What chopsticks to buy? Asian people help prease.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Yes, in Japan it is bad manners, although some people do it.

2. arced

arced Senior member

I see it a lot more "whities" doing it because they've heard (on internet forums?) that that's what Japanese/azns do. If you break your chopsticks and see a splinter, pick it off. That whole rubbing it together thing looks ridiculous and marks you as some tourist whose read a guidebook.

3. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Yep

4. SField

SField Senior member

I really had no idea... I mean, I've seen Morimoto and Anita Lo do this... not to mention many other fairly cultured asian people. Again, this would be at pretty folky kind of mom and pop places where they're giving you 2 cent chop sticks.

5. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I rarely see people rub chopsticks together but it's always white people. I would refrain.

I've noticed that too. Seems like there are quite a few Asians who will eat the local food a few times but must eat rice for most meals.

Back to chopsticks, I made the mistake of buying some fancy ones that were made of different types of wood, looked sort of like inlays. Turned out they were made of fragrant woods -yuck. And they broke apart at the interfaces of the woods. Just get cheap plain bamboo.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

6. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

It is rare, but a few Japanese people do it too (although it is considered bad manners). Keep in mind that someone like Morimoto is just playing to the American market, and doing a good job of that, but he's not a particularly good Japanese chef or well cultured as far as Japanese are concerned.

7. SField

SField Senior member

A) That is complete, utter bullshit.
    B) Japanese people revere far, far, far less skilled chefs than him so perhaps their opinions should be ignored if what you say is true.

8. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

a) You're talking about Morimoto, they guy from Iron Chef TV show, right? If so, it is not bullshit at all.
    b) I guess it depends on what type of skill. He knows (and admits) he's not that good skill-wise (I am not saying he is bad either), but very good at presenting Japanese food in a way that is tastes good to Americans. I've heard him say that Americans have dumb palates, so all you have to do is make the food a bit sweet (and I agree :)).

9. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

Asians don't rub their chopsticks together to grind away wood splints?

Eco-friendliness is not popular in Taiwan?

both are false, SField, please visit Taiwan again and this time, observe.

And which chopsticks did you buy? isn't that the point of this thread?

10. SField

SField Senior member

Umm, I'm sorry, but your entire post is total bullshit. And especially about the bolded area, how the fuck would you know? Seriously, what do you know about food that most of the western world, and many Japanese people don't?

11. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I never said he was BAD, just not THAT good. I never said I was an expert or anything like that either. It think it is fair to say that it is a common opinion among Japanese that Morimoto is not THAT good (just an average Japanese chef, skill-wise). His strength lies in re-arranging Japanese food so that is easier to accept by Americans.

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

my girlfriend has eaten at Morimoto's in Philly and she can't say enough bad things about him. I'd say she shares the same opinion as Dragon, but probably worse.

13. SField

SField Senior member

Ehh... I've not seen too many people with knife skills like him. He has great technique.

14. aizan

aizan Senior member

buy a set of wooden unfinished japanese chopsticks and a set of bamboo chinese chopsticks. pretty much all you need.

even though it is bad manners, nobody really cares if you rub your disposable chopsticks together to get rid of splinters. if you did that with perfectly good chopsticks at a nice restaurant, then you'd be in trouble.

15. SField

SField Senior member

No, the restaurant would, because they're giving you cheap chop sticks.