• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is Jeff's blog entry where it all started: http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2010/barrel-aged-cocktails/ Reading more to see if it talks of sourcing that Madeira cask.

:tounge:

brent butler said:
jeffrey, can you recommend a source for madeira barrels?
Jeffrey Morgenthaler said:
Brent
I’m not sourcing the madeira casks, I’m merely finishing whiskey casks for about six months with madeira and then using the barrel as a quasi madeira cask.

Some guy wrote that he lived in the Madeira region and got a barrel from a local producer. I'm sure they would send you some. The problem is the shipping.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice find! I guess I'm going to have to get a 1 litre and fill it with cheap wine. :laugh:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^No point using nice ingredients in a mojito if you aren't gonna make it right. I evangelize about this recipe because after having one, I could never make it any other way.

Take half a large lime. Quarter that half. Put in the bottom of the glass. Add a bunch of mint leaves. Add granulated sugar, I use a teaspoon or so. Muddle that all together- the sugar really grinds up the mint quite nicely, and it then gets dissolved in the lime juice quite nicely. The husks of the lime add various oils that add a different, and good, complexity to the drink. Like garnishing with a twist, but better. Add crushed or cracked ice, until the glass is nearly full. Add a shot of rum. White is fine if you have a good one, I prefer the additional depth an aged rum gives. Add seltzer to top it off, you shouldn't need a whole lot. Stir, drink.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, you don't want to "grind up" your mint. Not even muddle it strongly.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Really, you don't want to "grind up" your mint. Not even muddle it strongly.

Why is this?

on other fronts, last night I had my last (2) pina coladas for a long long time. I didn't really want them but decided to use up the mixers before they went stale.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Apparently if you really grind away at your mint you release chlorophyll from the cells in large enough quantity to add a bitter component. You want the mint oil, which is easy to get released, but not the bitter chlorophyll.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, first of all you'll have nasty mint fibers in your drink. But secondly, and most importantly, when you muddle mint too strongly, you release chlorophyll which tastes bitter. You really just want to press it very slightly to release the fragrant essential oils.

Or what Piob said.

Some related videos:

http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/748/morgenthaler_method_mint_julep/

and of course...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not classic, but I usually make mint simple for my Mojitos and juleps.

Really looking forward to the results of your barrel-aged experiment, Piob. I have never had one, though I understand that they are one the menu at the Tango these days. Incidentally, due to the imminent departure of one of my favorite bartenders, I may just hop in the M and pound the pavement from here to there this weekend. It's during the semester, but since we have Labor Day, I should be able to squeak out a night.

- H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads