• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mamamiashoes

Reaction score
I emailed them and this is what I got back.

"The entire sole of each shoe is intertwined with the body of the shoe, so replacing a sole would affect the shoe's structural integrity. Also because the soles are handcrafted and hand punched, no replacements are possible. "

They won`t fix them for you, they don`t do repairs. Tod`s are extremely expensive, disposable shoes. Once the sole has worn down there is no replacement that will fit them and no cobbler i`ve spoken to can fix them. People should know this before you drop 700 on a pair of their shoes. They don`t give a **** about their customers. This is the last time I buy from them, ferragamo is so much better.

TradThrifter

Reaction score
haha some strong Tods dissapointments here. I suppose it is the nature of the style of shoe to wear down quickly, but when you pay so much for them you would like to get your money's worth, so to speak.

mamamiashoes

Reaction score
absolutely, and to be clear it's not the driving shoes that i bought. they are ankle boots with a rubber sole. when i bought them the salesman definitely told me i could get them resoled in the future through tod's. to find out i spent so much and now they are garbage really gets me down. they are handsome shoes and comfortable to walk in but had i known they were gonna wear out so quickly i would never have bought them. i was gonna buy driving shoes too and now i'm definitely not considering buying from tod's again. disappointment doesn't start to describe how i'm feeling about this right now. what a bunch of ****.

MisterFu

Reaction score
Is the lack of resoling limited to just rubber soled Tod's?

mamamiashoes

Reaction score
the leather soles are also attached in a way that can't be taken off without destroying the shoes. both leather and rubber soled tod's are made to be enjoyed for a short time and then thrown away.

source: email from tod's

MisterFu

Reaction score
the leather soles are also attached in a way that can't be taken off without destroying the shoes. both leather and rubber soled tod's are made to be enjoyed for a short time and then thrown away.

source: email from tod's
Really. Wow.

Note to self: never buy a pair of Tod's.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like driving shoes and have a few pairs but always get the ones with the 'island' type soles with larger rubber blocks, than the tod's style nubs. I'm sure they are much longer lasting.

It's ridiculous when people say they are meant only for driving not walking. At some point you're gonna have to get out of the car. I love them for weekend wear, going to the diner, shops, boardwalk etc. I don't expect to be hiking the Appalachian trail in them but they are fine for a few hours wear on a weekend.

Tough luck on the OP being told his shoes could be resoled then finding out they can't.

mamamiashoes

Reaction score
Tough luck on the OP being told his shoes could be resoled then finding out they can't.
This is by far the worst part, I am aware not every shoe can be resoled but I prefer shoes that can be...Especially, if their price is higher.That's why I specifically asked about it. Partially my fault too, now that I think about it, I could tell this guy was the sleaziest salesman. Flagship store of one of the biggest retailers in the country. Every time he brought out a pair of shoes he bragged that he owned a pair and how great they feel, allegedly this guy owns like 40 different kinds of designer shoes. And he pushed the shoe trees hard. I told him how I had some I bought in advance but allegedly this guy has the best shoe trees in the world he wouldn't shut up about them. I'm gonna take it as a lesson learned avoid TOD'S in general. and do your research beforehand. Had I known they discount their shoes 40-50% it would have been a huge red flag in my mind. Where I am I've only seen them for full price. I'm pissed about the salesman but to be totally honest I will probably continue shopping there because they sell a lot of my favourite brands and I'm not into travelling far to shop.

Camilo

Reaction score
Wow, I guess this also goes for the Agnelli boot as well. What a shame.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any competent cobbler would sand the rubber nubs even with the leather and cement a flat rubber sole on them.
-Or- stitch a leather sole on them with a slight lift in the heel.
They won't be like the original bottom but the shoe would be certainly serviceable.

ap10046

Reaction score
I know this is a REALLY old thread and apologies for the resurrection, but I'm in a bit of a similar dilemma.
With 8 pairs of Ferragamo driving shoes about to be binned, would be very grateful for any help.
ALL of them with their "island" rubber soles have split, as in the "islands" have actually separated/split from the 1 piece rubber sole!
I've written to Ferragamo numerous times but they obviously haven't learnt the concept of customer service. Oh well.

Can they be salvaged? Layer of shoe goo on the entire inside? The leathers look almost brand new and I would hate to chuck the lot away.

IChen

Reaction score
I know this is a REALLY old thread and apologies for the resurrection, but I'm in a bit of a similar dilemma.
With 8 pairs of Ferragamo driving shoes about to be binned, would be very grateful for any help.
ALL of them with their "island" rubber soles have split, as in the "islands" have actually separated/split from the 1 piece rubber sole!
I've written to Ferragamo numerous times but they obviously haven't learnt the concept of customer service. Oh well.

Can they be salvaged? Layer of shoe goo on the entire inside? The leathers look almost brand new and I would hate to chuck the lot away.

Contact your nearest store by phone or email and say you need some repairs. Bring it to the store and drop them off for repair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads