• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What chopsticks to buy? Asian people help prease.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what chopsticks would you recommend buying? Do you think disposable are the best or getting good quality ones for home use?

I've always just had a bunch of disposable ones but I'd like to buy a few sets now for at home.

I don't mind paying a price for something very beautiful and durable, but I don't know much about maintenance and care of something more permanent. Also if anyone knows of any particularly beautiful asian style soup spoons, please let me know.

Harbin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol usually people use wooden chopsticks, not the light crappy disposable kind you find in restaurants, but heavier stronger wooden ones that will last a long time. Another alternative are metal ones, which are stronger and still look new after a long time. Up to your preference ultimately, but I typically use wooden ones.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the metal ones I find can be a little slippery with certain types of noodles.

I'm looking for some recommendations for nice wooden ones... I love beautiful table ware so I don't mind paying 15-20 a set. I'd only be getting 8 or 10 anyway.

Grey

Reaction score
I'd like to find a good source of wooden resuables, but they'd have to be something I can wash. I guess the lacquered ones are handwashed easily enough.

I use bamboo disposables right now.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't use the Korean skinny metal ones, even other Asian non-Korean people ***** about them, lol. That's all I have at my place though, they were probably stolen from my dorm cafeteria about 10 years ago. I don't really have any good Asian housewares, actually. Money usually goes into buying expensive French pots and ****.
Never felt too compelled to have next level chopsticks or soup spoons, though you could probably get good ones from the better Japanese ceramic manufacturers. I'd imagine chopsticks and spoons to either be a set on their own, or soup spoons and spoon rest made by an Asian ceramic company and then chopsticks from a different place. I should research this topic, interesting point. That Chinese place in the Westin I told you about serves on decent Japanese-made china and had the matching spoons and stuff, forgot the brand but it's a good one.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not azn, but metal ones are harder to use due to their weight imo. But again, i'm not azn so i'm not as good with them.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Noodle soups are more a Chinese/Northern China+North Korean or SE Asian thing (in different ways of course) than a pure Korean thing, and so Koreans never really needed the fat chopsticks, that is why we use the skinny, heavy metal ones, and in Korean table manners, rice is eaten with the spoon (long metal spoon, not a ceramic soup spoon) unlike other countries that will eat rice with chopsticks. Koreans eat big bone-in braised shanks or whole chickens and stuff and use the chopsticks independently to shred meat.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SField it sounds like you travel a fair bit. Not sure if you ever head to the Orient but I would recommend getting some there, if you can. In Beijing at least there are tons of chopstick stores with more chopsticks than you can uh--shake a stick at. Really gorgeous stuff too.

I have a set that is just beautiful with matching chopstick rests. Can't tell you if it will last forever but they are pretty, durable, and cheap

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If SField ever comes to Tokyo, I hope to take him to Kappabashi-dori for a little bit - Asian housewares and knives galore, it is to knives and Asian cookwares/service what Amsterdam is to recreational weed, for Americans.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We bought several nice sets of very attractive wooden ones years ago. Found them at one of the kitchy stores in the historic downtown section of Flagstaff, AZ! Never underestimate the love of new age/hippy types for all things Oriental and Eastern. They were also selling all kinds of lights carved out of big blocks of that pink/orange salt they're shipping out of Nepal.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've actually been to Flagstaff, Arizona. More than once. I can't say that I want to go back. =\

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread is so FAIL.

Wooden chopsticks? wtf.

They should be made of bamboo, with a square cross-section (not round). Don't get anything fancy. They're not supposed to be expensive. Just go to the local Chinese grocery market and buy a bundle.

Lacquered or metal ones are terrible, as they slip too easily between the fingers.

REALASIANHASSPOKEN

Last edited:

bryanayrb

Reaction score
bamboo and plastic are the easiest to use and most practical in my opinion. blunt plastic chinese style for rice and tapered lacquered wood for noodles is what i personally use. i think we have a few ivory pair for luxury purposes but they are seldom used.

i cannot stand metal chopsticks. in fact, some of the korean restaurants around here offer both (koreans get metal, chinese get plastic lol) cause of the amount of complaints.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

bryanayrb

Reaction score
while we're sort of on the topic.. why the hell do koreans use the long spoon for soups? **** is ridiculous after drinking chinese soup using the deep porcelain spoons

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads