1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Yes, I have no idea why they think they need to polish the lugs, center links of the bracelet etc. I much prefer the more subdued brushed finish used on the majority of their previous generation of watches.
    If you haven't needed or used a chronograph in the past to time something, well then you probably would never use that function even if you had a chronograph. I have 4 chronographs, at one point I used the chronograph function a lot to track billable hours. But now I don't use the chrono function much. I still like how they look and I think most people buy them for the look. My friend has had a Speedy Pro for at least 7 years and he has never used the chrono function.

I really like the IWC 3706 and 3713. They are some of the few IWCs I'd be interested in owning. I'm not that fond of their current pieces.

Thats a beautiful time only Rolex in the photo. Rugged elegance.

2. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior Member

I'd be happy to also volunteer my services too. No affiliation with the diamond/jewelry industries, other than the fact that my extreme OCD tendencies and jaded view of the value of diamonds caused me to learn far more than the average bear when it came time to buy my (now) wife an engagement ring. I combed Pricescope and other sources--my past loss of time and associated brain-space is your gain. I am now an obscenely over-educated consumer with respect to a particular luxury good. However, other than the engagement ring, I have only used this storehouse of knowledge once since. Bollocks.

Caveat being that I am no expert, and that everyone should do their own research, but I'd happily volunteer what consumer-oriented knowledge I have.

If we started a dedicated thread, no reason Stitchy, myself and others (Mafoofan comes to mind) couldn't offer guidance--so long as folks understood the basis for the advice (or in Stitchy's case, his affiliation), I think it'd be ok.

Goph

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

3. Warren G.

Warren G. Distinguished Member

imho the smooth bezel for the DJ II looks a lot better than the fluted.

4. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

When I wear a chrono, I find plenty of uses for it. It is certainly convenient, but when I am not wearing one, there are other ways to time things, so it is hardly essential.
    My daughter, for example, uses one of mine to time practice exercises for music and sports. She could use a clock or cell phone also, but she finds a chrono function easier. The same is true with a rotating bezel on a dive watch. It is pretty convenient for all sorts of things, but also easy to do without.

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

^ I use the bezel on my sub all the time.

IMO that goes for the old DJs as well, like the one in the pic above.

6. Dino944

Don't get me wrong, if I want to I can find uses for the chronograph but its not something I use that often these days. I think for most people chronographs are more of a novelty than a necessity. I've used the bezel on my Sub on occasion, but not that often. Most recently, I used it for parking meters.

7. oisin

oisin Senior Member

no work to do so browsed a bit in beverly hills. some quick wrist shots. I don't know why i said the 1931 was too small. when i put it on i felt it was too big--too long really. the proportions just aren't right for me. the other thing i decided having the MUTM39 on my wrist is that I think I really want gold in whatever watch i get next, which sucks ($$$ wise). The steel seemed too sterile. The rose gold was really nice. loved the proportions on the PP 5146 (would prefer a strap), though not 100% in love with the numerals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

nice. im a big fan of the PP AC, i like it better on a strap, but either way, i like it.

9. Dino944

Hi Oisin,

I'm not a fan of Patek 5146. I just don't like its dial.

If you don't have a yellow or rose gold watch in your collection you should focus on adding one. The cost over SS sucks, but its nice to have some diversity in case color.

I like the Reverso 1931, but it does look a bit long for your wrist. Rectangular watches, particularly those that have a flat case back rather than a contoured case can sometimes be a tough fit.

10. tomee

tomee Senior Member

im in two minds about this
    i want to sell off my 116610 and 15300 to get a 5711

good idea or no?

11. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Distinguished Member

i

I may be in the market for a 16610 in black with the inner bezel engraving. PM if interested!

12. Dino944

It depends...do you really love the PP 5711? Have you actually tried it on? My only issue with the Nautilus is I found the bracelet a bit thinner than I would have liked...I found it almost dainty in feel. But thats just my 2 cents.

Also, do you own other watches? If not will that 1 watch serve all of your needs.

If the Sub is your 1 rugged sport watch, you may want to hang on to it if you use it a lot for high impact activities. The 5711 is a great watch, but its just not built to withstand the kind of punishment that you can subject a Sub to.

In the end only you can decide whether it makes sense for you to sell your Sub and RO to get a Nautilus.

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

A little dressier for me today..

[​IMG]

14. stu00a

stu00a Distinguished Member

What sub?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

15. Dino944

The guy you asked to PM you has the next model, ref 116610 which has the ceramic bezel, maxi dial, and wider case shoulders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.