• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2.5 to 3 suits with extra pair of trousers or 4 suits? I know what I prefer.

As for playing conservative: if you are never going to need it, it is just a waste of money.

For many years I had three suits. Never had any issue with the trousers.

But yeah, it is a personal choice. I am just trying to point out the pros and cons.

yep, do what works for you. What works for me and what possibly may work for the op is playing it safe by ordering an extra pair of trousers. Especially if one has a very small rotation and/or plans to wear a suit more than twice in one week. The larger the rotation of suits, the less an extra set of trousers is needed. Btw, bespoke trousers are usually less than half of the price of jacket. I doubt that buying an extra pair of trousers is comparable to buying an additional suit.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The best option for extra trousers is with something that can get double use. Grey flannel that can also be worn under a blazer, for example. Len Logsdail once said here or on another board that he had a client who'd figured out the way to order suits-- 6 pieces. SB, DB, a waistcoat, and a third pair of trousers. Something classic and nondescript, I'd guess, so nobody thought it weird you kept wearing it day and night through the week. If I find a truly evergreen solid LL fabric that could also go under a sport jacket, that means 12m.

Pinstripes are probably less of an obvious application, unless you know you'll be working 16 hours a day at your desk, 6 days a week at the bank with your jacket off.

Last edited:

Stanacle

Reaction score
Hi All, Simon of permanent style wrote in his blog that he would not recommend suits be made in wool/cashmere mix because the pants lose the shape easily and becomes baggy below the knees.

I have my eyes on a 270g super 150 95% wool and 5% cashmere fabrics. Have you had any suits made in this ratio of mixture? How is it in retaining the shape? Thanks a lot!

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All, Simon of permanent style wrote in his blog that he would not recommend suits be made in wool/cashmere mix because the pants lose the shape easily and becomes baggy below the knees.

I have my eyes on a 270g super 150 95% wool and 5% cashmere fabrics. Have you had any suits made in this ratio of mixture? How is it in retaining the shape? Thanks a lot!
I personally think 5% or even 10% is to minuscule of a blend to make a difference in drape.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 270g and 150 may be a bigger influence. Not to mention the quality of the book. Either way this is not going to be a wear-all-day beater.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

I have a suit in Harrison's Premier Cru. I think it's 5% cashmere. I've had no problems with pants bagging. I remember some members slagging this book, but I'm happy with the suit. If I recall correctly, @Despos likes this book.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No experience with cashmere blends for suitings, but if I was concerned about something like that, I would ask for a slightly wider trouser. If you get slim trousers, you will put more stress on the knees when you sit, which will cause bagging.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

My first "good" suit is in this exact formulation, and it feels like any other worsted, except perhaps a touch softer. The tailor specifically said that 5% is a good # to feel an increased softness without any noticeable change in how the fabric handles.

Relevant: Just like how most of us won't live long enough to actually ever have to actually resole our 20+ pairs of shoes, I don't think anyone here ever works their massive rotations of tailoring enough to degrade the shape of any single item except maaaaybe perhaps that favorite pair of odd flannel trousers.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
I would appreciate some advice on choosing between a 60 % wool, 40 % alpaca blend and a wool-cashmere blend cloth for an overcoat.

My local tailor has gotten a sample of a a pretty heavyweight example of the first and expects to soon enough have a likewise weighty sample of the second. Pattern and color will matter, but aside from observing that Alpaca appears to have a certain 'fuzziness' to it, I don't know anything about the alternatives. I doubt that either would be a mistake, but don't know how they might be different. (I also don't know the mill responsible; the tailor isn't getting them from Fast Eddies House of Fabric or whatever, but I cannot elaborate on their provenance, although I gather that he has been using these suppliers for quite a while.)

Dear @Encathol Epistemia,

My experience is straight from fabrics of Italian provenance, so I can only speak in this context.

Alpaca is a “veritable” overcoating fabric-mix’ component, beside its warmth properties, it also contributes fuzziness (in deed!) and weight to the fabric.

On the other hand, cashmere (other things being equal) at an industry average of 14 micron is lightweight, hence the mix becomes lighter, absolutely warm, luxurious, and highly insulated due to the very nature of its fibers.

Please, come back with more info on the subject matter.

Best,

Dimitris

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first "good" suit is in this exact formulation, and it feels like any other worsted, except perhaps a touch softer. The tailor specifically said that 5% is a good # to feel an increased softness without any noticeable change in how the fabric handles.

Relevant: Just like how most of us won't live long enough to actually ever have to actually resole our 20+ pairs of shoes, I don't think anyone here ever works their massive rotations of tailoring enough to degrade the shape of any single item except maaaaybe perhaps that favorite pair of odd flannel trousers.

Most guys will probably outgrow their bespoke pieces before they wear them out. Personally I wear my stuff pretty hard and I'm sure at least some of my items will eventually bite the dust. Flannel trousers are a good example.. Also blue blazers show shine really fast and also draw a lot of wear; like burning the candle at both ends. I also don't have a massive rotation, just a few core bespoke pieces that tend to get a lot of wear. I'd imagine many others take a similar approach.

On the cashmere blend issue specifically, I don't think I'd want a cashmere blend to be my first and only bespoke suit but if the cloth is from a good mill, I doubt it should wear in all that different than a pure wool in the same weight.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just means that the fibers will have a maximum diameter, and therefore be finer and more expensive. So probably thinner fabric and more flexible. Some might warn that it will also be more fragile, although that's a tough thing to worry about with flannel.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wanting to have a flannel jacket, for the drape /softness and texture
kind of interested in this cloth
https://standevenfabrics.co.uk/product/22054-autumn-green-plain-flannel/
but i have some question about this one
it said it is a super 120s flannel
what's the different compare to normal woolen flannel?

thank you
Personall bias but standeven generally specializes in mohair I would not go to them as a default for flannels unless they make a particular design you cant get elsewhere

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wanting to have a flannel jacket, for the drape /softness and texture
kind of interested in this cloth
https://standevenfabrics.co.uk/product/22054-autumn-green-plain-flannel/
but i have some question about this one
it said it is a super 120s flannel
what's the different compare to normal woolen flannel?

thank you

I think this could be a good jacket. I haven't had any Standeven clothes but every book of theirs I have seen has looked really nice. Super 120s will not be much different than another English flannel.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a suit in Harrison's Premier Cru. I think it's 5% cashmere. I've had no problems with pants bagging. I remember some members slagging this book, but I'm happy with the suit. If I recall correctly, @Despos likes this book.
Correct. @Despos made my wedding suit out of this book.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads