• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

MattyS

Reaction score
I teach at a university and live in a very warm climate, so I tend to wear sport coat combinations and a lot of linen. I'm interested in adding a pair of spectator shoes to my collection, and I'm curious if people have any suggestions concerning what to look for (or what to steer clear of). If you don't like spectators at all or think they can't be pulled off these days, please refrain from commenting. As I said, I'd like to give them a try.

I'd like the shoes -- despite their relative flashiness -- to be as versatile as possible. With that in mind, my main question has to do with the color of the lighter, contrasting part of the shoe. One common option, visible on both the Crockett and Jones Gerrard IV and the Edward Green Malvern III, is a sort of off-white canvas. (Crockett and Jones calls their canvas "stone," whereas Edward Green refers to theirs as "beige." They look pretty similar, though -- at least in the photos.) The warmish, off-white canvas, paired with medium brown calfskin, makes for a slightly less jarring contrast then one sees on shoes that feature bright white calfskin. The reduced (but hardly subtle) contrast might make the shoes a little easier to wear. But I wonder if the warm tone of the canvas will work less well with some trousers than others. The J.Fitzpatrick Kitsap features an even warmer canvas (labeled "hemp" or "biscuit") paired with a noticeably darker calfskin. I suspect they would look great with dark brown trousers, but I have a hard time imagining them working well with lighter beige or khaki trousers.

Any thoughts? Anyone will to share their experiences and/or photos? Thanks in advance!

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of white+dark oak EG via RLPL. I basically own that they are a summer shoe, and therefore only so versatile - they are eye catching, they are going to get some comments. This colorway doesn't really clash with much (perhaps beyond arch conservative suitings like charcoal or navy) - they are always going to make a bit of a statement.

SirThopas

Reaction score
I used to wear spectators a lot - less so since having children and becoming perforce more of a boot guy - and they’re always the shoes of mine that get the most compliments. I have found the canvas can be hard to keep clean (maybe that’s just my ineptitude). The ones I’m most likely to wear now are a custom job by Carmina - burgundy suede with burgundy leather details. Maybe worth looking into next time they have one of their (twice-yearly?) free customisation offers?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Broadstreets, the spectator the company issues every few years. They are dark brown and white leather.

I quite enjoy wearing them! They look nice and are certainly eye catching. People will notice them however being that you'll be one of the few people wearing any fine footwear, it will make you unique.

If they're oxfords, then choose your trousers wisely. :p

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with @bicycleradical, spectators are nice and eye catching.

If you don't mind your shoes being noticed, then spectators make a great summer shoe. I tend to wear them with white, tan, and grey trousers, save for a pair of dark navy/white that I wear with black at night.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A set of wool trousers in in grey would work well for any set of oxford specs.

I agree with this, but also recommend white. I like to pair white trousers with coloured socks and spectators. This breaks up the white-white but emphasizes the summery appeal of the spectator.

I think a lot of it depends on the spectator combinations.

Black/white = black, white, grey, navy.

Light brown/white = white, tan, grey (depends - because sometimes this won't work).

Dark brown/white = white, tan, grey.

I mean, more untraditional types of pants colours could also work if you have nice pants in them. Like I could imagine a forest green looking really nice with brown/white spectators.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can look great, but you do have to be ready for the fact that everyone will notice and comment on your shoes. I really like the look of canvas/leather ones (and they are less overtly dandyish), but agree with the poster who noted that they are hard to keep clean. I had a pair of leather/canvas Cheaney spectators and finally gave up and sold them because they kept getting stained, and the leather parts were very hard to polish without marking the canvas. Herring used to have some very nice spectators

MattyS

Reaction score
They can look great, but you do have to be ready for the fact that everyone will notice and comment on your shoes. I really like the look of canvas/leather ones (and they are less overtly dandyish), but agree with the poster who noted that they are hard to keep clean. I had a pair of leather/canvas Cheaney spectators and finally gave up and sold them because they kept getting stained, and the leather parts were very hard to polish without marking the canvas. Herring used to have some very nice spectators

Are the all-calfskin spectators (or calfskin-suede ones) easier to keep clean?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the all-calfskin spectators (or calfskin-suede ones) easier to keep clean?
Definitely all-calfskin ones are a lot easier to keep clean and polish. You just use a neutral polish. I have an all calfskin pair from AE and they aren't hard at all to keep looking sharp. Calfskin suede ones are not as easy, but probably a little easier than canvas, since you can use a suede brush. But you still run into polishing issues since you don't want to get polish on suede. Some people do not find it all that difficult. I am not one of those people.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Definitely, as the canvas is much more porous than leather (especially crust leather).

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Spectators in the wild!

IMG_0537.jpg
IMG_1371.JPG

William Kazak

Reaction score
I teach at a university and live in a very warm climate, so I tend to wear sport coat combinations and a lot of linen. I'm interested in adding a pair of spectator shoes to my collection, and I'm curious if people have any suggestions concerning what to look for (or what to steer clear of). If you don't like spectators at all or think they can't be pulled off these days, please refrain from commenting. As I said, I'd like to give them a try.

I'd like the shoes -- despite their relative flashiness -- to be as versatile as possible. With that in mind, my main question has to do with the color of the lighter, contrasting part of the shoe. One common option, visible on both the Crockett and Jones Gerrard IV and the Edward Green Malvern III, is a sort of off-white canvas. (Crockett and Jones calls their canvas "stone," whereas Edward Green refers to theirs as "beige." They look pretty similar, though -- at least in the photos.) The warmish, off-white canvas, paired with medium brown calfskin, makes for a slightly less jarring contrast then one sees on shoes that feature bright white calfskin. The reduced (but hardly subtle) contrast might make the shoes a little easier to wear. But I wonder if the warm tone of the canvas will work less well with some trousers than others. The J.Fitzpatrick Kitsap features an even warmer canvas (labeled "hemp" or "biscuit") paired with a noticeably darker calfskin. I suspect they would look great with dark brown trousers, but I have a hard time imagining them working well with lighter beige or khaki trousers.

Any thoughts? Anyone will to share their experiences and/or photos? Thanks in advance!
I took an alternate route. I have a pair of white buck Church's wingtips. I have had them for many years and wear them occasionally. I powder them when needed with a small bag of chalk powder to keep them fresh. Those bags are for white bucks. I added a pair of white buck Nunn Bush shoes like Pat Boone made popular. These shoes "work with"almost any trousers. I would be quite skeptical to have any canvas on a spectator type of shoe. Cleaning would seem impossible to me. I like my shoes clean. Since I wear these shoes so infrequently, I would recommend black leather spectator shoes with white leather and only if you have to get a spectator. IMHO. I hope some of this makes sense to someone. Maybe tan cap toed oxfords would be a more practical choice for you?

Claytr

Reaction score

I have several spectators including the C&J Gerrard (light brown) and Cheaney Edwin (tan) both with off-white canvass insets. I’ve found that they are the ones I reach for the most — particularly with linen suits/pants. I was originally drawn to black and white, so I got the AE Broadstreet. I find the tough to wear without looking like a gangster. The only way I’m comfortable wearing them is with white pants and blue jacket.

Last year I picked up the AE 100 anniversary blue and white linen McAllisters. I’ve worn them with surprising frequency — primarily with blue/white seersucker — and they have not failed to draw compliments.

My recommendation is to go for it!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads