• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

GiorgioHilfiger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Looking for cedar shoe trees and a shoe stretcher from someone who ships to Canada for something approaching a reasonable rate (I fully understand cedar trees = heavy).

If $16.95 is reasonable, the www.onecedarlane.com has both, and they have a closeout special for "famous designer branded" shoe trees for 9.99 a piece. I ordered those trees some days ago, to Finland, but have not yet received them - so cannot comment on quality yet.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GiorgioHilfiger
If $16.95 is reasonable, the www.onecedarlane.com has both, and they have a closeout special for "famous designer branded" shoe trees for 9.99 a piece. I ordered those trees some days ago, to Finland, but have not yet received them - so cannot comment on quality yet.

Very reasonable, thank you.

Gewehr

Reaction score
Is it possible to avoid my shoes to get "wrinkles" as I use them?
Or once they have them, fix them?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gewehr
Is it possible to avoid my shoes to get "wrinkles" as I use them?
Or once they have them, fix them?

No, but there a couple things you can do to minimize shoes creasing. First, properly fitted shoes will crease quite a bit less than ill-fitting shoes. Second, using shoe trees after each wearing will reduce the degree to which the shoes crease. Third, quality full-grain leather will crease less than cheap, corrected-grain leather.

As an example of the creasing you would expect on a well-maintained but well-worn quality shoe, see these shoes by member bengal-stripe:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=57

Gewehr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
No, but there a couple things you can do to minimize shoes creasing. First, properly fitted shoes will crease quite a bit less than ill-fitting shoes. Second, using shoe trees after each wearing will reduce the degree to which the shoes crease. Third, quality full-grain leather will crease less than cheap, corrected-grain leather.

As an example of the creasing you would expect on a well-maintained but well-worn quality shoe, see these shoes by member bengal-stripe:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=57

Wow that is amazing, the wrinkle is barely noticeable!
So, if I understand correctly, the main factors that avoid wrinlking are:
- Proper fit
- Shoe trees
- Quality leather

Thanks.

Redline9k

Reaction score
If i were searching online for some C&J Belgraves, black...

a)If i run a 10D in AE and most others, would I be a 10D in C&J on this last?

b)where would one find the best prices/availability?

noclue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Black has a caveat that it doesn't go really well with (ie. doesn't complement) several popular colors such as brown and navy (or most other cold or mute dark colors FWIW). So if you want to wear those black shoes with the brown shirt, well, you can do it, it will not be too bad with black pants, just that it's not gonna be a "killer" look or even anything close.

hmmm. I used to weigh 270+lbs and couldn't have cared less how i looked or what i wore which is why, now after a year and 90lbs later, (180lbs right now), i am not sure if what i wear is going to look good. This is why i am here for a bit of help.
Anyway, will this look right?

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

Thanks again guys.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow that is amazing, the wrinkle is barely noticeable!
So, if I understand correctly, the main factors that avoid wrinlking are:
- Proper fit
- Shoe trees
- Quality leather

Thanks.

Fit doesn't play much of a role in minimizing wrinkle, they're for your comfort. Yes on quality of leather + shoe trees. Also another important factor, don't wear shoes for 2 days in a row, the amount of moisture built up inside the shoes (without enough time to go away) also makes wrinkles more permanent over time.

Redline9k

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is part of this subforum, but considering it says accesories, it might be vague enough to include this. Is this shaving set a good deal? http://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Merkur...4471583&sr=8-1
You can do better for as much or less.. Merkur HD (#34c) is a classic and one of the best starter razors in terms of ease of learning without hacking up your face...$35 Get a large/wide mouth espresso porcelain cup at target for $5 get a starter package of blades (maybe west coast shaving, for example) $15 Until you know what your doing, you cant beat a Crabtree and Evyln "Best" Badger brush for $30. If you cant find them anymore, search out an Edwin Jagger model...(actually the ones who made the C&E version) for a few bucks more. If you want a stand, it will cost a little, but you can find them here and there for ~25. Figure out if you like soap or creams...to get you going, try proraso green...also sold by Bath and Body Works under their CO Bigelow brand...green tube $5...best all around cream ever (if your using a brush). Drop by http://badgerandblade.com/ to learn more than you ever wanted to know.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Fit doesn't play much of a role in minimizing wrinkle, they're for your comfort. Yes on quality of leather + shoe trees. Also another important factor, don't wear shoes for 2 days in a row, the amount of moisture built up inside the shoes (without enough time to go away) also makes wrinkles more permanent over time.
Fit does play a role. If the shoe is loose through the vamp or too long or a variety of other things, it will crease more than if it fit properly.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noclue
hmmm. I used to weigh 270+lbs and couldn't have cared less how i looked or what i wore which is why, now after a year and 90lbs later, (180lbs right now), i am not sure if what i wear is going to look good. This is why i am here for a bit of help.
Anyway, will this look right?

Thanks again guys.

There's nothing there that clashes egregiously or anything. Neither is it spectacular, but keep in mind that your question is really vague and it's posted on a forum where $5k suits are routinely discussed. If you really want to bone up on what constitutes flattering and/or stylish clothing, you should pick up the Flusser and/or Antongiovanni books, read them, and come back with more specific questions.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RussoBeri