• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marshak

Reaction score
Did any of you order something in the vintage Arthur Harrison 2080 flannel sold by Harrison's of Burley ? Seems very close in shade and texture to the flannel currently produced by Taylor and Lodge (who bought back Arthur Harrison).

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had been thinking of having a jacket made up in this style that @UrbanComposition just posted. Cucinelli makes a similar one that had been the original inspiration.

Trying to decide on fabrics to grab some swatches from and wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on a wool/cashmere blend or brushed jersey fabric that might have some stretch to it.

I do a fair number of one day trips for work so I’m envisioning a completely unstructured jacket I can kind of ball up on flights and then pull out and can bounce between looking like a sweater/jacket on days when all I fly with is my briefcase.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had been thinking of having a jacket made up in this style that @UrbanComposition just posted. Cucinelli makes a similar one that had been the original inspiration.

Trying to decide on fabrics to grab some swatches from and wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on a wool/cashmere blend or brushed jersey fabric that might have some stretch to it.

I do a fair number of one day trips for work so I’m envisioning a completely unstructured jacket I can kind of ball up on flights and then pull out and can bounce between looking like a sweater/jacket on days when all I fly with is my briefcase.

Why have that made and not get it off the rack? There are a ton of brands that do that sort of thing nowadays -- Canali, Barena, etc.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why have that made and not get it off the rack? There are a ton of brands that do that sort of thing nowadays -- Canali, Barena, etc.
Mainly customization - fabric/color. But fit also a factor - I nearly got the BC version but the fit just was wonky on me and my wife vetoed it based on the fit.
CF5AAEEB-A820-4C5F-8C47-0520B436EA8D.jpeg

Canali tends to fit me well OTR which is why I was encouraged by the one Peter posted but it appears they only make it in that shade - I was thinking something in a navy or a navy melange would be easier to pair with what I normally wear and for its intended use

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mainly customization - fabric/color. But fit also a factor - I nearly got the BC version but the fit just was wonky on me and my wife vetoed it based on the fit. View attachment 1710720

Canali tends to fit me well OTR which is why I was encouraged by the one Peter posted but it appears they only make it in that shade - I was thinking something in a navy or a navy melange would be easier to pair with what I normally wear and for its intended use

This is an unusual style for a tailor, so you may want to see if they can produce such a thing. Similar to the idea of sticking to a house style.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can do bespoke @Jmr928 but if you want to step up from this and most others like it, I’d recommend getting it lined. The jersey knit is awesome but it catches on everything underneath and makes for unflattering bunchy rolls/wrinkles.

To your question, I saw both Drapers and Zegna jersey bunches when Salvo was out.

marmite

Reaction score
Weber+Weber have really nice travel blazers. The quality is quite good, esp. for the price. I think it's an Austrian company, but the garments are made in Italy. I use an unlined 3 roll 2 Boglioli jacket the same way but it's obviously styled differently.

I'm looking for a bold plaid coating fabric. Any ideas where to look? Something like this peacoat from Todd Snyder.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Random fabric thought: it's amazing to me how little effort some mills and merchants put into representing their cloth online. I realize colors can come off differently on a screen, but the gap between what's represented on a website and the swatch you get in the mail is astounding. It's like they took photos with a potato camera.

emptym

Reaction score
@Jmr928, Luxire made me a similar jacket out of boiled wool flannel.
IMG_2709 3.jpeg
IMG_7223.jpeg

Some more pics here.

It's great for travel: soft, wrinkle-resistant, breathes well, fairly wind-resistant. I got the flannel then washed it myself in scalding water. Navy would be neat.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks great @emptym Dense navy boucle would be my travel fabric of choice: stretchy but unlike jersey it wouldn’t catch on everything…or maybe I’m kidding myself…

Actually, this would be a great option: @DavidLane and I noticed this Drapers fabric that is 100% wool, a good middle weight (330g), has a loose weave, wrinkle resistant, has a really pronounced twill, is naturally super stretchy/springy, isn’t shiny, is made in England…and ridiculously expensive. Like $350/m.

We’re wondering who the mill is; hopefully we can find it cheaper. It’s pretty much the perfect travel blazer cloth.

65544DCF-E33A-4DE0-93F3-51963D8D0204.jpeg
6A918001-86B7-4B3A-99AD-475438EFE516.jpeg

Last edited:

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @UrbanComposition,

Since you mention Zegna on your previous post above, a very nice alternative, and far more economical than the Drapers one, is offered by Ermenegildo Zegna in their "Bielmonte" line: the fabrics (100% Wool, at 360grams) come from sheep living in Oasi Zegna, the Group's natural habitat. These fabrics are equivalent to Loro Piana "Sopra Viso" if you have ever handled them, and possess some of the properties that you mention above.

Here is what I have chosen for a similar project to yours:

1638052435282.png

Best,

Dimitris

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with fresco mohair from Hardy Minnis? Earlier, there has been an illuminating discussion on the pros and cons of mohair, but fresco is such a unique beast that I wouldn't mind picking the brains of the experienced members in the forum. This is a blue-grey that does not seem to have any sheen and feels similar to the other scratchy fabrics on the Fresco III book by Huddersfield (I am a big fan of the coarse and sturdy nature of fresco - https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/55).

For context, I usually have 3-piece suits made out of fresco fabrics.

IMG_3931.jpg

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with fresco mohair from Hardy Minnis? Earlier, there has been an illuminating discussion on the pros and cons of mohair, but fresco is such a unique beast that I wouldn't mind picking the brains of the experienced members in the forum. This is a blue-grey that does not seem to have any sheen and feels similar to the other scratchy fabrics on the Fresco III book by Huddersfield (I am a big fan of the coarse and sturdy nature of fresco - https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/55).

For context, I usually have 3-piece suits made out of fresco fabrics.

View attachment 1711143
Think dormeuil tonik but more lightweight and slightly softer...and still as scratchy!

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with Dormeuil. I just funded this 3-piece in a regular fresco from HM. I am wondering if I can expect a similar drape from Fresco Mohair.

View attachment 1711160 View attachment 1711161
Bonus pic - Iron Man and rust go hand in hand.
View attachment 1711162
The short of it is yes...perhaps even more drape than regular fresco or most mohair blends. The only fabric I have encountered which surpasses this is the 3 ply halstead mohair.

I would get the fresco mohair fully lined...it can be scratchy as hell

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads