• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to keep clothes looking new?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Just something I'm interested in - I don't have a problem with clothes ageing and acquiring character, I would just like to know how it's done.

Take cotton trousers for example, as in my pics here. After one wash, they always come out with this kind of puckering around the seams - and the material that makes the waist band becomes crinkled and misshapen. The line.of the pocket opening has also become misshapen and no longer sits straight. I haven't really been able to fix this with an iron because of the positioning of these elements of the trouser.

I buy used clothes quite often and am always surprised by how the seller manages to keep them looking more pristine. Take the images here, for example. The light blue trousers are mine, owned from new and washed once (in accordance with the instructions on the label). The light brown trousers were bought second hand and have clearly not puckered in the same way (I have no idea how many times they have been washed but assume at least once).

Does steaming or some other process (very careful ironing, including on the belt loops?) allow them to be reverted to this more pristine condition? (I don't own a steamer so am unsure). Or is it likely to be a different washing process? Just interested to know what steps need to be taken to keep quality items of clothing looking pristine after a few washes.

1000010886.jpg

1000010884.jpg

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
I used to wonder the same thing, and I think the answer possibly is that a lot of people who keep their clothes in excellent condition use good dry cleaners.

I used to be very anti dry cleaner (I was actually terrified of going there, thought they would ruin all my clothing) but one day I was forced to when one of my toddler aged daughters projectile vomited all over one of my favorite Caruso suits.

I thought for sure the suit was done for and out of desperation took it to the best dry cleaner in my area after doing research.

Well, I was extremely surprised and shocked to receive the suit back the following week not only completely spotless and clean but actually looking brand new. It changed my mindset completely and now all my suits and dress shirts get dry cleaned or at least pressed at the cleaners at least every once in a while.

Just my anecdotal experience but a good dry cleaners can work wonders.

grippybananas

Reaction score
Ever since I converted my wardrobe to mtm pieces, I've been more mindful with laundry to extend their longevity.

For trousers which are all cotton chinos, I wash them infrequently. When they start to smell or get a stain, I put them inside out into a laundry bag, hand wash cycle with coldest water setting and lowest spin cycle.

For shirts, I wash them with every wear as it's humid here with same laundry configuration.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Yeah you have to wash shirts with every wear, I'm sure. Possibly unless you always wear an undershirt and never sweat at all, like Prince Andrew.
I even feel funny about putting my trousers back in my wardrobe after wearing them once to be honest, although a lot of people do. If I've been wearing them all day then I'm sure I'm sweating into the fabric to some degree, even if it's not noticeable, and also shedding hair and skin.i tend to leave them out on a clothes rail at that point, rather than put them back in the wardrobe with my freshly laundered things. Then I try to get a few more wears out of them before washing them. Only problem is I might not want to wear them again for a while and often end up a very full clothes rail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads