1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. denning

denning Senior member

First Alabazam ever. Not bad.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

I don't like ice chips in my drink but that's just a preference.

My Death & Co book still hasn't arrived yet. I wonder whether they sent it via homing pigeon. The UK isn't that far away. g-d.

Anyway. Hot Toddy for me.

1 person likes this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I used to love the ice chips in my martinis but I swear since I've started stirring I cannot stand the texture of a shaken martini.

1 person likes this.
  4. denning

denning Senior member

I was just lazy and didn't bother double straining. But you're right, I probably should have, and should make it more of a habit so that I don't even have to think twice.

5. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

I'm a big fan of the pictures and and glassware that get posted in this thread!

As someone who generally drinks whiskey neat, or beer it is great to see these cocktails.

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Went to The Sheppard last night for a first date. Bar had just a few people. Good spot for a first date, but definitely on the pricey side.

7. saint

saint Senior member

Having an After the Storm, an Autumn riff on the Dark and Stormy. Really addictive, debating mixing up another batch.

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Laid some gin down to age a couple weeks ago, pulled it out today. Very smooth, but the full gin profile is still there after the entry. Kind of strange getting a gin flavor on brownish liquor, I must say. Must present an interesting challenging for those selling commercialized barrel-aged gins, really need to change the presentation in the bottle.

Refilled the cask with Negroni. Doing a 2:1 mix of Martini and Rossi and Punt e Mes. I like the combination of the brightness of the Martini and the depth of bitterness on the Punt e Mes. Takes some of the muddiness out of the latter. Looking forward to seeing how it ages.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Have you tried the barrel aged Citadelle gin?

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It's not available around here, so no.

The Corsair aged gin and Cardinal barrel aged gin are available, but I haven't tried either of them yet.

11. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Is there some sort of autumnal bourbon buck I can make with ginger beer AND apple cider AND egg white or am I throwing too many ingredients at the shaker here? Also I only have limes.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

13. saint

saint Senior member

I've got a bottle of Aveze laying around, anybody know of a decent cocktail made with it? Tried one I found online and it tasted like my high school gym locker smelled.

14. tropics

tropics Senior member

White negroni, they made me a good one in attaboy with aveze.

15. saint

saint Senior member

Thanks, been wondering about that, did they use cocchi, Lilet or vermouth?

16. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

The 1977, in particular, was SO damn good. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Senior member

Homemade, using this recipe which produces as good a result as anything I've had from a bar and (alone among homemade orgeat recipes) requires zero painful almond blanching.

I'll have to try this. Can I sub Cocchi Americano for the Lillet?

18. turkoftheplains

Bag the cider and sub Bonded Laird's as the base (if you're dead-set on bourbon, you could use a 50-50 mixed base) and you could probably make some sort of Fizz-like drink.

1 person likes this.
  19. turkoftheplains

I had a great time at the Columbia Room, but I think the experience there (even more than usual for a cocktail bar) is completely bartender-dependent because of the format.

I couldn't agree more on PX-- what a disappointment. The fact that it's nearly impossible to go off-menu was the kiss of death for me. That kind of aggressively-curated menu works for a restaurant, but not a cocktail bar.

I need to try the Gibson.

The Blood and Sand suffers from the same problem that all OJ cocktails do these days-- lack of acid. I have a theory that juice oranges back then were much more like our Seville oranges are now. When I had some seville oranges on hand, I tried making the Monkey Gland-- a drink that in my experience has never lived up to its awesome name--and it finally tasted right.

Since this time, I've been using half lemon juice for the blood and sand, to good effect. Sadly, Seville oranges are tough to come by where I live.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  20. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Anyone tried adding phosphoric acid to the OJ based cocktails?

1 person likes this.