• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, some new old stock Allen Edmonds Belmont shark shoes in 12D on Ebay, for those who are interested in brown shark. Not my listing. Link.
Just. One size. Too. Small!
153a82aac6c542551a3c2212c84be80a.jpg

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loose leaf tea leaves. If you want specifics, my parents preferred bo-lei tea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu'er_tea) which is a dark black tea. Goes great with dim sum. When I'm in Ottawa, we'll go thrifting and then have some dim sum. We can discuss the finer points of tea and vintage Canadian shoes.

Pu'er...got that covered! One of the many kg of fine tea that I am hoarding. Come up for a cup and a thrift! :)

IMG_6042.JPG

So, you just put this loose in the boot? How much, a few tablespoons?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Difficult to explain, just an oily, fume type smell. Like an old fashioned workshop.

One of my relations was an old farmer and they smell very like his workshop where he kept tools, oil, creosote etc etc did.

These boots having belonged to a farmer have likely been stored in a similar environment.

Its not the worst smell in the world to be honest and nowhere near as bad as smelly feet etc but I'd like to tone it down a bit.
In that case, I think the bicarbonate idea is not a bad one, though I also like suitforcourt’s tea leaves method. If you go the bicarbonate route, do it exactly the same way suitforcourt recommends: tightly knit socks, not directly in the interior of the shoe or you’ll never get it out (you don’t want that stuff directly on the interior leather surfaces). Basically, with either option, do it the way suitforcourt describes - be sure to recondition the interior leather surfaces before wearing as the isopropyl will strip out the oil from the leather.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pu'er...got that covered! One of the many kg of fine tea that I am hoarding. Come up for a cup and a thrift! :)

View attachment 1164975

So, you just put this loose in the boot? How much, a few tablespoons?

That's a nice brick of tea!

I put them in old socks, and tie off the end. And then stuff them into the shoe. So lots of tea leaves are used.

Please use at your own caution. I don't want someone using this method and then complaining their feet and shoes smell like tea!

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a nice brick of tea!

I put them in old socks, and tie off the end. And then stuff them into the shoe. So lots of tea leaves are used.

Please use at your own caution. I don't want someone using this method and then complaining their feet and shoes smell like tea!

You might also want to include the caveat that the tea leaves should be thrown out after the treatment, and not used to brew stinky tea.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might also want to include the caveat that the tea leaves should be thrown out after the treatment, and not used to brew stinky tea.

LOL!

As a lawyer, one would think that's the first thing that crosses my mind... CMA (cover ******).

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a jump on wingtip Wednesday with these vintage Florsheim 93605. This is the pair that I posted months ago. They were resoled by my local cobbler with single leather soles. Now that I know more, I wish I had sent them in for double oak soles, as the uppers are quite nice. Live and learn.

7A7A8151-1F63-40C5-A121-2B0AF1648CB0.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a jump on wingtip Wednesday with these vintage Florsheim 93605. This is the pair that I posted months ago. They were resoled by my local cobbler with single leather soles. Now that I know more, I wish I had sent them in for double oak soles, as the uppers are quite nice. Live and learn.

View attachment 1165046

One of the greatest shoes ever made!

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I usually say "if it didn't sell, then up the price."

I've been watching these LB Sheppard PTBs. Concerned about the water stains on the toe and the side. I already have one pair of shell PTBs (AE Leeds) with significant leather issues that I'm still trying to correct. I don't need another project shoe.

Anyone with any experience removing this kind of staining without having to completely refinish the shoe? Saw a couple posts that recommend wiping with a wet cloth and then buffing heavily. That doesn't seem sufficient. Would wonder if a full glycerin treatment might even out the patina and overcome the existing stains.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 12.19.11 PM.png

s-l1600 (25).jpg
s-l1600 (24).jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been watching these LB Sheppard PTBs. Concerned about the water stains on the toe and the side. I already have one pair of shell PTBs (AE Leeds) with significant leather issues that I'm still trying to correct. I don't need another project shoe.

Anyone with any experience removing this kind of staining without having to completely refinish the shoe? Saw a couple posts that recommend wiping with a wet cloth and then buffing heavily. That doesn't seem sufficient. Would wonder if a full glycerin treatment might even out the patina and overcome the existing stains.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1165071
View attachment 1165073 View attachment 1165074

I'm no expert on restoring shell. But that price (125 or 150) is way too high given the condition. I would try using renomat first.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert on restoring shell. But that price (125 or 150) is way too high given the condition. I would try using renomat first.

I have found that Renomat is good for pulling stuff off the surface with a minimum of effort, but to have any effect on an embedded stain like this, I would think it would destroy the overall finish.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing spring day in NorCal. Time for the Golden Harvests that @Thomas Crown sent. I put the colored laces in them in case no one would otherwise notice I’m wearing mustard color shoes. View attachment 1164525
Of all the walnut/light brown/and now,mustard colored shoes I’ve seen with blue jeans,this may be the first I’ve noticed with blue laces-looks great that way!

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

View attachment 1165071
View attachment 1165073 View attachment 1165074
I messed up my 93605s with a glycerin treatment. The glycerin/water solution didn’t absorb evenly. I ended up with stains that looked just like that. I soaked the shoes, on @davidVC ‘s suggestion, and the stains came out. I have to say that putting the shoes in a bucket of water was unnerving, to say the least. But it worked!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found that Renomat is good for pulling stuff off the surface with a minimum of effort, but to have any effect on an embedded stain like this, I would think it would destroy the overall finish.

I defer to your knowledge. I have only used Renomat to remove surface stuff and it's effective.

@CWOyaji might have some cards up his sleeve.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads