• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of vintage Tecnic Veldtschoen boots which probably aren’t eligible for this thread as it’s vintage dress shoes. However I enjoy reading this thread from time to time and seeing all the great vintage shoes.

I thought this would be a good place to ask advice on odour neutralisation. The boots are unworn but were stored on a farm for years and have picked up an oily workshop type smell which I’d like to minimise if possible.

Does anyone have any good tips?

I have already been recommended cat litter inside tights stuffed into the boots which I think might work but sounds potentially messy.

Thanks
Can you describe the smell in a bit more detail? Your potential approach partially depends on the type of odor, and I’m not familiar with the one you describe.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
The pair of 93605s I bought from @stook1 arrived earlier today. These are much nicer than the pair of 97626s I bought previously (right hand pair) -- which are too small for me anyway, so I'll be selling them off shortly.

View attachment 1164842

The 93605s have had very little polish applied to them over their life, and the raw uncolored orange fringes are still visible. Overall the leather seems to be in good shape, but I applied a coat of Bick 4 for good measure. After brushing and buffing, this is how they are looking.

View attachment 1164843

I'll let them rest a bit, then hit them with another coat of Bick 4 and see how the leather feels. Definitely going slower this time, since I don't want to turn them into a sticky mess. After that I'll try them on to see how they fit, but going by my other Florsheims and lining them up against the 97626s, I'm pretty confident that these will fit much better.

Fantastic! These look even better than I anticipated after the attention that we discussed yesterday. Well done. Enjoy and wear in good health!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of vintage Tecnic Veldtschoen boots which probably aren’t eligible for this thread as it’s vintage dress shoes. However I enjoy reading this thread from time to time and seeing all the great vintage shoes.

I thought this would be a good place to ask advice on odour neutralisation. The boots are unworn but were stored on a farm for years and have picked up an oily workshop type smell which I’d like to minimise if possible.

Does anyone have any good tips?

I have already been recommended cat litter inside tights stuffed into the boots which I think might work but sounds potentially messy.

Thanks

I have tried the following, and it seemed to remove MOST (not all) of the cigarette smoke smell from a pair of vintage shoes:

1. Alcoholic wet wipes on interior and exterior of shoes. Multiple rounds if necessary;
2. Let the shoes dry thoroughly;
3. A few rounds of conditioning;
4. Take a few pairs of old socks and stuff them with tea leaves. Stuff these into shoes. Tea leaves seem to do a good job pulling out smells;
5. Put the shoes out on a few windy days.

The above process removed most of the smell. If others have a better/different process, I would love to learn something new.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my recrafted mystery shell Florsheim PTBs. Brian Gavigan from Sole Man (Buffalo NY) did an amazing job bringing these back to life.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/buffalo-cobbler-brian-gavigan-sole-man.642804/#post-9724093

The shoes feel like a completely new pair. The crespino sole protectors and heels provide great traction. I think this pair will get called a lot.

A301129D-E88B-4556-8BEE-38BCA493D683.jpeg

B7558DF3-E362-42A0-8838-5AD7D39DDC34.jpeg

FCD1E591-F84C-4DE2-BED9-C08EC61BED3A.jpeg

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my recrafted mystery shell Florsheim PTBs. Brian Gavigan from Sole Man (Buffalo NY) did an amazing job bringing these back to life.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/buffalo-cobbler-brian-gavigan-sole-man.642804/#post-9724093

The shoes feel like a completely new pair. The crespino sole protectors and heels provide great traction. I think this pair will get called a lot.

View attachment 1164897

View attachment 1164898

View attachment 1164901
Hi Suit,
Shoes look great and the repair process looked like a great experience. It looks like you've extended the life of the shoes by many years!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1164897

View attachment 1164898

View attachment 1164901
They look like a new pair! Very nice indeed.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW, some new old stock Allen Edmonds Belmont shark shoes in 12D on Ebay, for those who are interested in brown shark. Not my listing. Link.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you describe the smell in a bit more detail? Your potential approach partially depends on the type of odor, and I’m not familiar with the one you describe.

Difficult to explain, just an oily, fume type smell. Like an old fashioned workshop.

One of my relations was an old farmer and they smell very like his workshop where he kept tools, oil, creosote etc etc did.

These boots having belonged to a farmer have likely been stored in a similar environment.

Its not the worst smell in the world to be honest and nowhere near as bad as smelly feet etc but I'd like to tone it down a bit.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried the following, and it seemed to remove MOST (not all) of the cigarette smoke smell from a pair of vintage shoes:

1. Alcoholic wet wipes on interior and exterior of shoes. Multiple rounds if necessary;
2. Let the shoes dry thoroughly;
3. A few rounds of conditioning;
4. Take a few pairs of old socks and stuff them with tea leaves. Stuff these into shoes. Tea leaves seem to do a good job pulling out smells;
5. Put the shoes out on a few windy days.

The above process removed most of the smell. If others have a better/different process, I would love to learn something new.

Thanks, will give those a try.

I also heard that newspaper can absorb some odour.

Bicarbonate of soda is often suggested but I 'd imagine its hard to get all of it out of the boots after treatment.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, will give those a try.

I also heard that newspaper can absorb some odour.

Bicarbonate of soda is often suggested but I 'd imagine its hard to get all of it out of the boots after treatment.

The tea leaves thing is an old trick my mom always used. Hope it works out!

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, some new old stock Allen Edmonds Belmont shark shoes in 12D on Ebay, for those who are interested in brown shark. Not my listing. Link.
Very nice. I have my black shark Wingtips. Someone else needs to buy these.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Describe tea leaves, please. This is interesting. Do you mean, for example, dry Red Rose in tea bags, or actual full tea leaves one gets with 'better' loose leaf tea. Does it matter if the tea leaves have been steeped already?

Those new kicks looking really sharp!

Difficult to explain, just an oily, fume type smell. Like an old fashioned workshop.

One of my relations was an old farmer and they smell very like his workshop where he kept tools, oil, creosote etc etc did.

These boots having belonged to a farmer have likely been stored in a similar environment.

Its not the worst smell in the world to be honest and nowhere near as bad as smelly feet etc but I'd like to tone it down a bit.

I like the description of this smell! Add some smoky, heavily peated single malt whisky and you'll be all set! ;)

Good luck toning down the smell.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. I have my black shark Wingtips. Someone else needs to buy these.

The problem with this world, and in particular this thread, is the thinking "Someone else will do it."

Don't let the "someone else needs to buy these" mentality destroy you.

Buy them. You're duty bound.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Describe tea leaves, please. This is interesting. Do you mean, for example, dry Red Rose in tea bags, or actual full tea leaves one gets with 'better' loose leaf tea. Does it matter if the tea leaves have been steeped already?

I like the description of this smell! Add some smoky, heavily peated single malt whisky and you'll be all set! ;)

Loose leaf tea leaves. If you want specifics, my parents preferred bo-lei tea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu'er_tea) which is a dark black tea. Goes great with dim sum. When I'm in Ottawa, we'll go thrifting and then have some dim sum. We can discuss the finer points of tea and vintage Canadian shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The new kicks feel really good on my feet. I have an office day, but I use a standing desk. I feel like the king stomping around in these things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads