• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but id be glad to answer any questions via PM. :)

I would contribute to such a thread, sounds cool! But Stitchy since you mention it I do in fact have some questions and pix of a ring I'd like to show you.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a very unhealthy craving for a vintage Daytona :(

I've never really been a fan of Daytonas, but this 1964 pre-Daytona is just awesome:

rolex_predaytona.jpg

Cylon

Reaction score
Pre-Daytona chronos are
bounce2.gif
drool.gif

and the new smooth bezel datejust II is amazing as well

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would contribute to such a thread, sounds cool! But Stitchy since you mention it I do in fact have some questions and pix of a ring I'd like to show you.

go for it!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the black bay!! ^^^
Here's my latest
a2ytu3ym.jpg
nybudyry.jpg
uzehusu5.jpg

Not sure I'm going to keep it but it sure is a hot watch. And hard to get right now...
In general I just don't like the Sky-Dweller, but I do think the dial combination you chose looks pretty good for that watch.
Quote:
I've never really been a fan of Daytonas, but this 1964 pre-Daytona is just awesome:
rolex_predaytona.jpg
Wow, no love for Daytonas. I have always liked the manual wind Daytonas particularly those with the screw down purshers, but I can see why you like the non-Daytonas. Actually, I'm not sure a 1964 Rolex chronograph is techincally a Pre-Daytona as the Daytona was already out in 1964 (although it may have been released prior to the Daytona, there have been several versions of chronographs that preceded the Daytona). I believe Rolex continued to make that style along side the Daytonas for a few years.
Pre-Daytona chronos are
bounce2.gif
drool.gif

and the new smooth bezel datejust II is amazing as well
I just don't love the Datejust II. The proportions look off to me.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been tempted by the Datejust 2 but then I see how small the winding crown looks in comparison to the watch case. Also I'd have the bracelet and top of the case brushed.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, no love for Daytonas. 

Some of the older ones are obviously very nice, it's just that I'm not very fond of chronos in general. I'm pretty sure I'd never use the complication and I'm also mostly drawn to very simple watches. That said, I do like the Speedy, IWC 3706 + 3713 as well as the pre (or not) Daytona above.

Agree with you on the Datejust 2, which I actually wanted to like (if only to like something from Rolexes current lineup), but I much prefer something like this:

work1600swvk2.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THAT, is a beautiful watch. i want it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been tempted by the Datejust 2 but then I see how small the winding crown looks in comparison to the watch case. Also I'd have the bracelet and top of the case brushed.
Yes, I have no idea why they think they need to polish the lugs, center links of the bracelet etc. I much prefer the more subdued brushed finish used on the majority of their previous generation of watches.
Some of the older ones are obviously very nice, it's just that I'm not very fond of chronos in general. I'm pretty sure I'd never use the complication and I'm also mostly drawn to very simple watches. That said, I do like the Speedy, IWC 3706 + 3713 as well as the pre (or not) Daytona above.
Agree with you on the Datejust 2, which I actually wanted to like (if only to like something from Rolexes current lineup), but I much prefer something like this:
work1600swvk2.jpg
If you haven't needed or used a chronograph in the past to time something, well then you probably would never use that function even if you had a chronograph. I have 4 chronographs, at one point I used the chronograph function a lot to track billable hours. But now I don't use the chrono function much. I still like how they look and I think most people buy them for the look. My friend has had a Speedy Pro for at least 7 years and he has never used the chrono function.

I really like the IWC 3706 and 3713. They are some of the few IWCs I'd be interested in owning. I'm not that fond of their current pieces.

Thats a beautiful time only Rolex in the photo. Rugged elegance.

gopherblue

Reaction score

Why don't you start a "Ask Stitchy about Diamonds (and other gemstones) threak"? I have some hard questions.

:cheers:
i have thought about it, im just not sure i want to. i dont want to come off as shilling, and im not sure it really fits here as a dedicated thread.
but id be glad to answer any questions via PM. :)

I'd be happy to also volunteer my services too. No affiliation with the diamond/jewelry industries, other than the fact that my extreme OCD tendencies and jaded view of the value of diamonds caused me to learn far more than the average bear when it came time to buy my (now) wife an engagement ring. I combed Pricescope and other sources--my past loss of time and associated brain-space is your gain. I am now an obscenely over-educated consumer with respect to a particular luxury good. However, other than the engagement ring, I have only used this storehouse of knowledge once since. Bollocks.

Caveat being that I am no expert, and that everyone should do their own research, but I'd happily volunteer what consumer-oriented knowledge I have.

If we started a dedicated thread, no reason Stitchy, myself and others (Mafoofan comes to mind) couldn't offer guidance--so long as folks understood the basis for the advice (or in Stitchy's case, his affiliation), I think it'd be ok.

Goph

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just don't love the Datejust II.  The proportions look off to me.

imho the smooth bezel for the DJ II looks a lot better than the fluted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads