• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Begs the question"

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Could care less" is the bamboo splint under my fingernails...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Is this for real?
laugh.gif
Comedy gold.

Welcome back. Though quantitatively small, I find your posts highly qualitative in nature.
Originally Posted by JMRouse
While you are correct about the phrase "begs the question," it is important to remember that language is fluid and adapts over time. If enough people over time, use that phrase in the same manner, even if incorrect, it becomes part of the English language.
So could "d'brickasho" become part of the SF nomenclature?

Originally Posted by d'brickasho
+1
people got to be stop being tightwads (except for lawyerdad) around here. it is the webz. trust me, i didnt graduate no college or submit work papers using no capitals all the time.

Is this malapropism intentional?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by d'brickasho
had to google 'malapropism' to find out what the heck it means, but not really.

sry if i was sesquipidalian.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
"Begging the question" is the logical fallacy derived from the phrase "to beg the question".

Your point is mute.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 Stars.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Sometimes, though, the clattering of keys makes it obvious to the guy in the next stall what you are doing.

- B

Please stop trying to destroy the magic of this place.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
The colloquial and philosophic/logic use of "begging the question" are different. Simple as that.

What REALLY annoys me, though, is when people use "ironic" instead of "coincidental."

wingcat

Reaction score
good spelling and proper syntax are, to my mind, signs of good manners and civility. also, being an older guy, i always thought Shampoo was one of the movies that defined, among many other movies, modern american culture.

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
begs the question is a slippery slope, but it "does not follow" that ones who missuse it are unedumacated, that would be a hasty generlization. Freakin morans!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wingcat
good spelling and proper syntax are, to my mind, signs of good manners and civility.

rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by leftover_salmon

What REALLY annoys me, though, is when people use "ironic" instead of "coincidental."

I find that ironical.

Pelikan2

Reaction score
Usage matters. My intuition was that the nontraditional use of "begs the question" has come to be so predominant that it has legitimized it. I guess that most people understand the phrase in its nontraditional (and notably, a less idiomatic) sense. As such, I would argue that it's a valid usage. Language evolves; that's what makes it fun.

A quick glance at Mr. Garner's helpful guide confirms: ". . . the use of beg the question to mean raise another question is so ubiquitous that the new sense has been recognized by most dictionaries and sanctioned by descriptive observers of language."

So, I suppose my point is that it's fine to be the grammar/language police, but you've got to pick your battles. In particular, try to pick battles that haven't already been lost.

A final point: don't you think it's somewhat odd to get riled by a considerably less idiomatic (though admittedly metaphorical) usage of a phrase that you think should be used exclusively in its more idiomatic sense? A non-native speaker who's unfamiliar with the phrase would read it to mean "raises or compels the question", which would be an entirely fair reading of the words. How can that be wrong?

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
"Could care less" is the bamboo splint under my fingernails...

Jesus, yes.

Right under the thumb. Ouch.

How people ignore the absolute redundancy of that statement is beyond me.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dave R