Tod's sole replacement

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thecentennial, Dec 2, 2010.

1. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

OK, so I have a pair of Tod's loafers, nice shoes, uber comfy..they are not drivers so I am expected to walk in them.

My question is, can the famous Tod's dimpled rubber soles be replaced once worn? For expensive shoes you would think this would be an option..has anyone shipped theirs back to Tod's for repair?

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

repair? they arent damaged. they are worn down.

3. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

My question is, once they are worn down completely, can the soles be replaced?

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

No clue. Never tried and I have several pairs(loafers and dressier loafer/shoes.) I will take the abopve poster at their word...

5. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

No. Tod's shoes cannot be re-soled. Their construction does not, and is not intended to, allow for it. Sorry to say you must go purchase new ones.

6. narcissism

narcissism Senior member

No. Tod's suck.

I should have been more articulate in my criticism of Tod's. These kind of shoes are not meant for the elements, such as walking outside on concrete or any surface for that matter. The little nubs on the sole wear down very quickly and cannot be replaced. Therefore its frustrating to pay $300 + for shoes that you won't get adequate use out of. Go for driving moccasins with solid rubber soles. The Car Shoe by Prada makes nice ones.

7. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

OK, so I have a pair of Tod's loafers, nice shoes, uber comfy..they are not drivers so I am expected to walk in them.

My question is, can the famous Tod's dimpled rubber soles be replaced once worn? For expensive shoes you would think this would be an option..has anyone shipped theirs back to Tod's for repair?

lt hard to say.
    Taking sole off can negative effect upper because it glued to sole and then blake stitch.
    lf sole can be detach from upper proper it could be possible by good repair man.

8. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

I should have been more articulate in my criticism of Tod's. These kind of shoes are not meant for the elements, such as walking outside on concrete or any surface for that matter. The little nubs on the sole wear down very quickly and cannot be replaced. Therefore its frustrating to pay $300 + for shoes that you won't get adequate use out of. Go for driving moccasins with solid rubber soles. The Car Shoe by Prada makes nice ones.

Yeah, Tod's don't really make sense for walking around. Although that's sort of built into the idea of a driving shoe, no?

9. RLP

RLP Senior member

Calls for your pair of shoes

10. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

If you are referring to the ball like or bar like rubber soles at the bottom, the answer is no.

I made a mistake of doing it at a cobbler once. They cut off the bottom and stick a new big piece of rubber sole. It looked awful. Now, I buy these mocs or walking shoes knowing full well this is going to happen. If you dont like it, you just have to find one with a leather sole.

I later went to ask the SA - can the brand actually repair it for me? They referred me to the cobbler.

11. Icarus

Icarus Senior member

That's a good one.

12. Patek

Patek Senior member

One more reason to buy the BB version for around $100 and replace said shoe as necessary.

13. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I have a pair of Tod's and find its support like that of a pair of slipper. They are absolutely if I am on my feet more than a couple of hours.

14. narcissism

narcissism Senior member

One more reason to buy the BB version for around $100 and replace said shoe as necessary.

BB version?