• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was gonna buy an el cheapo bolt j clissold bolt off ebay but holland and sherry does one for their womenswear range and b and j have some nice double crepes. I always found the fabric intriguing and have always wanted one made. Might even get a fun dj...

Check out the Loro Piana Women's Collection as there are some really amazing fabrics in there. I got the swatches to make a couple of Chanel inspired suits and really toyed with making something for me. Never got around to it, but the cloth is really pretty.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you make another one of these, I would lower the buttons an inch or so, would be a more flattering shape on you. Also, and this is just preference, I would have them wash the linen before they make it as it removes some of the sheen and starchiness that you get sometimes. Will soften up the cloth as well. This happens naturally over time as you wear it, but I always like to give it a little head start.
Yeah I had them model the jacket of the inglese sahariana jacket and forgot to tell them to lower the buttoning point.

I'll keep the washing in mind for future commissions.
GIngleseSS20safarijackets_8_300x300.jpg

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the Loro Piana Women's Collection as there are some really amazing fabrics in there. I got the swatches to make a couple of Chanel inspired suits and really toyed with making something for me. Never got around to it, but the cloth is really pretty.
Unfortunately most contemporary fabric mills dont have that 80s inspired fabrics which I want which has forced me to go vintage. You see alot of this influences in 80s hong Kong and japanese films where they utilise such fsbrics. I'll try the loro piana. I think my tailor can get it but itd probably burn a hole in my wallet!

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an underrated and versatile jacket configuration. It can work as a cream sports jacket, tropical climate dinner jacket, and a cream suit with the matching trousers. Excellent choice. I remember @dieworkwear was flirting with this idea or a similar configuration a few months back.
Agreed. I have made several cream jackets but this is the first db. Might try a 4x1 in cream boucle next. I'll have ot debut as a dj this weekend

Last edited:

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I have made several cream jackets but this is the first db. Might try a 4x1 in cream boucle next. I'll have ot debut as a dj this weekend

slow your roll!!! You may need to partake in “bespoke addiction therapy.” You definitely have a serious problem !!!????? …and adding more dinner jacket commissions does not constitute as “therapy.”

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slow your roll!!! You may need to partake in “bespoke addiction therapy.” You definitely have a serious problem !!!????? …and adding more dinner jacket commissions does not constitute as “therapy.”
No one tells me what to do!!! ??

But seriously it's a problem eh. You get one made then you notice the small things e.g. drape...shoulder styles...lapel variations....and then you indulge yourself in those variations and then you notice the subtle variations...cut...fit...

Tldr getting the near perfect dj ain't easy

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sure your tailors appreciate your picking up their R&D budgets for them.

Markus W

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For me it get´s even worst. I love a jacket one day and hate it the other. One day it´s perfect and the next day I want the back longer and arms shorter and everything else is wrong, too. o_O I came to the conclusion that the perfect jacket/trousers does not exist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads