1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. accordion

accordion Senior member

Thanks, I wish they were qasas but they're just cheap sandals that are too small from the street vendors here. I'm really curious how the piece is supposed to fit since it's a woman's 2, but fits a standard men's 50. The coat would also be draping at the foot for anyone below 5'10". But then shoulder seams suggest it's fitted? Really confused. The store had it in their men's section, assuming they thought it could or should be worn unisex. I'm dumb for not doing any research beforehand though. The other concern I have besides resale is that the coat fits long and slim which I'm assuming isn't how yohji is mean to be worn right? This is my first YY piece and I just want something classic and standard.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  2. xeraphim

xeraphim Senior member

shoulder seams are not indicative of how a garment should fit, so don't judge by that. "long and slim" coats are fairly commonplace in the women's collection; yohji isn't all about oversized fits, if you feel comfortable wearing the coat then that's all that matters.

p.s. merry christmas everyone!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. StevenE

StevenE Senior member

Plenty of Yohji is slim. TBH if you expect any sort of consistency on that front you'll find yourself frustrated fast - I have 3s slimmer than 1s, and some size 2 trousers I could genuinely fit in twice over.

As another note, I've been in Conduit Street and suggested items from the YYF collection that the SA's thought could work - it's part and parcel of how the label designs, thinks and operates. So if you like the coat there's nothing to worry about. Looks ace.

1 person likes this.
  4. accordion

accordion Senior member

I went back today, talked to the SA who conferred with the owner who offered me the option to exchange. I will head back there for the next two weeks to see new stock but for now I'm only interested in a Y's for men blazer. There's no care-tag on it and the owner/curator doesn't know what year it's from. I was wondering if anyone here might know. Also included some pictures of the store.

The blazer is black, just a bad camera phone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other pieces:

Has an insignia sewn onto the left breast:

[​IMG]

90's Dries:

[​IMG]

YYPH, 04 I think:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pour Femme pieces:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

^ that Y's blazer looks great, if it fits I'd robokopp

2 people like this.
  6. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

@accordion Are you sure there's no care/composition tag on that blazer? Look deep inside the pockets? If you like it and this time it's a mens piece, which season it's from aint gonna be a deal breaker.

7. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

An interesting discussion this, should YY clothes be trans-gender. Personally I think it's easier for women to wear Homme pieces well than vice versa due to our anatomical differences: some Femme pieces are simply too slim and figure hugging for men to pull off. Also you may notice many YY Femme blazers/coats have much shorter sleeves and smaller shoulders. Choose well, men can wear Femme stuff comfortably.

xeraphim and I bumped into each other briefly in Yohji Conduit store last month ( very nice to meet you btw ) and he saw me try on the YY Femme Look 8 silk print Futon Coat. I was simply blown away by the silhouette, volume, the print and the craziness of it all. It's so warm, cozy yet so light weight, a different level to most YY Pour Homme stuff as shah said . It did have a hefty price tag to match its awesomeness. :slayer:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    4 people like this.
  8. sneet

sneet Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if the Ys label always have the "for men" subtext for the mens lines? I found a lightweight wool bomber/cardigan for $5 from the Ys line in a thrift store, has a big slouchy fit with dropped shoulders and too-long sleeves so I'll wear it regardless.

9. kingsolomon

kingsolomon Member

1 person likes this.
  10. ibringdoom98

ibringdoom98 Senior member

Has anyone seen the Look 7 Camo Pants (HF-P19-128-2) stocked in-store or for sale secondhand? The Aoyama flagship is sold out and as far as I know, the other flagships have the other version. I've got the matching jacket and would love nothing more than to have the complete set. I'm kicking myself for not buying jamesd's pair on SZ a while back. I've attached the runway pic for reference.

[​IMG]

11. StevenE

StevenE Senior member

Hello, it doesn't always say For Men, there's a post someone on one of the hundreds of pages that details the different label types, wish I could find to link. For reference, I have a YFM jacket that has a brown label, with a Y's on its own.

12. the shah

the shah Senior member

Early on, the men's just said Y's but with a green tag. Subsequently they were labeled Y's for Men, before reverting back to simply Y's again. Circle of confusion complete. I've seen women's tags that look identical to the men's (plus the women's line is typically meant to be more masculine). Check the tags if they're still attached/legible, labels starting in M are Y's for men, labels starting in Y (and perhaps F?) are for women. The cuts can be quite similar, and I have seen gender confusion on yoox/ebay/y!jp (personally I don't care, I have had women's pieces as well...and thanks to @asobu for the clarifications!)

13. xeraphim

xeraphim Senior member

looking for this aw14 jacket in a size 2 - possibly even a 1 - any leads greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not sure if this is a new Yohji retailer, but I found this Italian shop that carries YYPH last week. I think they had a sz 2 in that jacket. it's sold out now, but you might keep an eye on the site in case someone returns it. They also had the matching trousers which I was thinking about, but didn't think I could pull them off :-D

1 person likes this.
  15. xeraphim

xeraphim Senior member

thanks Parker, I've bought a piece from the store last season so they're not that new I guess [​IMG] hopefully the jacket does get returned, have the matching trousers and want to complete the suit!

16. sneet

sneet Well-Known Member

It's the grey Y's tag you see on a lot of the current season womens. The thing is basically brand new, I'm assuming you mean the tag as in the ME-T35-61 serial on the back of it the tag? If so, it looks like it's mens. Thanks, I was only interested in knowing in case I resell but I love the thing and for $5 never thought I'd find a yohji piece.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  17. KongGeorgeVII

KongGeorgeVII Senior member

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread before, it probably has but it is one of my favourite seasons and deserves to be posted again. The simplicity of the silhouettes, combined with the volume and attitude are all quintessentially what attracts me to Yohji's work. I feel like this season was a beautiful example of his philosophy distilled down to it's core components.

1 person likes this.
  18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I need to buy a (physical) copy of This is my Dream. Can someone give me a hand?

19. Harlock66

Harlock66 Well-Known Member

Looking for YY experts to advise on places to buy in Montreal. I'm definitely going to check out Michel Brisson (do both stores carry the same stock?) and Simons. Is there anywhere else I should know of? What better way for me to celebrate the new year then to actually for the first time get to viddy and try on YY clothes instead of squinting hoping calculating online! There's an enormous amount of boxing day sales so I hope to be able to pick up a couple items...Thanks!

20. the shah

the shah Senior member

no problem, yes looks like you got a men's piece and $5 is indeed an amazing bargain.

how about SSENSE (https://www.ssense.com/men/designers/yohji_yamamoto) in Montreal’s historic Old Port district:
    90 St. Paul West
    Montreal QC Canada
    H2Y 1Y8

In other news, Yohji Yamamoto x Evangellion releasing 1/23/2015 at Ground Y in Shibuya Parco

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    4 people like this.