• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are some good brands that would be easy to stock for a new clothing boutique?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
me and some friends have been throwing the idea of opening a clothing boutique and have finally started doing some leg work. its been a dream for all of us and now were trying to make it a reality.

i know its hard to get bigger designers and labels when your a beginner store with no reputation. but what are some brands that fit the styleforum asthetic (clean simple, not gaudy) that would be easy to stock for someone starting out?

of course i would build a dream list of designers and labels to carry but i know thats not reality.

how difficult would it be to carry A.P.C. denim and some clothes, fred perry, penguin, shades of greige, levi 501 (LVC??), B. son, RRL, and premium denim like KMW, iron heart, PBJ?

even cheaper suiting like Z Zegna.

also the type of clothing would be mid level, not outrageously priced, simple, quality, that has originality and something you don't see every day.

keep in mind we're in little rock arkansas and there are pretty much 2 other mens stores. one is ridiculously expensive suiting (brioni, rl purple label, kiton, zegna) and the other is like a douchebag clubwear store.

thanks in advance.

Studio27

Reaction score
I didn't know there was kiton/brioni/RLPL in little rock. Ahh well, I guess Steven's has to spend it somewhere.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Studio27
I didn't know there was kiton/brioni/RLPL in little rock. Ahh well, I guess Steven's has to spend it somewhere.

very true all though Jack Stephens died in 06.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will not get A.P.C. off the bat. A.P.C. accounts are pretty tough to get because the company is very sensitive to their marketing. Likewise, you are also not going to get RRL, LVC, Ironheart, or PBJ.

In order to reach a wider demographic, you might try stocking some better known lines that have decent pricepoints and solid but accessible design like RVCA, Original Penguin, Fred Perry, and along with some basics and some collection from the more expensive Velvetmen, B.Son, and Splendid Mills. For jeans, I recommend only a small selection of dry denim. It is hard to sell except in the major markets. Corpus is a pretty reasonably priced brand with some decent denim and nice designs. Other brands that might make the cut are newcomers Lova and Orthodox.

If you are interested in visiting showrooms and tradeshows, www.modemonline.com will have pretty full schedules and contact info.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Although I hate to say it you should start out with jeans lots of people will buy (7FAM, TR, R&R, Citizens, etc.)

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Although I hate to say it you should start out with jeans lots of people will buy (7FAM, TR, R&R, Citizens, etc.)

this is what we have discussed too. that were gonna have to carry alot of popular brands like this but i also want to have some brands that would be marketable to a smaller crowd who care about dry denim

thanks for all the advice guys. keep the brands coming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads