• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

ramp

Reaction score
Any rec's for a grey high-top shoe or boot that fits this description:

-Under $150 (though I could go higher if I really loved it)
-Not too formal. Will be worn with slim jeans and chinos, 50/50 tee-shirts and button-downs.
-Relatively low profile.

There was a pair of CP training boots I saw on ebay that I really liked, but the bid went too high and I can't afford to pay retail prices. Maybe there's a cheaper alternative?

thomazzz

Reaction score
Oh holla, first post!

I'm looking for a good pair of slim fit chinos. Nothing uber slim or trendy but a pair of slim fit pants I could wear to work and not look under dressed or with a t-shirt and sneakers without looking silly. I like the JCrew urban slim chinos but would be interested in some other options. I almost bought a pair of Marc slim chinos off ebay but couldn't pull the trigger because I thought they may have been too short.

Thanks in advance.

limester816

Reaction score
Who makes a good university coat/peacoat that isn't J.Crew? Preferably not extremely expensive as well. I have the same question for denim chambray shirts...

tim_pnin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816
Who makes a good university coat/peacoat that isn't J.Crew? Preferably not extremely expensive as well. I have the same question for denim chambray shirts...

Why does it have to be not made by J. Crew? I have their peacoat in size L tall, and it's fairly nice. And I'm no J. Crew fan either -- it's the only thing by them I have in my closet.

limester816

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_pnin
Why does it have to be not made by J. Crew? I have their peacoat in size L tall, and it's fairly nice. And I'm no J. Crew fan either -- it's the only thing by them I have in my closet.

Seems everyone has it these days (especially at my college in New England)

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramp
Any rec's for a grey high-top shoe or boot that fits this description: -Under $150 (though I could go higher if I really loved it) -Not too formal. Will be worn with slim jeans and chinos, 50/50 tee-shirts and button-downs. -Relatively low profile. There was a pair of CP training boots I saw on ebay that I really liked, but the bid went too high and I can't afford to pay retail prices. Maybe there's a cheaper alternative?
http://www.davidz.com/products2.cfm/...d-Z-Exclusive/ I like those myself
Sterlingwear of Boston makes a great peacoat for a pricetag not usually seen on SF-approved items
tongue.gif
. Have mine coming in the mail as we speak. Here is the official Peacoat thread and it mainly talks about Sterlingwear http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=144305

tim_pnin

Reaction score
Seems everyone has it these days (especially at my college in New England)

If you're put off by the ubiquity of the peacoat, I would suggest going with the Filson Mackinaw Cruiser.

http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=503&page=1

Same basic concept as a peacoat, about equal in versatility, looks cool, can keep it forever, made in the USA. Can't really go wrong.

savejake

Reaction score
i poke my head in here ever few months. high interest in getting a new wardrobe as i continue to slim down (25 pounds down, 25 to go). however, since a lot of clothes are starting to finally fit again, I thought I'd ask the next logical step after i successfully got the basic groupthink starter kit: APC NS, check ****** boots in beeswax, check various colors in AA 2001, check Along with these I have a new timepiece on the way, a few old merino wool sweaters in red/black/gray/navy from gap/banana republic, and a few casual buttonups in various shades of browns i've picked up from buffalo exchange over the years. my instincts suggest a couple pairs of shoes (sneakers of some sort, black casual shoes/boots of some sort) and better quality/M2M buttonsups. if i had resort to klepto for fashion, i'd probably pick paul newman. any and all help warmly received. few more months of the exercise/nutrition regime and i just may be ready for WAYWT.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savejake
i poke my head in here ever few months. high interest in getting a new wardrobe as i continue to slim down (25 pounds down, 25 to go). however, since a lot of clothes are starting to finally fit again, I thought I'd ask the next logical step after i successfully got the basic groupthink starter kit: APC NS, check ****** boots in beeswax, check various colors in AA 2001, check Along with these I have a new timepiece on the way, a few old merino wool sweaters in red/black/gray/navy from gap/banana republic, and a few casual buttonups in various shades of browns i've picked up from buffalo exchange over the years. my instincts suggest a couple pairs of shoes (sneakers of some sort, black casual shoes/boots of some sort) and better quality/M2M buttonsups. if i had resort to klepto for fashion, i'd probably pick paul newman. any and all help warmly received. few more months of the exercise/nutrition regime and i just may be ready for WAYWT.
Budget and tastes?

savejake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Budget and tastes?
Because I'm still in the middle of small body changes, nothing absolutely outlandish, but a few promotions means I'm not that concerned with the price tag if it's worth it. Translated I suppose that means while I love shopping for a deal and a cheap buy, I'm perfectly ok with 150-300 per pair of shoes, 20-80 for shirts (or more if it's a really swell shirt), 180-350 for jeans, willing to save for the bigger purchases (suit, jacket, etc) Suggested above, but a sort of earth-toned paul newman look tends to be what I go for. Casual shirts you could or could not iron with dual pockets, sweaters over them if it gets cold (which it doesn't in LA). i'm not absoutely dedicated to this look--one of my favorite outfits is all grayscale, and I'm addicted to The Impossible Cool blog, which varies from style to style. Because I've never had anything close to a full wardrobe, i'm willing to try a few things. That said, Denim/boots/earth tones tends to be my bread and butter. And if there are better words to describe whatever-the-hell I just did, those are also received with gratitude.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Need some recommendations for trousers in the $1-$200 range.. on sale and which brands?

biggmike211

Reaction score
Howdy!

was wondering if anyone could recommend any nice casual tees or tops in the $1-$200 range.. what brands, sale etc... thanks a lot!!

Foxtrot56

Reaction score
I need a jacket, I do not want to spend over $200 unless it is really worth it. I was looking around as much as I could and these are what I found, all acceptable? Are the quality of uniqlo jackets worth the price? I am assume yes since they are so cheap.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...058199-000-08/
http://needsupply.com/mens/outerwear...ry-jacket.html
http://needsupply.com/mens/outerwear/m65-jacket.html
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...456&qs=3009651
What should I get?

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...:category/d:6/

Also I am thinking about getting that sweater vest and shirt, do they go together? Also I could use a sweater. Am I a horrible person with horrible ideas or will the vest and shirt go with my cheap jeans alright?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads