• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALTERATIONS Tailor in SAN FRANCISCO

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I am confused. Isn't (wasn't) Martinez some how connected w/ Tailor's Keep.
Never used either, because I had Bob five min from my house.
As far as I understand:

Tailor's keep: bespoke etc. Alterations done by Martinez.

Martinez: alterations. Gets sent tons by Tailor's Keep. Will take your other stuff if you visit directly.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back to Ricardo's in Sunnyvale. Anyone use them for anything
complicated like reducing the shoulder padding in a jacket so
the result looks like it was the orignal cut?
If I'm thinking of the right place (they have a big store with racks of jacket and suits), I visited 2-3 times and didn't like the vibes. Too pushy.

(Just looked it up, yah, I think father and son run it. I visited 6+ years ago.)

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
Back to Ricardo's in Sunnyvale. Anyone use them for anything
complicated like reducing the shoulder padding in a jacket so
the result looks like it was the orignal cut?
He's my go to at this point. Not blown away, but seems fairly competent. Admittedly, I feel like I have no idea what I'm going to be charged. He seems to have a decent eye though. At least for fit. A lot of the suits they sell there look tacky AF.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's my go to at this point. Not blown away, but seems fairly competent. Admittedly, I feel like I have no idea what I'm going to be charged. He seems to have a decent eye though. At least for fit. A lot of the suits they sell there look tacky AF.
"A lot of the suits they sell there look tacky AF."
No surprise. Independent clothiers in the area, eg Cassara Bros
in Los Altos, seem to stock that kind of merchandise. Not that i would
choose many of the offerings at Wilkes and Nieman's, or Nordstroms at Stanford either.

Last edited:

lemonpotty

Reaction score
What are people being quoted for Martinez? I was quoted $600 in alterations with $200 being for four functional buttons. Not sure if that is expected

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last time I had alterations done by him, it was through Tailor's Keep, and certainly not cheap. Superb work, however.

$50 per buttonhole does seem high, but everyone has to make a living and skilled handwork should be valued highly. And...SF is an expensive locale.

lemonpotty

Reaction score
The last time I had alterations done by him, it was through Tailor's Keep, and certainly not cheap. Superb work, however.

$50 per buttonhole does seem high, but everyone has to make a living and skilled handwork should be valued highly. And...SF is an expensive locale.
Agreed $600 just seems steep for a $1000 suit

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've been going to Ali at Center Tailor & Alterations in Mountain View. He's done a handful of alterations for me, taking in/out sleeves, legs, and waists. I've been mostly happy with the work. Besides some minor communication issues, the thing that's given me pause is, after he let out the sleeves on one of my jackets, there's a crease visible on the outside (around where the sleeve used to end, I think). He said he had ironed it a bunch and it still wouldn't come out -- I suppose that's understandable, as the jacket is linen, and thus keen on a crease. I later noticed, too, that he had added some stitching that holds the formerly-functional sleeve cuffs closed. I'm not sure whether that was meant to be permanent and can't think of why it should be.
I've been using Ali as well. He has done a good job with my orders most have been lengthening sleeves, taking in the back, and hemming/cuffing trousers. He did one where i asked him to shift the shoulders inwards which was a complicated job and he did that reasonably well.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
For $600 in alterations on a $1000 suit ... if that's new MSRP I would strongly consider a different suit.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $600 in alterations on a $1000 suit ... if that's new MSRP I would strongly consider a different suit.
Agreed. However, the OP did not pose the question if $600 in alterations made sense for a $1K garment.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions for a reasonably priced tailor in SF? I need to find someone in the city to shorten sleeves…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads