• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Boots Recommendation for a Pilot

edparo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for thoughts and opinions on a purchasing a pair of boots, which I would be wearing during autumn, winter, spring in the colder climates of the world, both for work and in private.

As a pilot a travel around the world from hot to cold and from cold to wet - and vice versa. At work I have to wear a black uniform which implies that the boots are black(ish). I have also contemplated about dark brown boots, which I could darken even further with back shoe cream - don't know if that is a good idea though.

When off duty, away from home, in those cold and/or wet climates I will corduroy trousers or jeans in a color other than black and thus I would rather wear a pair of boots in brown or burgundy in those cases.

Packing four to five pair of shoes and boots would be excessive and simply impossible due to the size of my suitcase and weight.

So now I am looking for boots which I could wear with:
My black pilot uniform
Brown, blue, beige corduroy trousers
Blue jeans
Grey tweed trousers

Currently I am wearing a black Chukka boot by Crockett&Jones which looks less than elegant when worn with blue jeans or brown(ish) corduroy trousers.

These are the options I am currently thinking about:

What are your thoughts?

edparo

Reaction score
Can you try any of them on? Sounds like you will be in these boots for extended hours, so comfort and fit should trump other stylistic considerations. In terms of color I suggest burgundy, especially color 8 cordovan, which should cover for both black and dark brown

Thank you for your input, Timothy. Are you referring to the Alden cordovan leather boot in color 8?

GaiusM

Reaction score
Thank you for your input, Timothy. Are you referring to the Alden cordovan leather boot in color 8?
Pretty sure he's referring to the color, not a specific brand. Lots of makers offer color 8 cordovan.
IMO dark brown or a deep burgundy would go better with everything you listed apart from the black pilot suit. Even then dark brown or burgundy would be serviceable.

edparo

Reaction score
What would work better with black / dark navy blue?

These Chukka boots in dark brown?
Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 20.03.03.png
Or those cordovan Chukka boots in color 8?

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 20.03.19.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads