• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What chopsticks to buy? Asian people help prease.

arced

Reaction score

Yes, in Japan it is bad manners, although some people do it.

I see it a lot more "whities" doing it because they've heard (on internet forums?) that that's what Japanese/azns do. If you break your chopsticks and see a splinter, pick it off. That whole rubbing it together thing looks ridiculous and marks you as some tourist whose read a guidebook.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see it a lot more "whities" doing it because they've heard (on internet forums?) that that's what Japanese/azns do. If you break your chopsticks and see a splinter, pick it off. That whole rubbing it together thing looks ridiculous and marks you as some tourist whose read a guidebook.

Yep

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really had no idea... I mean, I've seen Morimoto and Anita Lo do this... not to mention many other fairly cultured asian people. Again, this would be at pretty folky kind of mom and pop places where they're giving you 2 cent chop sticks.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely see people rub chopsticks together but it's always white people. I would refrain.

I've known many Asian Asians (real Asians, from Asia) who are terrified of not being able to find food they're comfortable with when they travel. A lot of tour groups from Taiwan and China that come to the U.S. attract customers by promising to serve only Chinese food during their tours. So, it doesn't surprise me some Asians would travel with their own chopsticks.
I've noticed that too. Seems like there are quite a few Asians who will eat the local food a few times but must eat rice for most meals.

Back to chopsticks, I made the mistake of buying some fancy ones that were made of different types of wood, looked sort of like inlays. Turned out they were made of fragrant woods -yuck. And they broke apart at the interfaces of the woods. Just get cheap plain bamboo.

Last edited:

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really had no idea... I mean, I've seen Morimoto and Anita Lo do this... not to mention many other fairly cultured asian people. Again, this would be at pretty folky kind of mom and pop places where they're giving you 2 cent chop sticks.

It is rare, but a few Japanese people do it too (although it is considered bad manners). Keep in mind that someone like Morimoto is just playing to the American market, and doing a good job of that, but he's not a particularly good Japanese chef or well cultured as far as Japanese are concerned.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but he's not a particularly good Japanese chef or well cultured as far as Japanese are concerned.

A) That is complete, utter bullshit.
B) Japanese people revere far, far, far less skilled chefs than him so perhaps their opinions should be ignored if what you say is true.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A) That is complete, utter bullshit.
B) Japanese people revere far, far, far less skilled chefs than him so perhaps their opinions should be ignored if what you say is true.

a) You're talking about Morimoto, they guy from Iron Chef TV show, right? If so, it is not bullshit at all.
b) I guess it depends on what type of skill. He knows (and admits) he's not that good skill-wise (I am not saying he is bad either), but very good at presenting Japanese food in a way that is tastes good to Americans. I've heard him say that Americans have dumb palates, so all you have to do is make the food a bit sweet (and I agree :)).

Last edited:

Monaco

Reaction score
Asians don't rub their chopsticks together to grind away wood splints?

Eco-friendliness is not popular in Taiwan?

both are false, SField, please visit Taiwan again and this time, observe.

And which chopsticks did you buy? isn't that the point of this thread?

Last edited:

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

b) I guess it depends on what type of skill. He knows (and admits) he's not that good skill-wise (I am not saying he is bad either),

but very good at presenting Japanese food in a way that is tastes good to Americans. I've heard him say that Americans have dumb palates, so all you have to do is make the food a bit sweet (and I agree :)).

Umm, I'm sorry, but your entire post is total bullshit. And especially about the bolded area, how the **** would you know? Seriously, what do you know about food that most of the western world, and many Japanese people don't?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Umm, I'm sorry, but your entire post is total bullshit. And especially about the bolded area, how the **** would you know? Seriously, what do you know about food that most of the western world, and many Japanese people don't?

I never said he was BAD, just not THAT good. I never said I was an expert or anything like that either. It think it is fair to say that it is a common opinion among Japanese that Morimoto is not THAT good (just an average Japanese chef, skill-wise). His strength lies in re-arranging Japanese food so that is easier to accept by Americans.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
my girlfriend has eaten at Morimoto's in Philly and she can't say enough bad things about him. I'd say she shares the same opinion as Dragon, but probably worse.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my girlfriend has eaten at Morimoto's in Philly and she can't say enough bad things about him. I'd say she shares the same opinion as Dragon, but probably worse.

Ehh... I've not seen too many people with knife skills like him. He has great technique.

aizan

Reaction score
buy a set of wooden unfinished japanese chopsticks and a set of bamboo chinese chopsticks. pretty much all you need.

even though it is bad manners, nobody really cares if you rub your disposable chopsticks together to get rid of splinters. if you did that with perfectly good chopsticks at a nice restaurant, then you'd be in trouble.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

buy a set of wooden unfinished japanese chopsticks and a set of bamboo chinese chopsticks. pretty much all you need.

even though it is bad manners, nobody really cares if you rub your disposable chopsticks together to get rid of splinters. if you did that with perfectly good chopsticks at a nice restaurant, then you'd be in trouble.

No, the restaurant would, because they're giving you cheap chop sticks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads