• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, I have no idea why they think they need to polish the lugs, center links of the bracelet etc.  I much prefer the more subdued brushed finish used on the majority of their previous generation of watches.
If you haven't needed or used a chronograph in the past to time something, well then you probably would never use that function even if you had a chronograph.  I have 4 chronographs, at one point I used the chronograph function a lot to track billable hours.  But now I don't use the chrono function much.  I still like how they look and I think most people buy them for the look.  My friend has had a Speedy Pro for at least 7 years and he has never used the chrono function.

I really like the IWC 3706 and 3713.  They are some of the few IWCs I'd be interested in owning.  I'm not that fond of their current pieces.

Thats a beautiful time only Rolex in the photo.  Rugged elegance.   

When I wear a chrono, I find plenty of uses for it. It is certainly convenient, but when I am not wearing one, there are other ways to time things, so it is hardly essential.
My daughter, for example, uses one of mine to time practice exercises for music and sports. She could use a clock or cell phone also, but she finds a chrono function easier. The same is true with a rotating bezel on a dive watch. It is pretty convenient for all sorts of things, but also easy to do without.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I use the bezel on my sub all the time.

imho the smooth bezel for the DJ II looks a lot better than the fluted.

IMO that goes for the old DJs as well, like the one in the pic above.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I wear a chrono, I find plenty of uses for it. It is certainly convenient, but when I am not wearing one, there are other ways to time things, so it is hardly essential.
My daughter, for example, uses one of mine to time practice exercises for music and sports. She could use a clock or cell phone also, but she finds a chrono function easier. The same is true with a rotating bezel on a dive watch. It is pretty convenient for all sorts of things, but also easy to do without.

Don't get me wrong, if I want to I can find uses for the chronograph but its not something I use that often these days. I think for most people chronographs are more of a novelty than a necessity. I've used the bezel on my Sub on occasion, but not that often. Most recently, I used it for parking meters.

oisin

Reaction score
no work to do so browsed a bit in beverly hills. some quick wrist shots. I don't know why i said the 1931 was too small. when i put it on i felt it was too big--too long really. the proportions just aren't right for me. the other thing i decided having the MUTM39 on my wrist is that I think I really want gold in whatever watch i get next, which sucks ($$$ wise). The steel seemed too sterile. The rose gold was really nice. loved the proportions on the PP 5146 (would prefer a strap), though not 100% in love with the numerals.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice. im a big fan of the PP AC, i like it better on a strap, but either way, i like it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Oisin,

I'm not a fan of Patek 5146. I just don't like its dial.

If you don't have a yellow or rose gold watch in your collection you should focus on adding one. The cost over SS sucks, but its nice to have some diversity in case color.

I like the Reverso 1931, but it does look a bit long for your wrist. Rectangular watches, particularly those that have a flat case back rather than a contoured case can sometimes be a tough fit.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

im in two minds about this
i want to sell off my 116610 and 15300 to get a 5711
good idea or no?
i

I may be in the market for a 16610 in black with the inner bezel engraving. PM if interested!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im in two minds about this
i want to sell off my 116610 and 15300 to get a 5711
good idea or no?
It depends...do you really love the PP 5711? Have you actually tried it on? My only issue with the Nautilus is I found the bracelet a bit thinner than I would have liked...I found it almost dainty in feel. But thats just my 2 cents.

Also, do you own other watches? If not will that 1 watch serve all of your needs.

If the Sub is your 1 rugged sport watch, you may want to hang on to it if you use it a lot for high impact activities. The 5711 is a great watch, but its just not built to withstand the kind of punishment that you can subject a Sub to.

In the end only you can decide whether it makes sense for you to sell your Sub and RO to get a Nautilus.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i
I may be in the market for a 16610 in black with the inner bezel engraving. PM if interested!
The guy you asked to PM you has the next model, ref 116610 which has the ceramic bezel, maxi dial, and wider case shoulders.

Cylon

Reaction score
...the other thing i decided having the MUTM39 on my wrist is that I think I really want gold in whatever watch i get next, which sucks ($$$ wise). The steel seemed too sterile. The rose gold was really nice.

Now that you've said it, I think a big part--or rather the entirety--of the reason I have a hard time pulling the trigger on a brown strap is precisely because of this fact. It is definitely a COLD dial, and certainly something to think about. As some of you may know, I kinda soured on it for awhile after I bought the speedy, but I have come back to it in recent weeks. I think a new strap will help, and heres some I found. I think the watch will look FREAKING AWESOME with something like these two:

Sometimes I think I'm a bit colorblind when it comes to navy but the right strap is navy right?
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Navy to me... but that is also coming from someone who is slightly colorblind. It looks a bit 'grayvy.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads