• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JFWR, I stand corrected. Thanks!

I've been invited to a cocktail party on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth hosted by the captain. I am planning on wearing a serge navy blazer by Richard Anderson Ltd., off-white flannel trousers, blue dress shirt, blue/yellow/green tie striped tie, and my black & white spectators. Thoughts?

I'd avoid the green in the tie. Blue doesn't pair well with green, although you may be able to get away with it because there's "colour between", but then again, it'd still be in contrast with the blue of the blazer and the shirt. Perhaps another tie is in order?

I tend to think black/white spectators go great with an off-white pair of trousers, perhaps worn with a pair of blue socks just to break up the white-white. Given it's a cocktail party, I assume this is during the evening hours? If so, the black/white suits the occasion more, but if it's going to be during the day if you have a pair of brown/white spectators I might suggest that that.

Terrence O'Connor

Reaction score
Old pair, hand made in Brooklyn, NY
IMG_2510.jpeg

Brummelwannabe

Reaction score
I'd avoid the green in the tie. Blue doesn't pair well with green, although you may be able to get away with it because there's "colour between", but then again, it'd still be in contrast with the blue of the blazer and the shirt. Perhaps another tie is in order?

I tend to think black/white spectators go great with an off-white pair of trousers, perhaps worn with a pair of blue socks just to break up the white-white. Given it's a cocktail party, I assume this is during the evening hours? If so, the black/white suits the occasion more, but if it's going to be during the day if you have a pair of brown/white spectators I might suggest that that.
"...avoid the green in the tie."

Thanks. I'm a bit red/green color-blind so that sort of thing eludes me. I should have brought out the ol' color wheel, but I thought blue and green being the colors of the seas it would work. As we will be in southern climes I will go with blue and yellow in my tie.

This is a long cruise, San Francisco to Barcelona by way of the Panama Canal, 29 days, so there will no doubt be events in the day as well as the night, so I will be taking both the black & white and the cognac & white spectators. As I will returning on Holland America's Rotterdam from Amsterdam in early October, because of the cooler temps the cognac & whites would be spiff with my oatmeal houndstooth tweed coat and solid brown flannels. Agree? Or would the black & whites work, too?

Attachments

• Richard-Anderson Sports Coat.jpg
    Richard-Anderson Sports Coat.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 36

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"...avoid the green in the tie."

Thanks. I'm a bit red/green color-blind so that sort of thing eludes me. I should have brought out the ol' color wheel, but I thought blue and green being the colors of the seas it would work. As we will be in southern climes I will go with blue and yellow in my tie.

This is a long cruise, San Francisco to Barcelona by way of the Panama Canal, 29 days, so there will no doubt be events in the day as well as the night, so I will be taking both the black & white and the cognac & white spectators. As I will returning on Holland America's Rotterdam from Amsterdam in early October, because of the cooler temps the cognac & whites would be spiff with my oatmeal houndstooth tweed coat and solid brown flannels. Agree? Or would the black & whites work, too?

There are people who disagree with me on blue/green, but a famous fashion proverb is that, "Blue and green should never be seen without a colour between". Whether everyone agrees with this viewpoint is one thing. There is a tradition that blue/green sort of has a nautical theme to it, like in the Seattle Mariners and Seahawks uniforms, but I just don't think it's a particularly good look in general. It has to be a very specific shade of green/blue to go together well well. Like a lime green with a teal look better than navy and forest. My general idea is that I either wear green or blue.

I think the cognac/white spectators would indeed work with that jacket, though October might be a bit late in the year to wear spectators, but I think given the weather is usually good till then you can get away with it.

Colour wise it definitely works, though.

With brown flannels, I would not recommend wearing white/black. I think the contrast would be too much there.

Brummelwannabe

Reaction score
Thanks! If I can find a silk striped tie with teal and lime green, I'll go with that.

Here's the spectators in question. Do you think the perforations on the white part of the cognac and white specs relegate them to warm weather times?

And I don't mean to hijack Matty S's thread, but as we are discussing how to pair spectators, could you give me your opinion of the cognac & navy paired with my Hickey Freeman navy striped suit? I think it looks stunning together. Actually, everybody, please comment if you wish.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Spectators 1.jpg
    Spectators 1.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Spectators 2.jpg
    Spectators 2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 53

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! If I can find a silk striped tie with teal and lime green, I'll go with that.

Here's the spectators in question. Do you think the perforations on the white part of the cognac and white specs relegate them to warm weather times?

And I don't mean to hijack Matty S's thread, but as we are discussing how to pair spectators, could you give me your opinion of the cognac & navy paired with my Hickey Freeman navy striped suit? I think it looks stunning together. Actually, everybody, please comment if you wish.

Thanks!

I wasn't suggesting teal and lime green per se, I just was saying that kind of combination works. I'd actually consider something else for the tie. Blue shirt, blue jacket, you could go with red, purple, orange, yellow, etc. And I also meant that green would pair with teal better as a whole outfit - it would still contrast badly with the blue in the outfit.

Basically, just don't mix blue and green. lol.

Yes, the perforations are decidedly STRICTLY a warm weather shoe. Spectators are already summer wear, but those are -exclusively- summer. I wouldn't wear them in anything but hot weather. Those pairs come off as extremely vintage style precisely because of the perforations - which is a good thing. But that vintage style means it is -exclusively- for summer.

My general theory about spectators is that you can get away with the darker colours for longer in the year, but you can't wear spectators in properly cold weather.

As for the other spectators, can I see a better picture of them with your pants? Preferably a full outfit view? The angle is so weird I am having a hard time with picturing them.

Brummelwannabe

Reaction score
Understand now about the colors for the tie. Definitely silk with the serge blazer, right?

Does this corrected angle help you?

Attachments

• Spectators 2.jpg
    Spectators 2.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 46

LJ1891

Reaction score
Who even makes a nice spectator derby/blucher now adays? I understand some makers are willing to MTO. But, what about RTW?

Brummelwannabe

Reaction score
Shoe Passion still offers my black & white spectators, but they're oxfords. On their website they're under the Henry Stevens line and designated "Marshall FBO." They also make monk strap spectators which I find odd-looking.

Allen Edmonds occasionally put out spectators in black & white and brown & white.

To my surprise, Crockett and Jones doesn't offer spectators (in England I believe they're called "correspondents").

They are well worth the search. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads