1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ExtremeMildness

ExtremeMildness New Member

Thanks for the confirmation on the season! Any idea which section is which? Is it like the outer vs. the lining?

2. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Does anyone know if Yohji hats are sized? I've not seen any size tags on them and from online measurements, they kind of vary. I'd love to find a felt fedora someday (in a large size ;-/)

3. peachfuzzmcgee

peachfuzzmcgee New Member

Bringing this back from the grave to ask regarding the proper fit. Recently I bought a two piece two button suit that is absolutely stellar. I was told the inseam of the pants were 28 which I learned they are not, I was excited for a cropped trousers look but they pool pretty heavy. Would it go against the spirit of this if I cropped or hemmed them and roll them up a bit? Not only that but take the waist down from 35 to 31 that I am? I could bunch up the pants but creates a bit of a weird effect on my frame i feel. Suspenders are an option but limits the versatility I feel.

Also The suit jacket fits great, but the sleeves go to around the first joint in my thumb. Should I shorten it a bit or is that perfect? I see a lot of seam allowances and such on both the trousers and blazer for tailoring so Im always wondering if people here find tailoring it a bit is kinda blasphemous.

4. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

I think even if you dont bunch it bringing trousers down 4 sizes usually messes up alignment of pockets, messes with the seat, and in general is a risky move. Its better with yohji to just let things buch up. often times that is intended. It might just not be the right item for you.

5. peachfuzzmcgee

peachfuzzmcgee New Member

I think I may play around with how I can wear it. I didnt spend too much on it, and I like it a bunch in a weird way so I just need to find a way to make it mine. Its a size 3 and I'm 6'2 and 160 pounds, I just need to drop my notions of how things should fit in a classical suiting sense. I think I look good in it, just gotta be less scared of how I will be perceived in it. This is my only suit, and I decided to go atypical because Yohji's style is so damn cool

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017

6. eloq

eloq Well-Known Member

heya,
    been trying to track down the hakama ss12 belt in black or navy..wondering if any of you have one that you're willing to let go?!

7. NycLondon

NycLondon Senior Member

Wenders says that he shot the documentary using 3 methods: 1. the new Sony video 8 digital camera; 2. Hand cranked film which are limited to 90 seconds (i.e. the opposite of the new digital method); 3. 35 mm film with his crew. I saw the film when it was released at the cinema, the mix of methods was evident, as Wenders intended. Some of the moments Wenders captures in the documentary are quite magical. I mention 2: Yamamoto spending 5 minutes signing a slate outside a new shop; and watching him slowly tear bits off a black dress during a design process to get "just the right tears". Unfortunately deconstruction has been thoughtlessly popularised with all those silly ripped jeans.

The clothes must basic Yamamoto, surely difficult to specify? I am not convinced he wears runway in his real life.

8. wansui

wansui Member

I'd say the middle ground @Inter is looking for would probably be the defunct Y's for Men line. Could never go full hakama-Yohji (yet) and Y's for Men has been my go-to. Less flair but still good fabrics and details. Also less stressful on the bank account.
    [​IMG] Y's campaign shot
    IMAG2606.jpg
    My own bad fit pic

You could also achieve that same loose vibe by sizing up 1 with the Uniqlo U line, albeit with less high-quality fabrics. Also, not very many black options.

9. NycLondon

NycLondon Senior Member

I thank you for bringing this shop to our attention. I visited this past weekend. I was told by the guys in the shop that everything I tried on was "fantastic" and "it was made for me", "fits me perfectly", was "so beautiful". Talk about the HARD sell!! The issue of size was the most annoying - I told them I am a size 3 Yohji (I have several), but no matter what the size was, it was perfect on me. Their prices are eye watering.