The Official Leather Artisans Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KitAkira, Mar 3, 2010.

1. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

lol, i just sent you an e-mail about the details of the hardware used (other then the buckle). maybe you can respond in the forum so we all know for those that are interested. edit: and what is the consensus on the tip? have you gotten that far yet?
    OK then! The only hardware other than the buckle would be the rivets at the fold should Unlucky choose to do so - and this will most likely involve the use of hand-hammered copper rivets. I will let everyone know should I hear differently in the short future. I've only received a few e-mails regarding the tip at this stage, and most seem to prefer the simple variation B options. I think most people don't have any strong preferences (neither do I.) I will report the results in update no. 3, but ultimately Unlucky will have to make the decision (but I'm sure he will take our opinions into account [​IMG] ) But yes, join the club/cult if you want more details and past/future updates!
    FYI we're actually starting a cult here. But it's really fun! Come on inside. :koolaid:
    We have almost 40 members! That's a lot of belts to make...

2. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

okay, thanks mike. i was just wondering if he planned to use chicago screws. is that something he would be open to? if not, its totally cool.

3. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

okay, thanks mike. i was just wondering if he planned to use chicago screws. is that something he would be open to? if not, its totally cool.

Given that the buckle fold will also been sewn together permanently (details yet to be confirmed), Chicago screws will loose their function in buckle interchangeability. Punch through riveting seems like the way to go, at least at this stage.

4. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

We have almost 40 members!
    That's a lot of belts to make...

Mike I've sent you a PM.

5. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

Mike I've sent you a PM.

Replied. 41 on the list thus far!

6. whatever123

Replied. 41 on the list thus far!

thats awesome. is he setting a cap? i might have one more. ill let you know.

7. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

I'm not setting a cap at this moment in time, but I will see whether unlucky would like to set a limit.

I am working on the assumption that around 50 to 75% of the people on the list will make an order, and experience from the last group order tells me that lots of people will try and order one after the group order belts are released into the wild.

8. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Do we have an idea on the approximate cost?

9. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ All is explained in the updates [​IMG] I am confining the details of the process to private e-mails for now...the next update you will see on forum threads will likely be the finished belt or a prototype.

10. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

God damn. This thread is blowing up. Gotta love group buys, PM sent.

11. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

Late night secretarial work for the project: [​IMG] Btw, we have 50 participants now [​IMG]

12. whatever123

that is so unfair to tease us mikey! [​IMG] so how about a early christmas update ... perhaps with the actual buckle pics? come on! [​IMG]

13. agent.5

agent.5 Well-Known Member

Pretty. Any thought on using a single 15oz leather vs stitching 2 pieces of 8oz leather together? If so, you can use a nicer piece of leather on the outside and a lesser quality one on the inside. Also, stitch patterns can be very interesting.

14. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

that is so unfair to tease us mikey! [​IMG]

so how about a early christmas update ... perhaps with the actual buckle pics? come on! [​IMG]

Hehehehe, I will send out an update after Christmas [​IMG]

The prototype was just pressed and finished by Scott yesterday (it's what you see in the pic above), but the edges, pattern of steel, backside pin/keeper finishes aren't finalised yet...

I'll send you guys more details once they're available!

Pretty. Any thought on using a single 15oz leather vs stitching 2 pieces of 8oz leather together? If so, you can use a nicer piece of leather on the outside and a lesser quality one on the inside. Also, stitch patterns can be very interesting.

The leather at this stage looks like it will be a 15 or 17 oz leather (I think this is mentioned in the update) - Scott is sampling a few different types, and I'll let you guys know what the results are when I hear from him.

We're set on a single layer design - it is a more durable construct.

15. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

bump, add me to the list plz <3