1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tod's sole replacement

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thecentennial, Dec 2, 2010.

1. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

OK, so I have a pair of Tod's loafers, nice shoes, uber comfy..they are not drivers so I am expected to walk in them.

My question is, can the famous Tod's dimpled rubber soles be replaced once worn? For expensive shoes you would think this would be an option..has anyone shipped theirs back to Tod's for repair?

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

repair? they arent damaged. they are worn down.

3. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

My question is, once they are worn down completely, can the soles be replaced?

4. narcissism

narcissism Senior member

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

No clue. Never tried and I have several pairs(loafers and dressier loafer/shoes.) I will take the abopve poster at their word...

6. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

No. Tod's shoes cannot be re-soled. Their construction does not, and is not intended to, allow for it. Sorry to say you must go purchase new ones.

7. narcissism

narcissism Senior member

No. Tod's suck.

I should have been more articulate in my criticism of Tod's. These kind of shoes are not meant for the elements, such as walking outside on concrete or any surface for that matter. The little nubs on the sole wear down very quickly and cannot be replaced. Therefore its frustrating to pay $300 + for shoes that you won't get adequate use out of. Go for driving moccasins with solid rubber soles. The Car Shoe by Prada makes nice ones.

8. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

OK, so I have a pair of Tod's loafers, nice shoes, uber comfy..they are not drivers so I am expected to walk in them.

My question is, can the famous Tod's dimpled rubber soles be replaced once worn? For expensive shoes you would think this would be an option..has anyone shipped theirs back to Tod's for repair?

lt hard to say.
    Taking sole off can negative effect upper because it glued to sole and then blake stitch.
    lf sole can be detach from upper proper it could be possible by good repair man.

9. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

I should have been more articulate in my criticism of Tod's. These kind of shoes are not meant for the elements, such as walking outside on concrete or any surface for that matter. The little nubs on the sole wear down very quickly and cannot be replaced. Therefore its frustrating to pay $300 + for shoes that you won't get adequate use out of. Go for driving moccasins with solid rubber soles. The Car Shoe by Prada makes nice ones.

Yeah, Tod's don't really make sense for walking around. Although that's sort of built into the idea of a driving shoe, no?

10. RLP

RLP Senior member

Calls for your pair of shoes

11. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

If you are referring to the ball like or bar like rubber soles at the bottom, the answer is no.

I made a mistake of doing it at a cobbler once. They cut off the bottom and stick a new big piece of rubber sole. It looked awful. Now, I buy these mocs or walking shoes knowing full well this is going to happen. If you dont like it, you just have to find one with a leather sole.

I later went to ask the SA - can the brand actually repair it for me? They referred me to the cobbler.

12. Icarus

Icarus Senior member

That's a good one.

13. Patek

Patek Senior member

One more reason to buy the BB version for around $100 and replace said shoe as necessary.

14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I have a pair of Tod's and find its support like that of a pair of slipper. They are absolutely if I am on my feet more than a couple of hours.

15. narcissism

narcissism Senior member

One more reason to buy the BB version for around $100 and replace said shoe as necessary.

BB version?

16. mamamiashoes

mamamiashoes New Member

I emailed them and this is what I got back.

"The entire sole of each shoe is intertwined with the body of the shoe, so replacing a sole would affect the shoe's structural integrity. Also because the soles are handcrafted and hand punched, no replacements are possible. "

They won`t fix them for you, they don`t do repairs. Tod`s are extremely expensive, disposable shoes. Once the sole has worn down there is no replacement that will fit them and no cobbler i`ve spoken to can fix them. People should know this before you drop 700 on a pair of their shoes. They don`t give a shit about their customers. This is the last time I buy from them, ferragamo is so much better.

17. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Senior member

haha some strong Tods dissapointments here. I suppose it is the nature of the style of shoe to wear down quickly, but when you pay so much for them you would like to get your money's worth, so to speak.

18. mamamiashoes

mamamiashoes New Member

absolutely, and to be clear it's not the driving shoes that i bought. they are ankle boots with a rubber sole. when i bought them the salesman definitely told me i could get them resoled in the future through tod's. to find out i spent so much and now they are garbage really gets me down. they are handsome shoes and comfortable to walk in but had i known they were gonna wear out so quickly i would never have bought them. i was gonna buy driving shoes too and now i'm definitely not considering buying from tod's again. disappointment doesn't start to describe how i'm feeling about this right now. what a bunch of shit.

19. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

Is the lack of resoling limited to just rubber soled Tod's?

20. mamamiashoes

mamamiashoes New Member

the leather soles are also attached in a way that can't be taken off without destroying the shoes. both leather and rubber soled tod's are made to be enjoyed for a short time and then thrown away.

source: email from tod's