• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

bernoulli

Reaction score
Also you may consider asking your tailors to reinforce the areas that are creating issues. I have done it and my flannels and worsted have lasted 10 years and counting. But yeah, cavalry twill will last a lifetime

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My trousers at 600 grams are 6 years old and still going strong but they've had limited use since the start of Covid. Also had a pair of worsted calvary twill trousers around 440 gms which lasted me 7 years with repeated use. Moving forward I plan on using heavy weight twill (=< 600gms ) for trousers.

If you have a pair of trousers you like I would buy multiple pairs.
I'm not too familiar with the typical fabric weights for trousers - is this on the heavy side or normal?

Are you able to wear these in a DC summer? Or are these strictly fall/winter/spring trousers?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using wool crepe to make a suit. Thinking of getting some 80s armani inspired jackets made

reidd

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using wool crepe to make a suit. Thinking of getting some 80s armani inspired jackets made
Wool crepe DB would be awesome. Not sure I've seen any crepe in any books lately though. Any idea where you'd source it?

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the typical fabric weights for trousers - is this on the heavy side or normal?

Are you able to wear these in a DC summer? Or are these strictly fall/winter/spring trousers?
DC summers are hot and humid. I would only recommend wearing shorts in the summer time, but if I have to go in I’ll wear linen or cotton trousers.

I definitely need to buy more high twist trousers for occasions that are summer formal.

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I am currently planning my first (and basically essential) overcoat comission.

I want a heavyish navy ulster coat. Somewhere in the 600-800g range. Preferably Woolen, not Covert. The coat is meant to be worn with anything from denim to suiting.

Now, most navys i saw so far seemed quite flat to me.

Does anyone here have cloth suggestions for navy with a bit of depth and texture?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

I am currently planning my first (and basically essential) overcoat comission.

I want a heavyish navy ulster coat. Somewhere in the 600-800g range. Preferably Woolen, not Covert. The coat is meant to be worn with anything from denim to suiting.

Now, most navys i saw so far seemed quite flat to me.

Does anyone here have cloth suggestions for navy with a bit of depth and texture?
what have you seen? Holland and Sherry and Fox Bros both have heavy weight navy wools in that range.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was gonna buy an el cheapo bolt j clissold bolt off ebay but holland and sherry does one for their womenswear range and b and j have some nice double crepes. I always found the fabric intriguing and have always wanted one made. Might even get a fun dj...
Wool crepe DB would be awesome. Not sure I've seen any crepe in any books lately though. Any idea where you'd source it?

reidd

Reaction score
I was gonna buy an el cheapo bolt j clissold bolt off ebay but holland and sherry does one for their womenswear range and b and j have some nice double crepes. I always found the fabric intriguing and have always wanted one made. Might even get a fun dj...
I agree. Crepe has texture without truly standing out. A navy would have a lot of personality similar to the way mock leno does with the former reading slightly more formal (more suity).

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are our Dinner Jackets' man!

How many DJs already?

Best,

Dimitris
I have thrown alot of my old ones out as I have outgrown them. Regular gym and putting on weight can be paradoxically expensive. Currently down to 4 in regular rotation with 2 more otw...having the new ones recut with more drape...extended shoulders and lower buttoning point inspired by 80s armani and 90s brioni

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
I have thrown alot of my old ones out as I have outgrown them. Regular gym and putting on weight can be paradoxically expensive. Currently down to 4 in regular rotation with 2 more otw...having the new ones recut with more drape...extended shoulders and lower buttoning point inspired by 80s armani and 90s brioni

I see.

Well, FWIW, I find the former (80s Armani) quite relaxed in style, while I never cared about the latter (90s Brioni); I let Pierce Brosnan (as James Bond) to do the job!

Best,

Dimitris

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see.

Well, FWIW, I find the former (80s Armani) quite relaxed in style, while I never cared about the latter (90s Brioni); I let Pierce Brosnan (as James Bond) to do the job!

Best,

Dimitris
I personally found pierce brosnan suits as james bond to be the best in the series. I also loved his suits in thomas crown affair. I have been experimenting with the armani drape for casual sports jackets and suitings and the latter style for formalwear thought I'll try the crepe fabric dj in an armani style

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.