• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExhibitA

Reaction score
Thinking about a DJ 16200. Not a fan of the jubilee bracelet and the PCLs on the 116200.
Either that, or an Explorer I.

Just need a clean and simple steel sports watch for everyday wear.

Sounds like the Explorer 39mm would be perfect. It's understated and very nice on the wrist.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunate as well. I am not surprised though. TPP has become incredibly big, and I have noticed more and more frequently that it is a bit of a platform for advertisements and press releases.

I haven't posted there in years. Barely even lurk anymore. Was more collegial and informative back when Dr Mao was actively coordinating/running the place. It turned from a friendly coffee shop where you could learn from some knowledgable folks ( and a few characters), discuss the latest changes at Breguet or the newest models from PP, and congratulate Anthony on getting his rare RM9, to becoming more of a shopping mall filled with strangers.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
read that tale of the stable boy. #WTF?

Laurens

Reaction score
Just took this shot of my vintage Seiko diver:

Behind the scenes of my ghetto rig:

Quarks

Reaction score

Lovely Flake!! I am digging it!

By the way, some interesting 'goings on' at thepurists...

http://home.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-17/pi-5823173/ti-856998/s-0/
http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2013/04/a-tale-of-stable-boy-who-became-knight.html

Interesting for those who have followed SJX.

Wow. This is shocking. I am an avid watch collector and have been following thepurists since Dr. Thomas Mao's days.
SJX is well known in the community and when he began, he began humbly as a young boy who shared a genuine passion for timepieces.
I have followed the website and the moderators on and off, and have witnessed how the site 'prospered' and management changed over the 10 years. People come and go. The founders decidedly over the years took the backseat role. My last straw was when they removed FP Journe from the relatively new watchprosite forum at the time. I never frequent the site like how I used to, maybe once every 3-4 months. The moderator then of FPJ (who was doing a fantastic job voluntarily because of his immense passion and respect for his timepieces crafted exquisitely by Monsieur Journe) moved himself to TZ, and currently, doing a marvellous job there.

The abrupt departure of SJX is shocking. Obviously, there is more to that story in parallel to the tale of the stable boy who became a knight.
All the best to him, deep down, to those who have been following thepurists, knows the immense contribution and influence SJX has made during his time in the watch community. My respect and condolences to SJX. The community has yet again, lost one of the true knights in this vicious and corporate world. Thepurists has indeed lost its mirrior finish, consumed by its own reflection on how it used to be.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
laurens, that rig is somethin else man. well done. nice watch too.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I witnessed a similar implosion a few years back at MTBR. Also as a result of advertisers taking control of editorial content.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about a DJ 16200. Not a fan of the jubilee bracelet and the PCLs on the 116200.
Either that, or an Explorer I.

Just need a clean and simple steel sports watch for everyday wear.

Vote here for the Explorer I. My 114270 is 36mm and I think it's perfect. Just took it with me for a week-long trip to Cancun filled with sun, sea water, sand, chlorinated pool water, sunscreen, two vomiting kids and the watch withstood all that and asked what else I could throw at it. Not a single ding or blemish on it that couldn't be washed off with soap and water at the end of a long day. Love it.

stafa

Reaction score
I find the Milgauss oddly pretty, in an understated, purposeful kind of way. The lack of a bezel makes it a but more subtle, and unless you get the green glass, there's nothing but the little detail of the second hand to make it at all unusual.

As a steel dress watch that's rugged (and anti- magnetic!), it seems like a pretty good option.

The Milgauss is an interesting piece (and very rare for a Rolex), but the second hand and the color of the markers have always thrown me off.
Sounds like the Explorer 39mm would be perfect. It's understated and very nice on the wrist.

I was thinking of staying with the 36mm. I have a 6.5 inch wrist and to me, the watch is almost too simple for it to look good at 39mm (don't know if that makes sense)
Vote here for the Explorer I. My 114270 is 36mm and I think it's perfect. Just took it with me for a week-long trip to Cancun filled with sun, sea water, sand, chlorinated pool water, sunscreen, two vomiting kids and the watch withstood all that and asked what else I could throw at it. Not a single ding or blemish on it that couldn't be washed off with soap and water at the end of a long day. Love it.

Yeah 36mm is a good size to me, and both the Explorer and Datejust are that size. I feel both can take that sort of abuse, but some days I feel I would prefer the slightly dressier appearance of the Datejust, and the other days I feel like going with the Explorer 1 as it isn't as ubiquitous as the DJ. Or maybe I should find another piece that speaks to me
smile.gif

Last edited:

ExhibitA

Reaction score
It's really a crux. I looked into the Omega line, Fortis, Brieitling and then got stuck on Rolex. When I purchased my first luxe watch it took a year or so to narrow down what I needed. It was really a tough decision. The Milgauss was on my list as well, but the deterrent was the Omega version, which was very similar and had a higher gauss rating for the Rolex price point. The Explorer was perfect in my opinion at 39mm - very clean and I'd go as far as saying the almost "perfect" Rolex watch. The Explorer II felt a bit too sporty and at 42mm I felt it was a bit too large. I also was close to the DJII, I liked the price point, but it had more of a formal appeal to it. The GMTIIc stainless steel was the perfect match for me as I needed a second and possibly third time zone to track when traveling. I liked the polished links, which gave it a more dressed up look and at the same time the numbered bezel is a sporty touch. It was a long process to make a decision, but the GMT was best for me. It works at the bar, it works when traveling and it works in a business meeting.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
advertisers taking control of editorial content.

I have really only been sucked into the world of watch appreciation via this thread, and don't haunt other watch fora. But I can't help feeling that the reason this thread is so good is that there are no watch makers advertising on this forum, which nevertheless reflects a demographic with a high level of interest in the subject.

Turning that around, I think we'd get a far more sensible discussion of certain shoe brands and outlets sometimes if we opened a thread about them on a watch forum!

Anyway, I only came here to look at the shoes, but thanks for the education...one of these days I'm going to do something very silly in a watch shop thanks to you lot. In the mean time, I've a whole new hobby with which to kill time at airports!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads