• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

konstantis

Reaction score
(@konstantis) Konstanti hi,

It's been written before, but here it goes: most mills - for sure the Italian ones - have 4 shades of grey solid flannel:

- shade 1: light grey
- shade 2: light-to-mid grey
- shade 3: mid-to-dark grey
- shade 4: charcoal

I presume that you are between shades 2 & 3, whereas I think the one of @aristoi bcn is shade 2. If I were you, I would chose shade 2 with herringbone (can be used as a "Blazer-suit"), or shade 3 in a solid form.

Best,

Dimitris
Thank you dear Dimitri.

buddyfuzz

Reaction score
IME, it's always easier to wear a slightly darker coat because the eye is used to seeing a darker jacket with lighter colored pants. Some men also feel uncomfortable wearing white pants, so there's a certain "limit" to how light they're willing to go with trousers.

IMO, the two jackets you posted above can be worn with mid-gray trousers. Would go with a cloth like tropical wool for that hard finish.

Otherwise, I also find that it's easy to match sport coats + trousers if you use the same color, but go a few shades lighter or darker. So for the two jackets above, you can go tan or dark brown for the pants. The only catch: for the jacket on the right (the lighter of the two), you will want to go towards cream rather than tan to get more contrast.

Draper's Ascot 4-ply also has this specific shade that sits between brown and gray (#18055). I have a sport coat that's similar to the color you have on the right. I wear it with these pants all the time and really like how the combo looks. You're working with two similar colors -- brown -- and both on the cooler side of the spectrum. The outfit ends up looking very sophisticated. I think they work with black tassel loafers or dark brown derbies.

No Man Walks Alone sells a RTW version of it. The price is surprisingly good ($455). I bought mine custom and think I paid about $300 for the cloth alone.

View attachment 1706216 View attachment 1706217
Very helpful. I think I'll go with the lighter cloth as I am trying to break out and explore the 'northern lights' combos, and this feels like a relatively accessible shade to do it with. I have a Dark Grey fresco-esque pair of trousers (Dugdale TropicalAir) that looks lovely next to the swatch. Seems like a very easy way to dress the jacket up, but I also have some Brisbane Moss cream cotton trousers to go the other way. The right shade of Olive also seems to work well.

The Drapers looks fantastic. I wish more mills/merchants had that Grey/Brown shade in various finishes as I do think it'd extremely versatile for cold colour palettes.

moimael

Reaction score
Thinking of having a balmacaan made in solid charcoal and debating fabric types and weights. live in canada where it can get quite cold, but dont want to go overkill with a 28oz fabric. what is everyone's take on 15oz vs 18oz. or should i be looking heavier?

I've also been considering the loro piana storm system fabrics but those seem to be in the 290gsm 8.6oz range.

One of my favorite all time coats is a land's end duffel coat made from tiroler loden and lined with thinsulate. has anyone ever lined an overcoat with thinsulate?
It really depends where you live in Canada. I have the SEH Kelly Bal, 28oz, in Montreal, and it's great for the beginning of the winter. I don't see myself wearing it when it's -30. I think -10, -15 with a good layering is as far as it can go.

whirlwynds

Reaction score
It really depends where you live in Canada. I have the SEH Kelly Bal, 28oz, in Montreal, and it's great for the beginning of the winter. I don't see myself wearing it when it's -30. I think -10, -15 with a good layering is as far as it can go.
very good advice. thank you! what do you move to when it gets colder? parka?

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
It seems that my inner thighs am become death, destroyer of trousers. I had a pair made of a very lovely, but seemingly rather soft cloth, which I presume was a flannel, a few months ago that being worn for one work day a week since July have worn a hole into. I suppose that I should have known better, but the texture was delightful and I loved the dark steel grey color; they were also rather comfortable. Nevertheless, they are now not suitable for wear. (The matching waistcoat is still usable, at least)

I would appreciate guidance as to the most resilient, hardest-wearing cloths for trousers and whether there are flannels that I could be more or less assured would withstand my evidently considerable generation of friction. (Ideally available in a dove grey or steel grey) I assume so given how familiar the phrase, "flannel trousers," is, but I am for the moment skitish to an unreasonable degree about anything short of steel cuisses. Hand-forged, of course.

Last edited:

moimael

Reaction score
very good advice. thank you! what do you move to when it gets colder? parka?
Yes. I have a PWVC frobisher with wool wadding that does wonders. I also wear a Buzz Rickson 34oz melton duffle or a B-3 shearling. Down parkas works great too. You can also have a MTM or bespoke thick wool coat made with quilted wool wadding (VBC and the likes have bunch with those). But for extreme temperature, a parka is your best bet, and it can look good if you chose it carefully.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that my inner thighs am become death, destroyer of trousers. I had a pair made of a very lovely, but seemingly rather soft cloth, which I presume was a flannel, a few months ago that being worn for one work day a week since July have worn a hole into. I suppose that I should have known better, but the texture was delightful and I loved the dark steel grey color; they were also rather comfortable. Nevertheless, they are now not suitable for wear. (The matching waistcoat is still usable, at least)

I would appreciate guidance as to the most resilient, hardest-wearing cloths for trousers and whether there are flannels that I could be more or less assured would withstand my evidently considerable generation of friction. (Ideally available in a dove grey or steel grey) I assume so given how familiar the phrase, "flannel trousers," is, but I am for the moment skitish to an unreasonable degree about anything short of steel cuisses. Hand-forged, of course.
I have the same issues with flannel and stick with calvary twill in the heavier weights. These will take a beating.
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 10.55.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 10.55.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 10.55.07 PM.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hard twills will wear harder than soft woolens. Try cavalry twill or whipcord. Both are available in the Holland & Sherry Dakota book.

Sreezy36

Reaction score
Hard twills will wear harder than soft woolens. Try cavalry twill or whipcord. Both are available in the Holland & Sherry Dakota book.
I have the same issues with flannel and stick with calvary twill in the heavier weights. These will take a beating.
View attachment 1708437 View attachment 1708438 View attachment 1708440
would heavy weight worsted twills also work well as beater odd trousers? 400-440g worsted twills. For example:
https://apparel.hollandandsherry.com/en/6218058-city-of-london-light-gray-solid

D3065087-B9DD-4DC7-AA47-BCD9046386CA.jpeg
3AF554FC-5119-4C8B-920D-C07C72CC03FD.jpeg

25FB1305-9160-4FD8-90E9-BFFCAF041F3D.jpeg

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would heavy weight worsted twills also work well as beater odd trousers? 400-440g worsted twills. For example:

View attachment 1708561 View attachment 1708562
View attachment 1708574
My trousers at 600 grams are 6 years old and still going strong but they've had limited use since the start of Covid. Also had a pair of worsted calvary twill trousers around 440 gms which lasted me 7 years with repeated use. Moving forward I plan on using heavy weight twill (=< 600gms ) for trousers.

If you have a pair of trousers you like I would buy multiple pairs.

Last edited:

Marshak

Reaction score
My trousers at 600 grams are 6 years old and still going on strong but they've had limited use since the start of Covid. Also had a pair of worsted calvary twill trousers around 440 gms which lasted me 7 years with repeated use. Moving forward I plan on using heavy weight twill (=< 600gms ) for trousers.

If you have a pair of trousers you like I would buy multiple pairs.
To which heavy twill are you thinking?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1708561 View attachment 1708562
View attachment 1708574
Worsteds generally wear harder than woolens. The downside to a hard-finished fabric is that it can develop a shine, whereas a fuzzy woolen has a nap.

14oz is pretty normal for pants. I personally don't like going heavier for pants because I don't like how the fabric ends up looking and hanging.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Heavier weight works better with braces. But then you are committing to a jacket or at least a sweater.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To which heavy twill are you thinking?
I still squat and power clean heavy so my thighs are constantly rubbing together. You may not have to go this route if you have a smaller frame.

But if you want to be like the fabulous Lord Superb just know I like fabrics from Dugdale and W. Bill Calvary. I try to build my fall and winter sport coats around the three fabric colors I posted above in the previous post.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.