• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
I know this isn't the place, but I did not think this question warranted its own thread. Are Franck Muller watches any good? Particularily the Crazy Dreams watch.

It depends on what you consider "good". I'll see if I can cover all the bases.

From a movement design perspective...
The Crazy Hour mechanism is actually rather ingenious as it is a creatively executed retrograde movement. I like it because it is imaginative and looney. The movement finishing on FM watches are generally good and well respected.

From an overall watch design perspective...
I am not sure which case you like more but I believe it comes in a rectangular, square and tonneau shaped cases. Of the three, I like the Long Island rectagular shape the best. Not sure why but I find that it has the most harmony with the FM exploding numerals. Havings said that, I am not a fan of tonneau shaped cases.

From a quality perspective...
FM watches are generally well constructed and draw upon the vertically integrated resources of Franck Muller Watchland, the watch company established by Franck Muller and his business partner, Vartan Sirmakes. However, there are a number of controversies that have plauged this organisation. Whether this makes any difference to your decision is very personal. A simple google search will yield what these issues are.

From a personal perspective...
As I mentioned earlier, of all of Franck Muller watches, I like the Long Island design the best but not in the "dreams" execution of multicoloured numerals. I find this too childish or "Swatch" like for such an expensive piece. I would also caution against the novelty factor of the Crazy Hour mechanism as it is NOT the most intuitive way to tell the time, especially at a glance, in low light or when intoxicated. As a brand, FM has a "bling" factor that I dislike and I can find greater appreciation in a host of other brands that are more pragmatic in their design and brand position.

Hope this helps.

Gaz

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
I opted for the steel caseback, which on the one hand is a shame since Nomos movements are very nicely finished, but on the other hand more appropriate to the type of watch IMO - and avoided more months of waiting.
smile.gif

I agree that the steel case back suits your watch, as does the dark dial.
thumbs-up.gif

For my Orion, they only had a white face model with steel case back, so they had to order the sapphire case back version for me. I also noticed that the watch they showed me had misaligned hour markers on the dial that I'd read about previously, which you can also see quite clearly on the picture that I posted. Hopefully my one will be perfect!

jbmarine

Reaction score
Awaiting arrival on an Omega Seamaster Pro I just ordered. God, I can't wait to have that watch.

I'll also get around to posting pics of my older Concord and mebbe my other watches.

ScottMan

Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as "p0rn"...but...

I just picked this guy up:

P1000898-2.jpg

IWC Portuguese Chrono (3714-17) - It's my first IWC and my first "more dressy" watch. I'm looking for a good brown croc/gator strap for it.

I think this is going to force me to sell this Tag as I can't really justify three 7750s in the house at once. Haha.

P1000839.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very prutty !!
smile.gif

One of the watches on my hunt list is the Port Rattrapante in rose gold with black dial - saw it once in real life at Cellini and it was
inlove.gif
at first sight

ScottMan

Reaction score
^That's a nice one too! Another I've been eyeing is the 3717 in rose gold. I love the contrast of the military style and the gorgeous rose gold tone:
IWC_3717_013_00.jpg
It's a bit out of my price-range though. :-/ I'll have to "settle" for a regular 3717 as my casual watch I suppose. Thanks, 0b5cur1ty!

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Gazman, thank you very much. That did help. I looked into some the the faults of the organization and see what you are talking about. I guess I was initially looking at it as a conversation piece, as I have never seen a watch jump like that. Thank you again!

blackrover

Reaction score
Here is my not so special Oris TT1 Lume shots. Sorry about the quality… But I have a surprise coming something I'm completely excited about!
P1010207a.jpg
P1010206a.jpg

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
Gazman, thank you very much. That did help. I looked into some the the faults of the organization and see what you are talking about. I guess I was initially looking at it as a conversation piece, as I have never seen a watch jump like that. Thank you again!

I can think of many other pieces that would work as a better conversation piece. MB&F comes into mind. If you have the resources to spend on a FM, you can certainly consider the MB&F Horological Machine #2.

All the best.

Gaz

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKDKid
Nomos Orion:
nomosorion1oy5.jpg
Hmm, watch photography seems to be much trickier than shoe photography...
blush.gif

The Orion is NICE, i prefere it to the Stowa but thats me
biggrin.gif
Re pic's: I think It comes down to DOF & angles to highlight details and finishes on dials. -Would be like picking our the grain on a pair of shoes ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads