).

On that note, I am thinking about doing another group-order, this time with Scott using American leather. Most likely to happen early next year.

Something that will rival and perhaps exceed the US leathers used by the Japanese brands, hopefully with hardware to match - it's most likely going to be a black leather is Scott OKs this project.

Anyone who is interested in participating please send me a PM
smile.gif

right on. yeah, i would love to participate if he will do something.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
"I've got cow, goat, kangaroo, or shell (black only) for wallets and cow or horse for belts."
From a recent conversation, I think bags are limited to cow bodies due to size of the hide

ok, thanks.

mikecch

Reaction score
Hi all!

Scott (unlucky) has given the group order project the go ahead =)

I know most of us will be fairly broke from Christmas shopping, so the group buy will likely happen around Feb next year.

Scott will be getting us some custom-made leather from Wickett and Craig...with the colour/weight/grade, etc made to specifications.

I'm hoping for at least 10 people on the expression of interest list before I start discussing the details with Scott...be quick though, as each hide will likely cut only up to 14-16 belts.

Here is a chance to get yourself a top quality, completely custom-hand-made belt (which would likely retail >$200 if sold by a Japanese brand) for a very reasonable price!

Please do PM me here or on SuFu (with your e-mail address) if you are potentially interested, I will then add you to the list, provide updates as they come, and potentially we can have a discussion on the details of the leather and belt.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get your 10-- but if you need an extra I'm in.

I must admit I'm a newb when it comes to belts, but your enthusiasm entices me.

mikecch

Reaction score
Welcome aboard whatever123, I'll send you a PM shortly.

Taco flavoured kisses, I have 10 already (the response has been quite good) - but feel free to join, the more the merrier!!!

Don't worry if you're not too familiar with belts and leathers, that's what I'm here for - to make sure everybody on the list gets the best belt possible.

Send me a PM if and when you want to join =)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads