• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for autumn/winter

SirThopas

Reaction score
I’m looking for a pair of what I sometimes call "workhorse" shoes, good for the wetter months (I’m in the UK). Not boots - I have plenty of those - and nothing elegant/dressy/chiselled - of which I also have a fair amount, much of which gets worn very little.

My current workhorses, which I wear in loose rotation, are some grain Edward Green split toe derbies, a very tired pair of grain Crockett & Jones Pembrokes and an even tireder pair of Heschung Crocus. I think the C&J and Heschungs need to be put out to grass. I’m interested in what works for other people.

I like GYW and a sturdy sole, preferably not the ubiquitous studded Dainite. Budget up to £500/$600, though I’ll spend more if it feels worth doing. I’ll generally be wearing these in a casual setting, and the idea is to have something that’s built to last and comfortable - I walk at least five miles a day - but isn’t chunkily/clunkily utilitarian.

stylenwby

Reaction score
I picked up these CJ Grasmere from Division Road in the US. It was a collaboration so they don't stock them anymore, but they've probably have what you're looking for if you check their website.
IMG_20230811_155848.jpg

20230812_085954.jpg

Camerashy

Reaction score
And in the sale too

SirThopas

Reaction score
Ludwig Reiter has a number of "sturdy" models. I own two pairs of their
derbies. I understrand that their London shop has closed. Pefrhaps they
are available from another retailer.

Thank you for the tip. A maker I’ve heard of, but with which I have little familiarity. I’ll investigate.

Treble

Reaction score
Paraboot Avignon are at the smarter end of their offering. JM Weston to take it up a notch, they do some chunky soles as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads