• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2009-2010 Season Thread

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
unless i am failing to give D'Antoni's system enough credit (doubt it) or the Knicks are somehow able to pull off a massive star PG signing, this Amare signing is going to be a huge disaster for the Knicks. the guy has been so dependent on Steve Nash that all he is to me at this point is a great finisher. i give him credit for developing a midrange shot, but he has no post game, and isn't a great passer, out of the post or otherwise. he lacks size and effort at rebounding, and we've already mentioned his lack of defense.

i feel this will be a worse contract in the next couple of seasons than the Zach Randolph or Jermaine O'Neal signings. JO at least became a repeat All-Star. Zach at least has a decent post game and is a good rebounder. and this really sucks for NYK fans because they've been waiting for all these bad contracts to expire or be traded, and here comes Donnie Walsh throwing money around like Isaiah Jr.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
couldn't agree with more with the amare deal. seems like too much for him who completely depends on others.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd play up the lack of effort and lack of defense (tho mitigated some this year) more than total dependency.

Does nobody remember that game in the playoffs where he destroyed Gasol every which way? He faced up on a lot of those, and his quickness allows him to use that in place of post game some. He's destroyed defenders as good as Tim Duncan a few years back w/ that.

He obviously doesn't do that every game, but that's what you're paying for w/ Amare: a potential superstar who is still a star more often than not.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Amare in the Laker series showed up once, maybe twice when they were at home. He was also still reliant on Nash for the most part. He didn't destroy Pau, Nash and Amare beat Pau, big difference. Even if the Knick gets Tony Parker, I don't know how that will help Amare since he is not a pass first pg. They need a decent passer, a legit point guard to help Amare. To me, that Amare signing is more of a bargaining tool to bring players in NY than anything. If they are not able to sign anyone of significance, I say just sign TMac again and at least get some revenue from those 2 playing together.

sunror

Reaction score
what do you mean "what"? the statement was reasonably clear, tho perhaps lacking in nouns. you want your team's payroll allocated to stars. not to role players. amare is a good signing. sure he's not perfect, not as good as lebron, wade, or even bosh, not a good defender, but he's still a very good use of that amount of payroll. 100 mil to amare is a heck of a lot better than 46 mil to the combo of hakim warrick and channing frye.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
The Amare in the Laker series showed up once, maybe twice when they were at home. He was also still reliant on Nash for the most part. He didn't destroy Pau, Nash and Amare beat Pau, big difference. Even if the Knick gets Tony Parker, I don't know how that will help Amare since he is not a pass first pg. They need a decent passer, a legit point guard to help Amare. To me, that Amare signing is more of a bargaining tool to bring players in NY than anything. If they are not able to sign anyone of significance, I say just sign TMac again and at least get some revenue from those 2 playing together.

plain.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
Stoudemire absolutely has the ability to destroy Pau one-on-one. Just like he killed Tim Duncan for series way back when. No doubt he is enhanced by Nash, just like any player in the league would be.

I agree with your other points.

sunror

Reaction score
he ranks around the fifteenth best player in the league and the fifteenth best player in the league is going to get a max deal.

yes an additional player better than amare will be needed to acquire a title. that doesn't mean he's not worth it.

looking at the recent champs at good teams, lakers had gasol and kobe maxed with bynum close, i believe the celtics had all three of their guys maxed, magic have two (rashard lewis is a horrid contract), the suns had one (i believe nash is paid less).

you want to be paying your money out to star players.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
there are sometimes anomalies where a lesser person can get someone one on one. like how many posters do you see a white guy dunking on jordan? it does happen but rarely.

also i think pau played him too close , and too far away from the paint. pau just made the mistake of not sagging off him (is that the term?) knowing he won't hit the outside shot

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brothersport
plain.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
Stoudemire absolutely has the ability to destroy Pau one-on-one. Just like he killed Tim Duncan for series way back when. No doubt he is enhanced by Nash, just like any player in the league would be.

I agree with your other points.

lol8[1].gif
Oh come on now. I would agree with you if he did that every game, but dude shows up once in that playoff series and all of a sudden he can destroy Pau? I would put that on Pau more so than on Amares ability. He is a good player, no doubt, but even Perkins can do that to Pau once in a while, hell probably even Big Baby Davis but in no way does it mean they destroy Pau.

Not to mention he averaged 6 rebounds in that whole series.

All those are really not important though, he is a star but for $20 mil/year, that player has to be the focal point of your team, ie: Wade, Lebron, Kobe, etc... and not just a back up or second option, and what's worst is he is a second option for a player they have not signed yet. So if Lebron or Wade doesn't go to NY, then what? He is trying to persuade Melo to move to NY but with the possible lock-out next year and salary cap, Melo would be stupid to not accept Denvers lucrative extension offer. NY will be stuck offering bigger $$$ on even more worthless players again.

But again, if they do sign Lebron, people will celebrate as if it is a great signing but once they lose or not make the finals, then they'll be throwing stones at them. Like this Fisher deal, all these Lakers fans hated Fisher because he sucks and are old and slow but now that the Lakers signed Blake and they are offering Fisher less money, the same people (not here, but all over the net) are complaining how they are lowballing Fisher and that Blake shouldn't make more than him. The bashing on Mitch is starting again. I mean I don't want Fisher to leave and I don't want him low balled but I could understand what the Lakers are doing.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More news...

Duhon left NYK and is going to the Magic, not sure he fits in there as another 3-pt chucker.

Raptors have agreed to sign and trade Bosh, they just need Bosh's go signal. If that happens, then looks like Lebron might just be staying in the Cavs. Sign and trade is also one of the ways Bosh could make the most money (6-year for $125m), although he seem to prefer to play elsewhere, I am sure he'll sign once Lebron says he's staying.

And on a totally money wasting move, Hawks, Celtics and Mavs are interested in Shaq... no clue why.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
And on a totally money wasting move, Hawks, Celtics and Mavs are interested in Shaq... no clue why.
at least he is a big body in the paint that can invoke a little fear into opposing team. no? not much of that in the nba these days.

i can totally see shaq going to mavs. sounds so much like mark cuban.
celtics? nice. would love to gather everyone i dislike into one comprehensive team.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Amare turns 29 when the season starts. I wonder how he'll be when he's 33 and no longer the same peak athletic force he has been. Not to mention he has had severe knee surgery and started playing out of high school so more miles. Then again, he's a year or two older than most people his high scool class as he was held back once or two (or something like that i know he's older)

Also, what are the odds lebron signs somewhere with an earlier opt out clause? Haven't heard a ton about it but i could see that as a possibility since he seems pretty torn and unsure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads